Jump to content

us politics and elections thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the magic: Since Trump doesn't give a **** about inequality or declining real wages it doesn't matter.

It's literally a chain email that boomers forward to each other.    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/canadian-health-care/

Posted Images

First, unlike many welfare programs, a job guarantee actually produces real useful goods and services. Due to government inefficiency, the things created by government jobs -- better roads, nicer buildings, new infrastructure, cleaner public spaces, etc. -- might not be worth quite as much as the money that gets spent on their creation, but they would be worth more than zero.

Second, jobs provide a kind of dignity that traditional welfare programs, or even innovative new ones like universal basic income, probably don't. Third, a government jobs program, would be a very effective tool for fighting the unemployment created by recessions and much cheaper, per job created, than a traditional Keynesian stimulus.

Finally, a government job program could help bring more Americans into the labor force long-term. That might help stanch or even reverse the decline in the U.S. labor force participation rate:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

First, unlike many welfare programs, a job guarantee actually produces real useful goods and services. Due to government inefficiency, the things created by government jobs -- better roads, nicer buildings, new infrastructure, cleaner public spaces, etc. -- might not be worth quite as much as the money that gets spent on their creation, but they would be worth more than zero.

Second, jobs provide a kind of dignity that traditional welfare programs, or even innovative new ones like universal basic income, probably don't. Third, a government jobs program, would be a very effective tool for fighting the unemployment created by recessions and much cheaper, per job created, than a traditional Keynesian stimulus.

Finally, a government job program could help bring more Americans into the labor force long-term. That might help stanch or even reverse the decline in the U.S. labor force participation rate:

 

JFC, you have a short term memory don't you?  We just spent a nearly a trillion dollars on this for infrastructure, police jobs, teacher jobs, that all went to the wayside, hardly any infrastructure was built, and the remaining money was funneled to unions for kickbacks on the ACA.  This is why you or the Democratic party cannot be taken seriously.

Let Trump work on that infrastructure bill and you will see real infrastructure built, that you can actually touch, and guess what, that creates jobs.  Democrats don't even talk a good game anymore, the people are no longer fooled.  That's why you see black conservatives coming out of the woodwork now, it's a new era, that's why the Dems are in panic mode.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

JFC, you have a short term memory don't you?  We just spent a nearly a trillion dollars on this for infrastructure, police jobs, teacher jobs, that all went to the wayside, hardly any infrastructure was built, and the remaining money was funneled to unions for kickbacks on the ACA.  This is why you or the Democratic party cannot be taken seriously.

Let Trump work on that infrastructure bill and you will see real infrastructure built, that you can actually touch, and guess what, that creates jobs.  Democrats don't even talk a good game anymore, the people are no longer fooled.  That's why you see black conservatives coming out of the woodwork now, it's a new era, that's why the Dems are in panic mode.  

That's because we actually need to spend over $5 trillion to rebuild and upgrade the infrastructure. Less than $1 trillion only made a dent in it and $1.5 trillion, as has been suggested during Trump's many scandal riddle infrastructure weeks, will also only make a dent in the problem... and judging off of Puerto Rico that will mostly be ineffective since it will primarily be a grift program for cronies.

You have to learn about the world around you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

That's because we actually need to spend over $5 trillion to rebuild and upgrade the infrastructure. Less than $1 trillion only made a dent in it and $1.5 trillion, as has been suggested during Trump's many scandal riddle infrastructure weeks, will also only make a dent in the problem... and judging off of Puerto Rico that will mostly be ineffective since it will primarily be a grift program for cronies.

You have to learn about the world around you.

I can't help you, there is no helping you.  You just skipped over the fact that most of that money didn't go to infrastructure. 

97dbb6e9c29bacdb7c418f4d0306ce58.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

http://fortune.com/2018/04/24/stacey-abrams-debt-georgia-governor/

Not sure if this has been discussed here but Stacey Abrams got my vote with this commentary. Originally when I saw she had $200K in debt, I saw it as a bad thing but after reading her story I see that it's a completely fair situation that could have happened to anyone. And if anything, having someone who's been through this would make her more sympathetic to the rest of us who are going through similar.

I know she probably won't win against that rat faced clown Cagle but I hope she's able to make debt, particularly student loan debt a campaign issue. A whole generation of Americans are being crushed by this and it's getting to a point where it'll negatively hurt the economy for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, capologist said:

It's Fresno State, why would I believe they'd hold their people to a higher standard?  Of course, if it had been a non-Democrat saying that about a Dem they would have already gone.  My opinion still stands--I question her status as a human being...

I'm just glad they're not pretending to give a **** about right-wing snowflakes complaining about free speech. Good on Fresno State.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...