Monoxide

The Trump Presidency (take 2)

135,461 posts in this topic

New racial controversy batters DeSantis

MIAMI — A Republican activist who donated more than $20,000 to Ron DeSantis and lined up a speech for him at President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club called President Obama a “F---- MUSLIM N----” on Twitter recently, in addition to other inflammatory remarks.

Steven M. Alembik told POLITICO Wednesday he wrote the Obama tweet in anger, that he’s “absolutely not” a racist and that he understood that DeSantis’s campaign for governor would need to distance himself from the comments — which the campaign promptly did.

Confirmed: not a racist.  Thank goodness we got that straightened out.  Anything else to say about it?

Alembik, a self-employed data and email services provider in Boca Raton who has had some Republican campaign clients, said it was unfair to call DeSantis a racist. Alembik, who has contributed a total of $22,920 over the years to DeSantis, said there was a double standard for white people when it came to using the N-word.

“So somebody like Chris Rock can get up onstage and use the word and there’s no problem? But some white guy says it and he’s a racist? Really?” the 67-year-old Alembik said, noting that what’s considered racially charged language now wasn’t racist when he was a kid. “I grew up in New York in the ‘50s. We were the k----. They were the n------. They were the goyim. And those were the s----.”

Initially, Alembik said he didn’t believe he wrote that but then, after reviewing the tweet, said that “when I write anything inflammatory, it’s because I’m seriously pissed off. I’m an emotional human being. Do I have a filter on what I say? In public, yes. Would I use that word in public? No. This is Twitter.”

Smooth.

Carter, Andrews_31, mdrake34 and 1 other like this

21 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Yeah.  You have the chance to have President Sparticus -- is it really fair to deny the country the benefit of his courage, intelligence, charisma and leadership?

How is Corey Booker/Spartacus memes not a thing?  I googled it and didn’t find anything.

AF89 and JDaveG like this

12 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

For what it's worth, I should say again -- perhaps the greatest peril to Kavanaugh and to Republicans generally is that Kavanaugh is seated, and then an investigation proceeds at the state level and finds the charges credible.  In that scenario, if the Democrats re-take the Senate, Kavanaugh could be impeached by the House (which the Dems will take) and probably removed.  That denies the Republicans a Supreme Court seat they badly want.  So rushing things has peril that I don't think most people are considering right now.

Having said that, if the accuser won't cooperate, it is what it is -- he'll be confirmed next week and the chips will fall where they may.

Instead of saying she would only testify if the FBI investigated, Ford's attorney said she would testify if Grassley subpoenaed Judge and Smyth.  The FBI could only investigate if Trump ordered them to, like HW did, and while yes, Trump could have easily ordered that, it would have yet been easier to put the onus on Grassley to exercise subpoena power, which he could do even more easily than Trump ordering the FBI investigation.  She had to know Trump would never authorize it, and how it negatively impacts her for not agreeing based on a condition precedent to which the other side would never agree.  The optics would have been better blaming Grassley for running a kangaroo court for not subpoenaing the proper witnesses.

JDaveG likes this

3 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Instead of saying she would only testify if the FBI investigated, Ford's attorney said she would testify if Grassley subpoenaed Judge and Smyth.  The FBI could only investigate if Trump ordered them to, like HW did, and while yes, Trump could have easily ordered that, it would have yet been easier to put the onus on Grassley to exercise subpoena power, which he could do even more easily than Trump ordering the FBI investigation.  She had to know Trump would never authorize it, and how it negatively impacts her for not agreeing based on a condition precedent to which the other side would never agree.  The optics would have been better blaming Grassley for running a kangaroo court for not subpoenaing the proper witnesses.

He should subpoena both of them yesterday. 

mdrake34 likes this

4 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

How is Corey Booker/Spartacus memes not a thing?  I googled it and didn’t find anything.

Try right wing sites?

He generally got praise from the left and center left for leading the charge on releasing documents. 

6 hours ago, AF89 said:

That ish was nuts. I've never seen anything like it

Despite the (low) quality of the opponents, this is VERY challenging week for the United.  Starting with the Saturday game in the intense heat AND high altitude in Colorado really requires a focus on recovery.  Instead, they travel further West and play in California on three days rest.  If you have not competed at altitude, you really can not appreciate the challenge of both playing, then recovering.  I used to always get sick training in Colorado Springs. 

So the lackluster performance against a weak opponent last night is probably attributable to Saturday's game.

Now, after a super late Wednesday game, they have to fly cross country and play on what is essentially one day's rest against a playoff team fighting for playoff position.

An upset loss at home would not surprise me.  At least there is a full week to get ready for the key match of the season against the Red Bulls.

4 points in the next two games will probably secure the Supporters' Shield.  3 points would be ok.  Anything less than that and it will be dicey over the final three games, which should all be W's, but the RedBulls would probably control their own destiny. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

He should subpoena both of them yesterday. 

