Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

Espn’s Take on how the Falcons lose on the Alex Smith/Kirk cousins trade and contract deal

120 posts in this topic

The next two veteran quarterbacks in line for lucrative extensions are Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan. Rodgers has two years left on his deal, while Ryan is entering the final season of his contract. Both former MVPs are overdue to receive deals that reset their compensation with the guys at the top of the financial charts, a group that currently includes Stafford, Derek Carr and Andrew Luck.

Unfortunately for Atlanta and Green Bay, the negotiating parameters are about to change. Before, they were operating within a paradigm in which the highest-paid quarterback was Stafford. Now, it's going to be Cousins, and his deal is going to be a degree of magnitude larger than that of Stafford. Instead of negotiating from a position where the peak three-year value for a quarterback deal is $87 million, Ryan and Rodgers (and their agents) will be looking at something closer to $100 million over that same time frame. That's going to be extra money in their pockets. Don't be surprised to see the Falcons and Packers make renewed pushes to sign their quarterbacks before the Cousins deal lands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I disagree that Cousins is going to get a bigger deal than Stafford.  Can't see that at all.

Nor should his deal be in the same realm of Ryan and Rodgers. Some team will over pay for him for sure but it seems crazy to think he will get more than the other three.

Ezekiel 25:17 and IamFRESCO1 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Ryan goes, my only real concern is the length of the contract.  All of a sudden, it seems that everybody thinks that all the QBs in the top 10/15 can play "as long as and at a high level like Brady has done.  His longevity is part of why he is the "greatest QB" in NFL history.  I would be very cautious about locking up Ryan past 36 right now.  I can honestly see a 3 year extension and then evaluate again.  I know it is very unlikely to happen, but this new trend could see a lot of teams get themselves in trouble.  Eli Manning was thought of the same way two years ago then all of a sudden, his 35 year old year sees a big dip.  Sure he didn't have his guy, but his rating wasn't good.  Elie was a top 10 QB before ODB.

Use to be guys got 1 big deal.  Then some QBs started to get 2.  Now its up to three.  I understand the cap is up.  I don't mind you getting more per year than a lesser guy, but I would be cautious with the length.

CaliFalcons, Kung-Pow, Borat and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I disagree that Cousins is going to get a bigger deal than Stafford.  Can't see that at all.

Someone will pay him more that's just what comes with the position he plays and the demand..just a matter of who is gonna be the ones to come off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, isproab said:

As far as Ryan goes, my only real concern is the length of the contract.  All of a sudden, it seems that everybody thinks that all the QBs in the top 10/15 can play "as long as and at a high level like Brady has done.  His longevity is part of why he is the "greatest QB" in NFL history.  I would be very cautious about locking up Ryan past 36 right now.  I can honestly see a 3 year extension and then evaluate again.  I know it is very unlikely to happen, but this new trend could see a lot of teams get themselves in trouble.  Eli Manning was thought of the same way two years ago then all of a sudden, his 35 year old year sees a big dip.  Sure he didn't have his guy, but his rating wasn't good.  Elie was a top 10 QB before ODB.

Use to be guys got 1 big deal.  Then some QBs started to get 2.  Now its up to three.  I understand the cap is up.  I don't mind you getting more per year than a lesser guy, but I would be cautious with the length.

 

It depends.

 

Most QBs that have staying power of years in the NFL don't have an extensive injury history and continue to still have the desire to play the game.

 

Other than the 2008 low hit knee injury that put Brady out for the season, he has been very healthy for the duration of his career. Ryan has been very healthy in his career as well and wants a SB ring so who knows. We'll see in a few years.

 

Kurt Warner could've played more seasons but just lost the desire to continue with the offseason camps and stuff year in and year out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I disagree that Cousins is going to get a bigger deal than Stafford.  Can't see that at all.

This is how FA works man.  Every year someone else will be the proud owner of the richest contract in NFL history.  This year it will be Cousins.  Disagree all you want, someone is about to back the Brinks truck up to Kirk's doorstep...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

It depends.

 

Most QBs that have staying power of years in the NFL don't have an extensive injury history and continue to still have the desire to play the game.

 

Other than the 2008 low hit knee injury that put Brady out for the season, he has been very healthy for the duration of his career. Ryan has been very healthy in his career as well and wants a SB ring so who knows. We'll see in a few years.

 

Kurt Warner could've played more seasons but just lost the desire to continue with the offseason camps and stuff year in and year out.

Kurt Warner was victim of bounty gate, he was brutally hit in the divisonal round and had a major concussion. He was smart to retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I disagree that Cousins is going to get a bigger deal than Stafford.  Can't see that at all.

The Jets are sitting on a whole lot of cap money.  They are also desperate for a legitimate starting QB.  

federicofalcon2 and poutlipper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Kurt Warner was victim of bounty gate, he was brutally hit in the divisonal round and had a major concussion. He was smart to retire.

 

Forgot about the concussion.

 

Remember him saying that he didn't want to deal with the riggers of training camp anymore also.

falcons007 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

Forgot about the concussion.

