Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sidecar Falcon

Redskins trade for Alex Smith

159 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, citsalp said:

Come to think of your probably correct.  Bortles is in his 5th yr option and due 19 million.

yeah and after this season, they are probably going to play it like a 1 year prove it deal.

10 hours ago, coastiemike said:

Hmmm....ok. So the other forums don’t get utilized in the off-season.  Noted for future reference so I know just to post everything here in the future.

I can't speak for everyone, but this is about the only forum I read besides the draft forum around this time of year. I do like that mostly everything gets posted in here (and sometimes moved). 

6 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I just don’t unsterstand the redskins thought process. They found a good QB with what, a 3rd or 4th round pick? The guy put up some nice numbers, top 12-14 in the league. Those guys arent just growing from trees. If cousins goes to the cardinals or broncos, those teams could be dark horse playoff contenders. 

Yeah but he won't resign with them. You guys realize players have to want to come back right?

10 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

He was drafted in the 4th round. Everything I’ve read about the situation points to the Redskins FO not thinking he was a franchise QB. Snyder is a moron. 

Yeah once that got out no way he would ever resign with them.

Sidecar Falcon likes this

14 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Kirk doesn't want to be there. How do you guys not get that?

Yea.  You would think they could do better than Smith + 3rd + Young starting DB but maybe they showed their hand way too soon and had no leverage.

Ovie_Lover likes this

Though they will do doubt recoup that 3rd as a compensatory pick for losing Cousins so I dunno.  Still don’t understand the whole Washington/Kirk drama but oh well.

11 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

It does kinda have to do with the falcons. It’s definite now that the skins are moving on from Cousins and he will hit the open market... his contract will impact Ryan’s contract soooo, it’s probably in TDs best interest to make haste

And we play them next season so....

6 minutes ago, athell said:

Though they will do doubt recoup that 3rd as a compensatory pick for losing Cousins so I dunno.  Still don’t understand the whole Washington/Kirk drama but oh well.

I get it.

They don't like him enough to pay him 30 mil a year. They see him everyday so they should know. They basically get the same (although more mobile) QB in in Alex Smith for about 7 mil a year cheaper. The picks are a wash as they will get it back next year.

40 minutes ago, middlegatv said:

TD is pregnant?

Congrats to him!!

No silly person.  He is late signing Ryan to a "lower" cost contract, not pregnant.  Ryan's accomplishments far exceed Smith's so he will get more money.  A lot more.  At least that's what his agent is going to start with.

10 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Smith just agree to a 4 year extension worth $94 million with $71 guaranteed so TD might a little late if he was trying to beat the market.

Stafford's contract assures that Matt is going to get $28 mil a year if he insist on it. 

6 hours ago, ltstorm2 said:

I don't understand this trade.  The skins didn't get any better at QB and they lost a player and a mid round draft pick.

The Falcons got themselves into a spot with Kirk Cousins.  Because he had been franchised in back to back seasons, his franchise tag number for this year would have been $35 million.  For that reason, it was going to be impossible for the Skins to sign Cousins at a reasonable price.

When he hits the market, we'll see what the guy is really worth. 

10 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Smith just agree to a 4 year extension worth $94 million with $71 guaranteed so TD might a little late if he was trying to beat the market.

So PMF, I have a question.  I respect your football knowledge, so I'm pretty sure you won't think I'm taking shots at Ryan here.  And, I'm a huge fan of his.  He is my favorite player on the team and should be considered better when ranked against his peers, but...  In the context of value from a single position and considering what this team has and where it is going, where do you consider the logical point of not paying and trading someone like Ryan.  I know, it will never happen and I know there is not a snowballs chance of it happening, but the last few years have show that a very good defense with key players on offense that play a role (quarterback that wont make a lot of mistakes, good (not great) running game, decent tight end and threat out of the backfield) can win it all.  I almost hate typing this because I know it sounds stupid, but in Lieu of paying Ryan 30+ million a year and taking the cap hit, with our current team and where it appears we are going, would it make more sense to trade Ryan (new contract or not).  I think respectively right now, we could trade him to someone like the Browns for probably both of their first round picks, a mid-level player and maybe a couple of other picks (third or fourth round - but its the Browns so they might give us all of them), or other another team desperate for a QB.  You could then install Sark's offense with whoever they get to replace him and keep building the defense and Oline and lean on the running game.  I mean when you look at his cap hit, we could get a good OG or DT (if available in FA) and with our first round pick grab some integral pieces.  Of course you would have a huge drop off at QB play, but with the team trending towards the defense being a strength it might be an interesting scenario. 

Its just an interesting thought exercise because eventually the cost and associated cap hit is going to be too much.  A team with a franchise QB is going to say, "you know what, you're really good, but not worth the money".  I don't think there is anyway Blank or TD do this, but there is a point where the finances just don't make any sense.  We have seen this with the devaluation of the RB as the league has become more pass happy.  If you look at teams like the Saints, there three 7 - 9 season were, in large part, due to their inability to get or sign players because of their cap situation directly due to Bree's contract.  Atlanta is young, but not that young and we need key players.  I'm just not sure where the cap value ceiling is for QB's but I have a strong feeling that the value is maxing out and continued increasing contracts are going to start hurting teams more than helping.

53 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah but he won't resign with them. You guys realize players have to want to come back right?

I’d say it did seem mutual that both wanted to part ways, but the redskins should’ve at least tried. They never wanted to commit to him long term. 

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons got themselves into a spot with Kirk Cousins.  Because he had been franchised in back to back seasons, his franchise tag number for this year would have been $35 million.  For that reason, it was going to be impossible for the Skins to sign Cousins at a reasonable price.

When he hits the market, we'll see what the guy is really worth. 

How many times can a team franchise tag a QB under the current CBA?

11 hours ago, coastiemike said:

Hmmm....ok. So the other forums don’t get utilized in the off-season.  Noted for future reference so I know just to post everything here in the future.

Eat a Snickers.

Well either way it goes the skins got what they wanted Kirk got what he wanted which was out so everyone wins.kirk is about to get paid regardless.

10 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

How many times can a team franchise tag a QB under the current CBA?

They can be tagged three times, but the 3rd time requires a 44% raise over the 2nd time.

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Can't root for him anymore.

Being married to a Chiefs fan and living in Kansas I am pretty pleased that I can finally root for the Chiefs after this trade!  Couldn't do it with Smith under center. 

Knight of God likes this

11 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

I’d say it did seem mutual that both wanted to part ways, but the redskins should’ve at least tried. They never wanted to commit to him long term. 

He has turned down every contract he wants PAID

I believe Cousins and his agent were pissed that the Skins didn't want to pay him after taking them to the playoffs 2 years ago. Now Cousins will get paid(overpaid) and run to a team that only needed a decent QB to become a serious contender.

Broncos or Jags. Cardinals are the darkhorse.

14 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

He has turned down every contract he wants PAID

Cousins offered to play for $19 mil a season two years ago and the Redskins countered with $16 mil.

That put the pair in a bad place.

Drew4719 and Ovie_Lover like this