Falcons Loose RB Coach to Matt LaFleur and the Titans

lostnmexico

Report: Falcons Lose RBs Coach Keith Carter to Titans

The Falcons will be looking for their fourth running backs coach in five seasons.

By Cory Woodroof@CoryWoodroof47 Feb 6, 2018, 1:40pm EST

Keith_Carter.0.jpg Keith Carter at work. Photo from AtlantaFalcons.com

The Atlanta Falcons will be looking for a new running backs coach after the departure of Keith Carter.

Carter will be joining former Falcons QBs coach Matt LaFleur with the Tennessee Titans as their new offensive line coach. LaFleur was named Tennessee’s offensive coordinator last month. The Titans website reported the hire.

Carter came to Atlanta with Kyle Shanahan in 2015 and served as the team’s assistant offensive line coach under Chris Morgan before his promotion. He was the offensive line coach/running game coordinator at San José State University before that, where he coached incumbent right guard starter Wes Schweitzer.

The move will put Atlanta on the market for a new running backs coach, their fourth in five seasons. Gerald Brown held the position under Mike Smith before renowned position coach Bobby Turner joined Shanahan in 2015. He left to be with the former offensive coordinator in San Francisco, with the team promoting Carter to the role last February.

The Falcons will now be searching for Carter’s replacement.

Of internal candidates, only offensive assistant Dave Brock has experience coaching running backs (Hofstra, 1995-96). Asst. OL coach Kyle Flood was Rutgers’ running game coordinator in 2007.

We’ll keep you posted when we hear word of a hire, but for now, the Falcons will be looking to find the next guy to coach Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman — an alluring position as any.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Lol really it's not as though that hasn't happend before on teams and Im sure it will happen again.

What a narrative OP because positions coaches leave Its on Sark wow.

I mean heck why not blame DQ.alot of position coaches walked when KS left aswell was that on DQ?

LOL....we aren't loosing any defensive coaches are we?  Like Roddy White said once, and I am paraphrasing...that play call was so stupid I would have jumped offsides!  These guys are jumping to new jobs before Captain Ahab kills their careers.

Just now, lostnmexico said:

LOL....we aren't loosing any defensive coaches are we?  Like Roddy White said once, and I am paraphrasing...that play call was so stupid I would have jumped offsides!  These guys are jumping to new jobs before Captain Ahab kills their careers.

Defensive coaches has nothing to do with it last time I looked the title on DQs door is head coach so in essence if your carrying the narrative you are it's not on Sark it's on the HC as to why they may want to leave.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Defensive coaches has nothing to do with it last time I looked the title on DQs door is head coach so in essence if your carrying the narrative you are it's not on Sark it's on the HC as to why they may want to leave.

I do not absolve Quinn and as you can see in my other posts he bears full responsibility for the disaster that was created by hiring Sarkisian.  It was a bad hire and his coworkers are abandoning ship!  Can't say that I blame them but you are right....this is ultimately on Quinn.

3 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

I do not absolve Quinn and as you can see in my other posts he bears full responsibility for the disaster that was created by hiring Sarkisian.  It was a bad hire and his coworkers are abandoning ship!  Can't say that I blame them but you are right....this is ultimately on Quinn.

See what disaster are you talking about?

How can you say that when we were 2 games from the SB he'll people talked about SB hangover and what not I didn't even see that with us.

We just need to clean our game up coaches and players and we'll be right back in the mix of it.

The whole disaster bit is just a scare mongering line that's all it is.To me this team is right on the cusp.

10 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

Roddy white hated Shanahan too. He complained ab his play call too. Fans blamed Whites retirement on Shanahan

17 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

First Hamden, now Kieth Carter.  These guys can't wait to jump ship from the SS Sarkisian! 

Hamden is package deal with Sark. He most likely was told to look somewhere else before the season ended. Bush Hamden has no business to be QB coach for Matt Ryan in the first place.

12 minutes ago, lostnmexico said:

Roddy bashed Shanny endlessly during and after his first season here so that might not have been the best example.

2 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Doug pedersons offense is an adaptation of college offense btw. And if his trick plays didn't work ppl would be calling him an idiot lol

It's really not. It's a WCO with spread concepts, pretty much what Andy Reid runs in KC but Wentz and Foles are much more aggressive and better deep passers than Alex Smith was.

1 minute ago, JerseyNo12 said:

It's really not. It's a WCO with spread concepts, pretty much what Andy Reid runs in KC but Wentz and Foles are much more aggressive and better deep passers than Alex Smith was.

He has adopted a lot of offensive concepts that have dominated college for years, especially the RPOs. It is a relatively simple offense. Effective yet simple. The irony and the he reason I'm pointing this out is because ppl rip Sark and say he's a college coach but the eagles just won the super bowl running a college style offense 

The optics of all the turnover in the coaching staff presents an active breeding ground for many theories on why? 

I am one to say, absolutely turnover impacts the performance of those that are directly impacted, and like all newly hired coaches, a learning curve will be assumed and more likely than not it won’t be positive. Though, it is possible it be be positive.

The concern is with the lack of continuity and consistency within the coaching ranks of the team.. after all the team leadership started preaching consistency...well that holds true not only for the players, but the coaching ranks as well!

So, coach DQ needs to value coaching consistency and retention of quality coaches as well as players. If the coaches were bad and needed to, then okay, and they must have been bad when hired...unless they leave for a promotion. If it’s money AB has that, so what’s up in Flowery Branch with the coaching staff and the incessant turnover??!!

1 minute ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

He has adopted a lot of offensive concepts that have dominated college for years, especially the RPOs. It is a relatively simple offense. Effective yet simple. The irony and the he reason I'm pointing this out is because ppl rip Sark and say he's a college coach but the eagles just won the super bowl running a college style offense 

What's funny about Foles this year is all Pederson really did was look at what Chip Kelly did with Nick when he had his best season and replicate it with the RPOs.  That play where Foles caught the TD was also taken from the Bears back a few years when they played the Vikings lol.

Don't need to reinvent the wheel.  When it works it works.