 

Remember him saying that he didn't want to deal with the riggers of training camp anymore also.

Yep I remember that too. Kurt did say he felt the after effect of concussion for months. 

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, athell said:

This is how FA works man.  Every year someone else will be the proud owner of the richest contract in NFL history.  This year it will be Cousins.  Disagree all you want, someone is about to back the Brinks truck up to Kirk's doorstep...

I wonder if Tom Coughlin is considering to make a move. Jacksonville can do better with Cousins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they do sign him to a 4+ year contract, the guarantees are only going to be in the first 3 years with the possiblilty to get out of the contract after that.  They could technically re-sign him to a 6 year contract and only have the first 3 or 4 guaranteed with the remaining 2-3 years having huge amounts but not be obligated to pay unless he's on the roster or makes certain incentives.  With the cap going up every year, I think he may get his 30+ a year contract but TD has always been good with a working cap and I trust whatever he gives players he won't put us in a Saints style cap where we not only can't keep our own FAs but we have to cut others just to sign new ones.

Kung-Pow likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I wonder if Tom Coughlin is considering to make a move. Jacksonville can do better with Cousins. 

They may do better, but i read they are already committing to BB next season (which they could change their minds) but even with all their money I don't think that they'd sign Cousins seeing as they have great players they are going to have to give big contracts to in the next few years and having 30+ million a year allocated to one player when most of your team is on rookie deals will lead to possibly losing most of them when you could have just kept your original qb and given him a team friendly contract and still signed playmakers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I wonder if Tom Coughlin is considering to make a move. Jacksonville can do better with Cousins. 

Jax with an actual QB would be scary.  Bortles is holding that team back and you can argue he is the only one holding that team back.

Kung-Pow likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I wonder if Tom Coughlin is considering to make a move. Jacksonville can do better with Cousins. 

I really hope so. Cousins is matt ryan lite. I like the guy, he'll do great with that team. 

falcons007 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, isproab said:

As far as Ryan goes, my only real concern is the length of the contract.  All of a sudden, it seems that everybody thinks that all the QBs in the top 10/15 can play "as long as and at a high level like Brady has done.  His longevity is part of why he is the "greatest QB" in NFL history.  I would be very cautious about locking up Ryan past 36 right now.  I can honestly see a 3 year extension and then evaluate again.  I know it is very unlikely to happen, but this new trend could see a lot of teams get themselves in trouble.  Eli Manning was thought of the same way two years ago then all of a sudden, his 35 year old year sees a big dip.  Sure he didn't have his guy, but his rating wasn't good.  Elie was a top 10 QB before ODB.

Use to be guys got 1 big deal.  Then some QBs started to get 2.  Now its up to three.  I understand the cap is up.  I don't mind you getting more per year than a lesser guy, but I would be cautious with the length.

I agree with your central premise but I'm not really concerned about overshooting his viability. I think its most likely that the team takes a step or three back whenever Matt "loses it" or retires or whatever. As much as that might suck, I think it might already be priced in to some extent. 

However, I dont think Eli is really all that comparable here. He's been more or less the same QB for years and years. Its not like he was terrific and then hit a wall. I think his situation has just as much (or more) to do with his perceived decline as his aging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, athell said:

Jax with an actual QB would be scary.  Bortles is holding that team back and you can argue he is the only one holding that team back.

I think they've got an awfully tough task ahead of them. The defense is largely built to last (lot of young talent with a couple years left on rookie deals) but there are some giant contracts for older dudes on the D. And the offense is basically looking at a total rebuild. They've gotta do something at QB (unless they royally screwed the pooch and Bortles can't pass his physical following wrist surgery....which would lock them in at $19m gtd for the year), they need to make a decision on all three of the top WRs, and they're sorta capstrapped. 

Theres some fat to trim (Ivory, Lewis, etc) but they've got work to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

They may do better, but i read they are already committing to BB next season (which they could change their minds) but even with all their money I don't think that they'd sign Cousins seeing as they have great players they are going to have to give big contracts to in the next few years and having 30+ million a year allocated to one player when most of your team is on rookie deals will lead to possibly losing most of them when you could have just kept your original qb and given him a team friendly contract and still signed playmakers

They can off load some of their high paid FA at that time. I don’t see them going any further with BB. I doubt they might go for Cousins but I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, etherdome said:

The Jets are sitting on a whole lot of cap money.  They are also desperate for a legitimate starting QB.  

Denver's expected to push for Cousins hard. Thats probably the best landing spot for him in terms of surrounding talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, athell said:

Jax with an actual QB would be scary.  Bortles is holding that team back and you can argue he is the only one holding that team back.

100% agreed. 

9 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

I really hope so. Cousins is matt ryan lite. I like the guy, he'll do great with that team. 

Cousins reminds me more of Eli Manning, makes some great plays followed by some boneheaded mistakes. TC did manage Eli to win couple of SB with his defense in NY. 

athell likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Denver's expected to push for Cousins hard. Thats probably the best landing spot for him in terms of surrounding talent. 

But Denver isn’t the same D which won SB. Elway isn’t gun shy from going after QB in FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites