Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ssj5gal

Hold off on Ryan’s extension

236 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

So by that logic, Foles is better than Marino, Kelly, Fouts, Tarkenton, and every QB before 1966?  I’m guessing by that logic, Foles is on the same level as Rogers, Favre, and every other QB that has one ring?

I'm just making the point that in harmony with the original post of this thread, Matt Ryan doesn't deserve a huge contract extension. You guys can get mad all you want. The fact remains that Matt Ryan has been surrounded with tremendous tools to get the job done, and he consistently falls short. I just think it's funny that everyone on these boards want to give Matt "elite" Qb status, but he can't even get done what a backup Qb was able to accomplish this year in the Super Bowl. 

Big_Dog likes this

6 minutes ago, Rod23 said:

I'm just making the point that in harmony with the original post of this thread, Matt Ryan doesn't deserve a huge contract extension. You guys can get mad all you want. The fact remains that Matt Ryan has been surrounded with tremendous tools to get the job done, and he consistently falls short. I just think it's funny that everyone on these boards want to give Matt "elite" Qb status, but he can't even get done what a backup Qb was able to accomplish this year in the Super Bowl. 

Was Dan Marino elite? Yes or no?

Last 10 seasons in the NFL there have been 118 QBs drafted. 

Only 6 of those guys have even made it to the SB. 

Let that sink in. 

You want more? In the past 17 seasons only 4 total QBs in the AFC have made it. Manning, Brady, Big Ben, and Flacco. 4 QBs. 

SB QBs don't grow on trees. I'm not even talking about SB winning QBs. Just having a QB that can get you to the game is insanely difficult to pull off. 

Drew4719 likes this

20 minutes ago, Rod23 said:

And my Knucklehead meter just went way up.....

7 hours ago, jidady said:

What a terrible argument. Please troll better. This sort of laziness isn't fun to watch. Good trolls at least entertain.

Amen.

Just a quick, brief look every few weeks or so at TATF tells me that the number of posters who actually understand this game is an ever-dwindling number.

For every Superbowl won by QBs falling in a non-top tier price range, there are 9+ won by top tier QBs or mid tier QBs paid like top tier..

Nick Foles has also had stretches in his career playing like a mid to top tier QB while in an Eagles uniform... think Eli Manning or Joe Flacco.

10 hours ago, Geneaut said:

That's probably what drove him to drink LOL. 

I've never heard anyone call Brett Favre 'Brent'.....in the south or otherwise...........and this is the area that couldn't kick simple names like Brooking and Weatherspoon right on a regular basis.

I do remember hearing his last name pronounced 'Favor' though.....

Geneaut likes this

15 minutes ago, papachaz said:

I've never heard anyone call Brett Favre 'Brent'.....in the south or otherwise...........and this is the area that couldn't kick simple names like Brooking and Weatherspoon right on a regular basis.

I do remember hearing his last name pronounced 'Favor' though.....

Another board I was on called him that 24/7 because we were pissed he went ham AFTER he left us. 'Brent Faver' 

12 hours ago, Rod23 said:

Ah, so the agenda comes out and the fact is you simply don’t like Ryan and would like someone else at QB.  Just say that. Don’t hide behind your false narrative,  

By the way, your last sentence still doesn’t answer the question.  Marino, Kelly. Fouts, Tarkenton, et al couldn’t get done what a backup QB was able to accomplish.  So, is Foles better than all of them?  Rogers, Brees, and Favre and numerous other QBs have one ring.  They were only able to achieve exactly what a backup QB was able to do and not get a second so Foles is as good s everyone of those QBs.  Is that your assertion?  Or does it not fit your agenda so you refuse to address it?

11 hours ago, Rod23 said:

I'll bite. Yes, he was elite.

According to your logic, Marino can’t be elite. He didn’t even achieve what the backup QB, Nick Foles, did achieve. By the way, Ryan has already passed Marino in career QBR, passing yards per game, adjusted yards per pass attempt, net yards per passing attempt, passes completed per game, and pass completion percentage.  He will be likely be passing Marino in just about every other statistical category for a career in the next five years if he stays healthy.  

