Unkn0wn

Braves Spring Training

532 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't see the Braves signing an infielder. Unless Swanson just bombs I think the only position the Braves will take a stab at is OF or C. Braves really like Austin Riley and for good reason.

Riley could play RF.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Riley could play RF.

True. But there's more OF options in the free agent market for 2019 than 3B or SS.

44 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

True. But there's more OF options in the free agent market for 2019 than 3B or SS.

The OF market doesn't thrill me to be honest. The infield market includes Machado, Dozier, Donaldson, Murphy, Marwin Gonzalez, and Moustakas.

The only outfielders I like are Harper, Puig. and Pollock, and I don't like Pollock or Puig more than the infielders.

And before anyone asks the Braves are not going after Harper. DOB said yesterday he's never heard a team official ever mention Harper. He's heard them talk about Machado and Donaldson but never Harper. No way we get into that ridiculous bidding.

I'd like to see us pursue Dozier and Blackmon. Dozier would require some shifting but I know for a fact he wants to be a Brave (he's distant family). Blackmon is a local kid and has been improving at the plate as he's gotten older. Adding those two to the middle of the lineup would provide a big boost.

I'm a little leary of Blackmon's home/road splits and age, but I thought the same about Galarraga back in the day and that turned out well.

I could see a scenario of signing Dozier, scooting Albies to SS, installing Riley at 3B, having Swanson and Camargo as super-utility guys.

I'm also wondering about how much production we could get from a Dustin Peterson/Preston Tucker platoon in RF.

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

I'm a little leary of Blackmon's home/road splits and age, but I thought the same about Galarraga back in the day and that turned out well.

I could see a scenario of signing Dozier, scooting Albies to SS, installing Riley at 3B, having Swanson and Camargo as super-utility guys.

I'm also wondering about how much production we could get from a Dustin Peterson/Preston Tucker platoon in RF.

In 2017 he had noticeable differences. In 2016 they were almost mirror images. He had an insane BAbip at home last season and an ok one on the road. 2016 they matched up much more evenly. 

K26dp likes this