Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

Espn’s Take on how the Falcons lose on the Alex Smith/Kirk cousins trade and contract deal

120 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think they've got an awfully tough task ahead of them. The defense is largely built to last (lot of young talent with a couple years left on rookie deals) but there are some giant contracts for older dudes on the D. And the offense is basically looking at a total rebuild. They've gotta do something at QB (unless they royally screwed the pooch and Bortles can't pass his physical following wrist surgery....which would lock them in at $19m gtd for the year), they need to make a decision on all three of the top WRs, and they're sorta capstrapped. 

Theres some fat to trim (Ivory, Lewis, etc) but they've got work to do. 

Think so?  They have 10 out of 11 starters on D signed through the next 2 years.  They have a OLine that did quite well this year, they have some nice talent on the outside and a young stud in Fournette.  They should have around $26m to spend as well.

I think they are right there and if they can land a QB > Bortles immediately puts them in contention for next year.  Heck, they were in contention this year even with Bortles!

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

I disagree that Cousins is going to get a bigger deal than Stafford.  Can't see that at all.

if it's the browns with 111 million under the cap? I could absolutely see his deal being higher thab Stafford's

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Denver's expected to push for Cousins hard. Thats probably the best landing spot for him in terms of surrounding talent. 

They all depends on how you view it.  They have decent players making up that team especially with the Def, but there are articles stating that Sanders and Thomas will be gone due to contract numbers and if they are looking to rebuild this offense then it may be a few years before they get back to being competitive in that division and with SD, KC, and OAK already average or above when it comes to production it may take a while to be relevant.  Not that he wouldn't WANT to go there, but he could go to other places for the money and I'd feel he'd do better in CLE NY or AZ because they at least are not looking to rid themselves of casualties and have the capital or players already on the team to start being productive almost immediately.  I like Cleveland because he could go there with a decent offense with weapons and they could still pay him and draft high caliber players to help him start winning, and with someone like him he could attract playmakers to join him possibly making them a good team with Flacco and Ben on the outs here soon and Dalton not the same QB he was in his first few years.

ICD likes this

Stanford got 5yrs, $135mm (avg. $27mm per) and $92mm guaranteed with $50mm signing bonus.  He was 29 when he signed it.

Matt is a little older so there is more risk involved but he is also more accomplished.  He is 32yrs old this year with one year left on his deal.  I would rather put 4yrs on back of his current deal which would take him to age 37 but probably will do 5yr taking him to age 38 - this probably makes him a lifetime Falcon.

5yrs, $140mm($28mm/yr) with $95mm guaranteed and $58mm signing bonus.  This is my prediction on what the deal will be - not necessarily what I believe it should be.

PokerSteve, athell and Godzilla1985 like this

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Stanford got 5yrs, $135mm (avg. $27mm per) and $92mm guaranteed with $50mm signing bonus.  He was 29 when he signed it.

Matt is a little older so there is more risk involved but he is also more accomplished.  He is 32yrs old this year with one year left on his deal.  I would rather put 4yrs on back of his current deal which would take him to age 37 but probably will do 5yr taking him to age 38 - this probably makes him a lifetime Falcon.

5yrs, $140mm($28mm/yr) with $95mm guaranteed and $58mm signing bonus.  This is my prediction on what the deal will be - not necessarily what I believe it should be.

You probably are in the ballpark, though I'm sure Kirk's deal will play a part as well.

Also, not that you can compare one player to the next, but with the Brady's and Brees' of the world playing into their late 30s and being productive doing so, I see no reason why Matt can't do the same and absolutely should be a lifetime Falcon.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, trubirdfan4life said:

if it's the browns with 111 million under the cap? I could absolutely see his deal being higher thab Stafford's

I don't think Kirk Cousins will go to Cleveland even if they offer him the highest contract by 5 million dollars a year. I'm not a huge Kirk Cousins fan, but one thing about the guy, I really think the guy wants to win.

3 hours ago, Peyton said:

I disagree that Cousins is going to get a bigger deal than Stafford.  Can't see that at all.