On a side note, Ryan has done all of that in 10 years and surpassed stats that it took Marino 17 seasons to achieve.  Ryan was also the quickest QB in NFL history to pass 40,000 yards so expect that stat to fall soon as well.

3 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

According to your logic, Marino can’t be elite. He didn’t even achieve what the backup QB, Nick Foles, did achieve.

What you said to Rod doesn't follow. You have no idea what Rod's criteria for an elite QB is in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

What you said to Rod doesn't follow. You have no idea what Rod's criteria for an elite QB is in the first place.

Then I would love to hear it.  If it is winning a ring, then that logic dictates that Foles is on the same level as Favre, Rogers, and Brees.  

See, when you have an agenda because you don’t like Ryan, the facts simply refute every part of that.  If you want to go by stats, Ryan is top 15-20 in history and will move into the top 15 in just about every stat next season if he stays healthy.  If you want to compare rings only, then you are advising Foles is as good as Brees, Rogers, and Favre.  

So, let’s hear what the definition of elite is. “Ryan isn’t elite because I don’t like him” isn’t a very good argument. Is being inducted into the HOF an elite status indicator?  If so, let’s chat about it because Ryan has far better stats and accomplishments than quite a few current HOFers.

Geneaut likes this

On 2/4/2018 at 10:41 PM, Intellectually Honest said:

If the Falcons have been consistently good at drafting, they could afford to not overpay their starters. So it starts with drafting.

No team is consistently good at drafting. 

And if there’s one position you better be willing to overpay for, it’s at QB, especially an elite one still in his prime. 

14 hours ago, Rod23 said:

I’m not sure being in ‘harmony’ with the OP was the smart way to go.

How many years did Brett start for us again?  I can't seem to find that anywhere.  Does Brett have the career here that he had in GB?

So yeah, 52 years of spotty QB play and you want to let Matt test the waters I guess.

Your world...................

14 hours ago, Rod23 said:

Ok we let Matt hit the open market who you got to replace him?

The idea of deserving a contract you've made me curious out of all the QBs in the league who deserves 25 plus mill per season ?

Deserving has nothing to do with it really it's the market that decides the number and if there are not many options what are you to do sit on your hands and pretend you can roll in a franchise QB at the snap of your fingers.

No I got it trade up give away 2 drafts and get the next supposed big thing and put the team back a decade.

Or just organise your cap and pay MR2.

Geneaut likes this

38 minutes ago, Vandy said:

No team is consistently good at drafting. 

And if there’s one position you better be willing to overpay for, it’s at QB, especially an elite one still in his prime. 

Ryan is elite? I mean he had an elite year in 2016, but cmon now. For Ryan to be elite, he needs to play at that level rather consistently.

2 hours ago, coastiemike said:

Then I would love to hear it.  If it is winning a ring, then that logic dictates that Foles is on the same level as Favre, Rogers, and Brees.  

See, when you have an agenda because you don’t like Ryan, the facts simply refute every part of that.  If you want to go by stats, Ryan is top 15-20 in history and will move into the top 15 in just about every stat next season if he stays healthy.  If you want to compare rings only, then you are advising Foles is as good as Brees, Rogers, and Favre.  

So, let’s hear what the definition of elite is. “Ryan isn’t elite because I don’t like him” isn’t a very good argument. Is being inducted into the HOF an elite status indicator?  If so, let’s chat about it because Ryan has far better stats and accomplishments than quite a few current HOFers.

Why don't you ask him what his criteria for an elite QB is?

3 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Why don't you ask him what his criteria for an elite QB is?

What's the point there's QBs in this league right now that aren't anywhere near good but are overpaid yet now MR2 is alot closer to be deserving of this money hes going to get it's an issue yeah ok.

HASHBROWN3 and Drew4719 like this