Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sidecar Falcon

Redskins trade for Alex Smith

159 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Why is no one considering the Browns? Most cap space, two top four picks, three seconds, two thirds.

Because Cousins could join a team that is already setup to make a serious run while getting paid.

3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Because Cousins could join a team that is already setup to make a serious run while getting paid.

Like who? Jags? They have 16 mil in cap

6 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Lol, they are set up to make a serious run. Need to get over the recency bias and realize that the Browns actually have a solid squad and really just need a good QB like Cousins to make it over the hump. They were competitive in every game, they just didn't win because of rookie QB mistakes and what not.

I think the funniest thing is this idea that people have that Alex Smith sucks lol.

In the last 7 seasons the dude is 69-31 as a starter.  He just led the league in passer rating and was 2nd in the NFL in yards per attempt, and he threw 26 TDs against 5 INTs.

He has 132 TDs against just 43 INTs over the last 7 seasons. 

That poor dude can't get no respect lol. 

He did just get $71 mil guaranteed though.

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Like who? Jags? They have 16 mil in cap

Moves can be made to fit him under the cap.

How much do the Broncos have? Elway is more than likely keeping a close eye on him.

10 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Lol, they are set up to make a serious run. Need to get over the recency bias and realize that the Browns actually have a solid squad and really just need a good QB like Cousins to make it over the hump. They were competitive in every game, they just didn't win because of rookie QB mistakes and what not.

Still doubt he goes to the Browns.

There are teams that are more ready when it comes to a potential SB run that just need a QB.

7 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Moves can be made to fit him under the cap.

How much do the Broncos have? Elway is more than likely keeping a close eye on him.

They have 26 mil but I don't take them serious as a contender. If he goes there good luck.

12 hours ago, coastiemike said:

Yep. But why would you post in TaTF? It doesn’t have anything to do with the Falcons or our division.

and, we play the Redskins in Washington next season, so that'll be the 2nd time in 3 seasons we face Alex Smith. 

11 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Still doubt he goes to the Browns.

There are teams that are more ready when it comes to a potential SB run that just need a QB.

Perhaps, but the Browns have a ton of young talent, a ton of high round draft picks, and a ton of cap space, and a HC who is a brilliant offensive mind in Hue Jackson. They are set up for the long run. Denver's window is shrinking--they have good but aging players. The Jags is open but like someone already mentioned they don't have enough cap room.

The Browns can easily go from (quite literally) worst to first with a QB like Cousins.

Ovie_Lover likes this

10 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Yeah I don't think Kirk went through all this garbage with the Redskins just to get to free agency and then go to Cleveland.  I think it is Denver or Arizona for sure.

Both teams are aging and only have a chance next year at best. Cardinals are a reach at that.

No.11 likes this

5 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Perhaps, but the Browns have a ton of young talent, a ton of high round draft picks, and a ton of cap space, and a HC who is a brilliant offensive mind in Hue Jackson. They are set up for the long run. Denver's window is shrinking--they have good but aging players. The Jags is open but like someone already mentioned they don't have enough cap room.

The Browns can easily go from (quite literally) worst to first with a QB like Cousins.

It's hard to imagine Cousins going to the Browns though. They still went 0-16 despite playing close in many games.

Yes the Broncos are aging, but getting Cousins will allow them to win now and also be the long-term QB solution as the team transitions to get younger around him.

Broncos still had the 3rd best defense last season.

Does this make the Redskins better? Alex Smith had a great year but he had a better offense in KC. I didn't think the QB spot was their problem.

19 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Hiring a new GM was a good start, but there is a reason this team is 1-31 over the last two years. 

57 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Why is no one considering the Browns? Most cap space, two top four picks, three seconds, two thirds.

The place is a mess that's why..it depends on what your motivations are if your looking to get paid then yeah the Browns would be a choice huge cap can pay what you wanted then some or if your trying to win they have been in rebuild for the last few years and haven't gotten better and probably won't the next few years **** no I wouldn' sign there if I'm trying to win high draft picks or not.

1 hour ago, FentayeJones said:

I get it.

They don't like him enough to pay him 30 mil a year. They see him everyday so they should know. They basically get the same (although more mobile) QB in in Alex Smith for about 7 mil a year cheaper. The picks are a wash as they will get it back next year.

