Monoxide

The Trump Presidency (take 2)

127,849 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I'm actually impressed you could format a tweet in such a bizarre manner.

Talent I picked up from @WhenFalconsWin:tiphat:  I'm impressed you can compliment and diss all in one sentence.

HolyMoses likes this

7 minutes ago, big_dog said:

Talent I picked up from @WhenFalconsWin:tiphat:  I'm impressed you can compliment and diss all in one sentence.

At least you admit you steal my good stuff on here...I can respect that.

18 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

The most outrageous aspect of the column is the claim by Alexander that Martin Luther King Jr. inspired her to write it. But he was a staunch Zionist, who said, “When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You are talking anti-Semitism.” It is certainly possible that he would have been critical of certain Israeli policies today, but I am confident that he would have been appalled at her unfair attack on the nation state of the Jewish people and especially on her misuse of his good name to support anti-Israel bigotry.

I don't subscribe to this either.  I think you can be critical of Israel and not be anti-Semtic.  You can even criticize Zionists for blindly supporting Israel.  But if you categorically assault Zionists, put all the blame on Israel without recognizing that there have been failures on the other side as well (without saying there is an equivalency on way or the other) and if you focus on the Palestinians and ignore others (Kurds are aninteresting example here, as you are happy to pull out of Syria and let them get slattered) it is fair question the selective indignation..  

"Letter to an Anti-Zionist Friend" is an open letter falsely attributed to Martin Luther King Jr. that expressed support for Zionism and declared that "anti-Zionist is inherently anti-Semitic, and ever will be so."[1] The letter has been widely quoted on the internet and in a speech of the politician Ariel Sharon. The proclaimed sources of the letter, like an appearance in the Saturday Review from August 1967, do not exist. The first known reference to the text appeared 1999, over thirty years after King's death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_to_an_Anti-Zionist_Friend

"if mlk were alive today, he'd definitely back the israeli apartheid state" is certainly something

With all the chaos and Democratic triumphs last week, most of the nation missed out on news just before Donald Trump opened the government back up after caving to Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday evening. The 35-day shutdown was the longest in American history.

The Washington Post reports Republican members of the Senate met for lunch on Thursday and began pointing fingers at each other as to who was responsible for the disastrous shutdown. Vice President Mike Pence and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell were in attendance and McConnell took a big hit from Republican Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin. According to several witnesses, Johnson who was frustrated with failed votes to reopen the government darted at McConnell, “This is your fault.” McConnell fired back, “Are you suggesting I’m enjoying this?”

Reports came in from others who attended the closed-door session and who choose to remain anonymous, that there were several other “heated moments” before Thursday’s vote was taken between Democrats and Republicans in the Senate, which was presented to Trump—and later deemed a waste of time. The unnecessary shutdown was all due to Donald Trump, an illegitimate president, who failed to keep a promise to his supporters after telling them he could make Mexico pay for his ridiculous Mexican border wall.

1 hour ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I'm getting a little tired hearing this argument that Dems better not attack Trump for his many, many flaws and mistakes as president. 

Viciously and unrelentingly attacking their opponent is how Republicans have won elections these past several decades.  So GTFO with this "oh but Dems must not attack Rep candidates and must put forth a positive agenda with policy details and tell their stories."

It's both...but to suggest that Dems shouldn't attack the incompetence, corruption, and weakness of Trump and the GOP is stupid.

The rules seem to always be different for Dems, they have to be perfect in every way or they get torn to shreds while Mr P Grabber gets elected.

8 minutes ago, achilles return said:

"if mlk were alive today, he'd definitely back the israeli apartheid state" is certainly something

Shame on Dershowitz for using a fake quote and shame on me for posting it.  I am sorry.  

I am NOT going to assert that it reflects his views, because that a cheap B.S. ploy of misappropriated quotes used as propaganda.  I hate that **** and I hate that I got duped here.

PLEASE note that I did NOT use the quote to support my position, and, in fact, distinguished that blanket accusation from my personal concerns.  

According to Sundquist, King "paid frequent tribute to Jewish support for black rights, defended Israel's right to exist, supported the Jewish state during the Six-Day War (while calling for a negotiated settlement in keeping with his advocacy of nonviolence), and on more than one occasion opposed the anti-Zionism then taking increasing hold in the Black Power movement." According to Sundquist, while the letter is a hoax, the sentiments it expresses are those of King.[14] Sundquist states that the positions expressed in the forged letter "are in no way at odds with King's views."[2]

Wise asserts that King "appears never to have made any public comment about Zionism per se." According to Wise, the Lipset quote does not support the claim that opposition to Zionism was inherently anti-Semitic, and the comment in question may have been limited to the specific circumstances: "As for what King would say today about Israel, Zionism, and the Palestinian struggle, one can only speculate."[4] Kiblawi and Youmans suggest that a reliance on King's views in this matter constitutes a fallacious argument from authority, since Middle East issues were not among King's areas of expertise. They also assert that the Lipset quote was a reply to explicitly anti-white and anti-Semitic militancy of the time, and that most modern-day renditions omit this "crucial context".[7]

58 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

I'm not posting this because I subscribe to it.

I'm posting to see if @Psychic Gibbonand @Billy Ocean's heads explode.

8 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

@HolyMoses I do love that you’re quoting Dershowitz now.

Your reading comprehension sucks.  Did I not sufficiently contrast the reason for my posting.

Next time I will say "I don't subscribe to this but I am posting to make your head explode.

1 minute ago, HolyMoses said:

Your reading comprehension sucks.  Did I not sufficiently contrast the reason for my posting.

Next time I will say "I don't subscribe to this but I am posting to make your head explode.

No I saw that part. One of the things that keeps me logging in here is watching you find new ways to embarrass yourself.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

7 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

No I saw that part. One of the things that keeps me logging in here is watching you find new ways to embarrass yourself.

That's ironic.  One of the reasons I DON'T log on so much is that it depresses me to see  you embarrass yourself.

27 minutes ago, big_dog said:

With all the chaos and Democratic triumphs last week, most of the nation missed out on news just before Donald Trump opened the government back up after caving to Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Friday evening. The 35-day shutdown was the longest in American history.

The Washington Post reports Republican members of the Senate met for lunch on Thursday and began pointing fingers at each other as to who was responsible for the disastrous shutdown. Vice President Mike Pence and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell were in attendance and McConnell took a big hit from Republican Senator Ron Johnson of Wisconsin. According to several witnesses, Johnson who was frustrated with failed votes to reopen the government darted at McConnell, “This is your fault.” McConnell fired back, “Are you suggesting I’m enjoying this?”

Reports came in from others who attended the closed-door session and who choose to remain anonymous, that there were several other “heated moments” before Thursday’s vote was taken between Democrats and Republicans in the Senate, which was presented to Trump—and later deemed a waste of time. The unnecessary shutdown was all due to Donald Trump, an illegitimate president, who failed to keep a promise to his supporters after telling them he could make Mexico pay for his ridiculous Mexican border wall.

Donald Trump an illegitimate president...that's where I got my biggest laugh.

5 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

That's ironic.  One of the reasons I DON'T log on so much is that it depresses me to see  you embarrass yourself.

Grammar school antics at its finest.