halifaxfalcon

Jake Matthews... New contract or play on 5th year option?

119 posts in this topic

We obviously have Jake going into this season on a $12 million cap hit. What are your guys thoughts on his contract going into this off season? 

Is he worth extending? And at what price? Or do we ride out this season and see where we sit?

Keen to know what you guys think

Must admit he is worth an extension far more so than Sam Baker was when we resigned him. Hopefully at a team healthy price. I'd be concerned if he were rewarded with an elite LT extension though

Same arguments are made about Matt Ryan and his extension. Should we be worried with giving up too much money blah blah blah. TD has done an excellent job continually with his contracts minus a few, but we should definitely have faith that TD will do what he always does to help out our team. 

papachaz likes this

It depends on the price.  He should not be paid like a top 5 LT.  There is a salary cap, so you have to make sure the guys with top salaries are actually the best at what they do.

Peyton likes this

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Just extend him, even average LT's are hard to find

This is where I'm at.  It's been hard for me to give up the fact that he isn't some elite LT, especially given the pedigree, but he isn't.  However as you said, and I think he is slightly above average, reliable LTs are hard to find so I would extend him as well.

Yo_Lover likes this

Just now, DogIsYourName said:

Matthews committed one of the worst holding penalties of all time.  Cost us a SB.  So you cannot break the bank for a guy like that.

One play does not determine the value of a player.  Seriously?  What a dumb post.  Go away.

We will def Extend him... Jake Matthews is a good LT....

Even tho i think Schrader play fell some this year. We leave our Tackles on a island 1 on 1 alot... Not alot of chipping or slanting  the line ..

Again Matthews is not Tyron Smith but i think he is a top 10-12 LT... I also think Schrader is a top 10-12 RT

8 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Matthews committed one of the worst holding penalties of all time.  Cost us a SB.  So you cannot break the bank for a guy like that.

Top money for the position is $13 mil a year with 10th highest paid at $11 mil. Realistically he is going to pursue a top 10 deal.

14 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

:huh:

papachaz likes this

13 minutes ago, athell said:

This is where I'm at.  It's been hard for me to give up the fact that he isn't some elite LT, especially given the pedigree, but he isn't.  However as you said, and I think he is slightly above average, reliable LTs are hard to find so I would extend him as well.

Im not sitting through another sam baker situation you pay the man and be thankful.i don't him anywhere near the chance to hit free agency then your money problem just gets infinitely worse.

athell likes this

15 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Cost us the SB?  That but not that the defense couldn't make one stop against the Pats at all in the 4th quarter. Okay? 

athell likes this

Just now, atljbo said:

Its some Terrible Lineman getting big contracts because the league has a O-Line problem right now.... Not alot of guys coming out of college ready to step in day 1

Yeah so a bunch of below average dudes are gonna get paid regardless and the elite ones are going to get huge contracts.which is exactly why I'm not holding my breath on Norwell he's about to get super paid.

Just now, nomak said:

Cost us the SB?  That but not that the defense couldn't make one stop against the Pats at all in the 4th quarter. Okay? 

Also Ryan fumbled that one time so let's not extend him.

Freeman missed a block that one time so let's not extend him.

Julio dropped a TD so let's not extend him.

Debo got washed out by that one block so let's not extend him.

I swear some of the people here lack the ability to actually think or use common sense.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, athell said:

I swear some of the people here lack the ability to actually think or use common sense.

For real...

athell and Ergo Proxy like this

11 minutes ago, athell said:

Common sense ain't common hasn' been for a long time 

Ergo Proxy and athell like this

I'm not to keen adding another position of need to the Falcons especially one that protects post 30 franchise QB.