Cousins for some reason is an extremely overrated QB by pundits.

FentayeJones likes this

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I don't think Kirk Cousins will go to Cleveland even if they offer him the highest contract by 5 million dollars a year. I'm not a huge Kirk Cousins fan, but one thing about the guy, I really think the guy wants to win.

I doubt Cleveland even throws money at a QB. They kept Jackson around to prove stability. He's gonna try and develop Kizer.

Either cap needs to be raised in order for teams to be able to afford these insanely expensive QB contracts (but that may mean that their contracts will get even larger given the bigger amount of cap room) or there needs to be a league-wide limit on how much a QB can ask for because this **** is getting out of hand.

14 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I doubt Cleveland even throws money at a QB. They kept Jackson around to prove stability. He's gonna try and develop Kizer.

No better way to stabilize a franchise than to actually go out and get a franchise qb

6 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Either cap needs to be raised in order for teams to be able to afford these insanely expensive QB contracts (but that may mean that their contracts will get even larger given the bigger amount of cap room) or there needs to be a league-wide limit on how much a QB can ask for because this **** is getting out of hand.

It's the most important in football.  Dilfer's and Johnson's aside, if you don't have a franchise QB you don't have a chance.  Also, the cap raises every year.

Though I do wish more teams would go the Brady route, take on less of a annual salary so that money can go elsewhere but I cannot blame the players for franchises spending the money on them.  Get your green while you can!

1 hour ago, athell said:

Think so?  They have 10 out of 11 starters on D signed through the next 2 years.  They have a OLine that did quite well this year, they have some nice talent on the outside and a young stud in Fournette.  They should have around $26m to spend as well.

I think they are right there and if they can land a QB > Bortles immediately puts them in contention for next year.  Heck, they were in contention this year even with Bortles!

Bortles is only 25 years old and they were one play away from making a Super Bowl.  I can't imagine them dumping him.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Bortles is only 25 years old and they were one play away from making a Super Bowl.  I can't imagine them dumping him.

He is also Blake Bortles.  They may keep him on this year, but they absolutely can upgrade the position.  Bortles is not good.

An easy counter argument to that is with a QB like Smith or Cousins, Jacksonville easily beats New England and is playing this weekend.  While he wasn't terrible @ NE, he missed some throws that an NFL QB needs to make.  Basically what I'm getting at is Bortles is the anti Cousins/Smith in that he is just not very good.

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Denver's expected to push for Cousins hard. Thats probably the best landing spot for him in terms of surrounding talent. 

I can see that happening.

21 minutes ago, athell said:

He is also Blake Bortles.  They may keep him on this year, but they absolutely can upgrade the position.  Bortles is not good.

I am having a little trouble reconciling your "Kirk Cousins is just coming into the prime of his career at 30" with the opinion that Blake Bortles potential is fulfilled at 25.

When Kirk Cousins was the age that Blake Bortles is right now, he had a 1-3 career record in the NFL with 8 TDs and 10 INTs in 4 starts.  Nobody was that high on him.

Bortles is 25 and has struggled at time, but he also has a 4400 yard,  35 TD season on his resume already.  The kid is still growing.  He made some great back shoulder throws in that Pats game.

It's not that I don't think ryan deserves a large contract.  it's just that to my mind he can't demand a max contract close to 30 million and pretend that he wants to go to another super bowl.  Seattle did well for years because their young QB wasn’t paid much and they had lots of money to spend on a great defense. 

He can pretend to want to win championships like Brady, but Brady was willing to take a large pay cut.  We’ll never have enough money to build a great offensive line which will protect him and still keep our elite running backs and receivers.  I don’t think for a second Ryan would be willing to do so and he will be “justified” in his own mind as well as the opinion of many other people on this forum.  But he won’t see another super bowl and the memory of the last one will leave a deep emotional scar on him and this city for years to come. Just stating the truth.

Just now, Peyton said:

I am having a little trouble reconciling your "Kirk Cousins is just coming into the prime of his career at 30" with the opinion that Blake Bortles potential is fulfilled at 25.