They are most assuredly not the same QB...Kirk's ceiling is much higher than Alex's and Kirk is 4 years younger.  On top of the fact that they are giving Alex huge money anyway.  And they gave up a young stud corner on top of it.  KC pretty clearly won this trade and saved $17m in cap space on top of it all while only giving up a 3rd and getting back a huge need with a young, up and coming player on the cheap.

Plus the Skins don't exactly have the best track record with former old Andy Reid QB's...

Like, I can understand the trading of Kirk.  They had to.  But for Alex Smith?  And then extending him?  AND sending a corner on top of it?  Makes no sense.

Just now, RoddyWhite84 said:

The place is a mess that's why..it depends on what your motivations are if your looking to get paid then yeah the Browns would be a choice huge cap can pay what you wanted then some or if your trying to win they have been in rebuild for the last few years and haven't gotten better and probably won't the next few years **** no I wouldn' sign there if I'm trying to win high draft picks or not.

Or go to a place where you can be considered the savior of a franchise. If Cousins went to CLE and got them some playoff appearances and started moving them in the right direction, he'd be royalty in that city for the rest of his life.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

They are most assuredly not the same QB...Kirk's ceiling is much higher than Alex's and Kirk is 4 years younger.  On top of the fact that they are giving Alex huge money anyway.  And they gave up a young stud corner on top of it.  KC pretty clearly won this trade and saved $17m in cap space on top of it all while only giving up a 3rd and getting back a huge need with a young, up and coming player on the cheap.

Plus the Skins don't exactly have the best track record with former old Andy Reid QB's...

I think both have reached their ceiling and they are just different guys.  Smith is steady and Kirk is a gunslinger.  It is what is is.

KC wins the trade on paper but they only win in reality if Mahomes is a player.

48 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think the funniest thing is this idea that people have that Alex Smith sucks lol.

In the last 7 seasons the dude is 69-31 as a starter.  He just led the league in passer rating and was 2nd in the NFL in yards per attempt, and he threw 26 TDs against 5 INTs.

He has 132 TDs against just 43 INTs over the last 7 seasons. 

That poor dude can't get no respect lol. 

He did just get $71 mil guaranteed though.

Dude rarely throws over 200 yards and makes 0 attempts downfield. His INT rate is low because he doesn't take any chances. He is the beneficiary of some very good defenses and running games in KC and San Fran. 

athell likes this

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think both have reached their ceiling and they are just different guys.  Smith is steady and Kirk is a gunslinger.  It is what is is.

He is, I wish we got him

athell likes this

Just now, Peyton said:

Alex has reached his ceiling for sure.  Kirk is just entering his prime and depending on where he goes I have no doubt will elevate his game in the right situation.  Alex Smith just had a career year.  His career year was 4000 yards and 26 td's with a 67% comp. percentage.  That is his career year...that is with a loaded offense and one of the better offensive minds in the game running the show.

For KC, obviously Alex wasn't going to take them to the promised land.  He is a solid player, but he's not going to put a team on his back and force them to the SB.  They got out from under his contract, only gave up a 3rd, and got one of the best slot corners in the game which was a HUGE need for them.  Regardless of what Mahomes does, they win this trade.

7 minutes ago, stizz said:

Dude rarely throws over 200 yards and makes 0 attempts downfield. His INT rate is low because he doesn't take any chances. He is the beneficiary of some very good defenses and running games in KC and San Fran. 

He just threw for 4000 yards and was 2nd in the league in YPA. He threw for under 200 yards twice this season and over 300 yards five times.

Last year he chopped the Falcons into minced meat and threw a bomb for a TD on the first drive of the game.

Some kind of fake news right here.

Edit...the bomb he threw to Kelce set up a TD.  My bad.  The dude can throw the ball down the field. He does check down often...that's not always a terrible thing.

Ovie_Lover likes this

15 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Hiring a new GM was a good start, but there is a reason this team is 1-31 over the last two years. 

The Browns ownership has to be one of the worst in the league.

Or in professional sports entirely.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

He just threw for 4000 yards and was 2nd in the league in YPA. He threw for under 200 yards twice this season and over 300 yards five times.

Last year he chopped the Falcons into minced meat and threw a bomb for a TD on the first drive of the game.

Some kind of fake news right here.

So why is he unanimously known as captain checkdown? He threw for 4000 for the first time in his career and is 33 years old. When pundits list top 5 or top 10 QBs in the league is he ever on the list?

The fake news is you thinking he's good.