That is also what is bugging me tremendously about this, it's claimed by our resident Trump supporters that the GOP welcomed Dr. Ford's testimony with open arms, and that's absolutely true, they didn't try to bury her. And we've discussed that it's a bad look that she is still refusing to show and testify under oath along with Judge Kavanaugh.  But is it not an equally bad look that Grassley has refused to subpoena Judge and Smyth?  Lyndsey Graham just came out and said he saw no need to subpoena Judge, which smacks of bad faith. 

The egg is not completely on Ford/her counsel's face, the GOP has some on their face too. Because again, this is all about politics for every side.

JDaveG likes this

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Try right wing sites?

He generally got praise from the left and center left for leading the charge on releasing documents. 

Yeah, unfortunate right wing sites and right wing people aren’t funny.

JDaveG and mdrake34 like this

4 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

It is their best case scenario, but we need to hear from her. 

I’ve given up expecting anyone to care about the truth, but it really is absurd. They’re hoping the other team fumbles on the goal line instead of playing the game honestly. 

3 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

That is also what is bugging me tremendously about this, it's claimed by our resident Trump supporters that the GOP welcomed Dr. Ford's testimony with open arms, and that's absolutely true, they didn't try to bury her. And we've discussed that it's a bad look that she is still refusing to show and testify under oath along with Judge Kavanaugh.  But is it not an equally bad look that Grassley has refused to subpoena Judge and Smyth?  Lyndsey Graham just came out and said he saw no need to subpoena Judge, which smacks of bad faith. 

The egg is not completely on Ford/her counsel's face, the GOP has some on their face too. Because again, this is all about politics for every side.

It looks like they are intentionally trying to limit it to a “he said, she said” and avoid anything that might corroborate her story or undermine his denial.

AF89, JDaveG, mdrake34 and 1 other like this

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

It looks like they are intentionally trying to limit it to a “he said, she said” and avoid anything that might corroborate her story or undermine his denial.

Which is nuts given that both have supported Kavanaugh. 

Leon Troutsky and mdrake34 like this

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Absolutely.  Unless something changes, Kavanaugh alone will testify Monday it never happened, and he'll be confirmed by week's end. 

2 minutes ago, HolyMoses said:

So the lackluster performance against a weak opponent last night is probably attributable to Saturday's game.

that and the unusual line up and formation.   I didn't like the idea of the 4-3-3 to start.  Would have rather seen Barco and or Nagbe out there at the start over McCann. Play aggressive...try to get up a couple goals and then rest one of those guys for McCann. 

AF89 and HolyMoses like this

Just now, JDaveG said:

Yep, that’s the odd thing about it. 

None of this situation makes any sense.  And by the way, Ford’s statement that she won’t testify unless the FBI investigates...that came just a day after Democrats called for the same thing.  It honestly sounds to me like she’s being guided by Democrats, or her lawyer is being guided by Democrats, in some kind of coordination.  

The whole thing is odd all the way around.

Carter and JDaveG like this

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

1 minute ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Yep, that’s the odd thing about it. 

None of this situation makes any sense.  And by the way, Ford’s statement that she won’t testify unless the FBI investigates...that came just a day after Democrats called for the same thing.  It honestly sounds to me like she’s being guided by Democrats, or her lawyer is being guided by Democrats, in some kind of coordination.  

The whole thing is odd all the way around.

I think they know Judge would be a **** show.  He's not a nobody that no one had ever heard of before his name emerged in this, he has a history of questionable journalism and has written about his earlier struggles with alcoholism.

JDaveG and HolyMoses like this

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Try right wing sites?

"Yes, we cleared the documents last night shortly after Senator Booker's staff asked us to," Burck said. "I was surprised to learn Senator Booker's histrionics this morning because we had already told him he could use the documents publicly."

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

"Yes, we cleared the documents last night shortly after Senator Booker's staff asked us to," Burck said. "I was surprised to learn Senator Booker's histrionics this morning because we had already told him he could use the documents publicly."

From my understanding that was only true for the first few documents. Booker has released dozens more, which were not cleared. 

25 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Absolutely.  Unless something changes, Kavanaugh alone will testify Monday it never happened, and he'll be confirmed by week's end. 

They should at LEAST subpoena "Bart O'Kavenaugh"

Judge never wrote about any sexual violence at those parties, nor did he mention Kavanaugh attending any. But Judge’s 1997 memoir, “Wasted,” references a “Bart O’Kavanaugh” character who passes out drunk and throws up in a car.

JDaveG likes this

16 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I think they know Judge would be a **** show.  He's not a nobody that no one had ever heard of before his name emerged in this, he has a history of questionable journalism and has written about his earlier struggles with alcoholism.

Let the **** show proceed. Either Smyth’s corroboration is good enough or it isn’t. 

But we need to know either way. 

mdrake34 likes this

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The GOP has bent over backwards to let Ford get her story out, even their willingness to go out to California to meet her in a private setting.

You can tell the Dems are stalling when Rino's like Collin's and Snow are saying she needs to get her side of the story out and if she isn't willing too they are pushing to move the vote forward.

:shrug:

HolyMoses and Ezekiel 25:17 like this