When Kirk Cousins was the age that Blake Bortles is right now, he had a 1-3 career record in the NFL with 8 TDs and 10 INTs in 4 starts.  Nobody was that high on him.

Bortles is 25 and has struggled at time, but he also has a 35 TD season on his resume already.  The kid is still growing.  He made some great back shoulder throws in that Pats game.

You just want to argue today, don't you?

You are picking and choosing certain things to come at me with trying to prove whatever narrative you are trying to push.

So you want to reconcile the age and entering his prime thing?  lol ok.  Kirk IS entering his prime and while Bortles is 25, I am more concerned with the product on the field of which Kirk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blake and it's not even a debate.  You also debunked your own argument, Kirk had 4 starts in your rebuttal.  Blake has started 61.  We know who Blake is at this point, and Blake is just not very good.  Why you are trying to argue that is another in a long line of Peyton posts lately that make no sense.

Like are you really going to defend and white knight for a quarterback who ran for more yards than he threw for in a playoff game?  Just lmao

38 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

The cap will have risen about 40% since 2013 this year.  Top QB contracts are up about 40% since the first $20 million QB contracts in 2013.

Top QB contracts have been about the same percentage of cap space for years.  I do think Cousins may skew that a bit higher due to a bidding war, but even then, I don't really think it will be out of hand compared to where they have been.

I think it's more just sticker shock, but the fact is that 32 teams have ~$50 million more per year to spend than they did 5 years ago.  Top tier players are going to make a considerable amount more.

14 minutes ago, athell said:

You just want to argue today, don't you?

You are picking and choosing certain things to come at me with trying to prove whatever narrative you are trying to push.

So you want to reconcile the age and entering his prime thing?  lol ok.  Kirk IS entering his prime and while Bortles is 25, I am more concerned with the product on the field of which Kirk >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blake and it's not even a debate.  You also debunked your own argument, Kirk had 4 starts in your rebuttal.  Blake has started 61.  We know who Blake is at this point, and Blake is just not very good.  Why you are trying to argue that is another in a long line of Peyton posts lately that make no sense.

It's fine if you don't think I made sense.  Blake Bortles played a good game at New England.  Threw for almost 300 yards with a TD and no INTs.  The idea that they would dump him this off season makes as much sense to me as my arguments do to you.

It's all good.  You can talk down to me if you like.  I am grown man, I can handle it.

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It's fine if you don't think I made sense.  Blake Bortles played a good game at New England.  Threw for almost 300 yards with a TD and no INTs.  The idea that they would dump him this off season makes as much sense to me as my arguments do to you.

It's all good.  You can talk down to me if you like.  I am grown man, I can handle it.

It's already been reported by Shefter and others that if they can land a Cousins in FA they would move on from Bortles in a heartbeat, so maybe the confusion just lies with you?  They aren't nearly as tied to him as apparently you think they are.

I don't need to talk down at you, I'm just saying your opinions and takes on things are just kinda off in general.

14 minutes ago, athell said:

It's already been reported by Shefter and others that if they can land a Cousins in FA they would move on from Bortles in a heartbeat, so maybe the confusion just lies with you?  They aren't nearly as tied to him as apparently you think they are.

I don't need to talk down at you, I'm just saying your opinions and takes on things are just kinda off in general.

Really, cause I've read about 5 articles in the last 15 minutes that says the Jags have already decided to stick with Bortles. I guess it depends on who you believe.

We'll see what happens.

3 hours ago, osiruz said:

Better get this deal done fast.

That’s going to be hard.... the agents will all play hardball trying to be the last to sign. Everybody’s going to want to know what everybody else is getting before they sign. If it were going to get done simply, it should have already been done. 

Osiruz likes this

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Idk if Jacksonville will move on Cousins OR get him. He seems pretty intent on getting as much bread as possible. That being said, if Jacksonville would be in the Super Bowl if they had competent QB play, and I’m sure they know it. They had NE beaten if they hadn’t started playing so tight.  

All that to say, Cousins will have his choice of suitors but I think it’s safe to assume he wants as much $ as possible... and that’s why he’s out in Washington.