Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achilles return

us politics and elections thread

2,175 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Booker/ Bernie 2020. 

Booker didn't raise much from corporations either. He only raised about 2.5ish million from all PACs and about 75% of that was Corporate Pacs.  Most of his money is large individual donations. 

Probably not a good sign when you don't have grassroots support and the corporate donors are going elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Probably not a good sign when you don't have grassroots support and the corporate donors are going elsewhere.

Meh. Not true based on what I have read, but we will see. 

Booker's lone statewide race was in a red wave year. The grassroots weren't activated for any dem candidate. Brown/Warren/Harris/Gillibrand had a presidential year or blue wave to boost up their small-dollar donations. 

Booker raised roughly 25% of Gillibrand/Harris/Brown while not being on the ballot. He is going to have to do better, but writing him off doesn't make sense unless you have an agenda. 

5 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Meh. Not true based on what I have read, but we will see. 

Booker's lone statewide race was in a red wave year. The grassroots weren't activated for any dem candidate. Brown/Warren/Harris/Gillibrand had a presidential year or blue wave to boost up their small-dollar donations. 

Booker raised roughly 25% of Gillibrand/Harris/Brown while not being on the ballot. He is going to have to do better, but writing him off doesn't make sense unless you have an agenda. 

Mostly just writing him off due to his poll numbers and poor fundraising.

On a purely anecdotal level I have also not encountered big fans of his, on the internet or in real life, like I have with other candidates like Sanders, Harris, Beto, or Warren. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I cannot find his base of support. He just comes off as a bit more relevant Gillibrand to me, though in Booker's defense he isn't completely loathed by some segments of the party.

1 minute ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Mostly just writing him off due to his poll numbers and poor fundraising.

On a purely anecdotal level I have also not encountered big fans of his, on the internet or in real life, like I have with other candidates like Sanders, Harris, Beto, or Warren. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I cannot find his base of support. He just comes off as a bit more relevant Gillibrand to me, though in Booker's defense he isn't completely loathed by some segments of the party.

poll numbers and fundraising are not really important at this step.  As I pointed out before with Harry Enten's tweet, they are not predictive. You obviously want more support than less, but plenty of examples of people with Booker's support gaining support and examples of people with Biden's support crashing. Race is still wide open. 

The same thing was said about HRC and her supporters online prior to the primary. We had whole stories about secret pro HRC facebook groups. Anecdotes are just anecdotes. Dude also has one of the largest Twitter followings among 2020 candidates. I think Warren and Sanders are the only ones larger. 

Also, Booker has been making smaller waves on the ground in places he has campaigned.

Their legwork on the ground thus far has set Booker's operation apart from many of the expected top tier of candidates. During Booker's recent visit to New Hampshire, the state Democratic Party Chairman praised him as "the best friend New Hampshire Democrats had in 2018."

"Booker is the farthest along," assessed one Iowa Democratic strategist not aligned with any 2020 campaign.

He has been doing extremely well in the invisible primary portion of the race. we will see if that translates. 

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

poll numbers and fundraising are not really important at this step.  As I pointed out before with Harry Enten's tweet, they are not predictive. You obviously want more support than less, but plenty of examples of people with Booker's support gaining support and examples of people with Biden's support crashing. Race is still wide open. 

The same thing was said about HRC and her supporters online prior to the primary. We had whole stories about secret pro HRC facebook groups. Anecdotes are just anecdotes. Dude also has one of the largest Twitter followings among 2020 candidates. I think Warren and Sanders are the only ones larger. 

Also, Booker has been making smaller waves on the ground in places he has campaigned.

He has been doing extremely well in the invisible primary portion of the race. we will see if that translates. 

Just a word of warning: I'd take social media followings with a grain of salt. We know full well that politicians and other prominent people, and some of their weird fans, like to hire bot companies to pad their followers and engagements. This applies to politicians I like as well.

As for your first point, there really aren't that many examples. It is rare for candidates polling in the 1-5% range at this point to win the nomination. The only ones I can think of are Carter, Bill, and Trump. Booker would have to pull off something historic to win. Not saying that it's impossible but... it's very unlikely. Also, though I'd like more polls to confirm it, we have that poll from a month or so ago that showed that the top second choice with Biden supporters was Sanders (and vice versa) so, unless that was incorrect, then I don't see how a Biden implosion will help Booker.

9 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Booker didn't raise much from corporations either. He only raised about 2.5ish million from all PACs and about 75% of that was Corporate Pacs.  Most of his money is large individual donations. 

gettyimages-690623258-1520868773.jpg

6 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Just a word of warning: I'd take social media followings with a grain of salt. We know full well that politicians and other prominent people, and some of their weird fans, like to hire bot companies to pad their followers and engagements. This applies to politicians I like as well.

As for your first point, there really aren't that many examples. It is rare for candidates polling in the 1-5% range at this point to win the nomination. The only ones I can think of are Carter, Bill, and Trump. Booker would have to pull off something historic to win. Not saying that it's impossible but... it's very unlikely. Also, though I'd like more polls to confirm it, we have that poll from a month or so ago that showed that the top second choice with Biden supporters was Sanders (and vice versa) so, unless that was incorrect, then I don't see how a Biden implosion will help Booker.

I wasn't claiming Biden's support was going to Booker. As you can see from the chart someone polled at 38% in a dem primary ended up with zero percent of the vote. A Biden collapse is not unheard of. Also I wouldn't put too much into 2nd choice candidates either. Biden and Bernie have name recognition advantages.

Worrying about polling at this point is dumb. We haven't even had one debate yet. Debates are seen by 10s of millions of potential voters.  This is a marathon, not a sprint. 

23 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I wasn't claiming Biden's support was going to Booker. As you can see from the chart someone polled at 38% in a dem primary ended up with zero percent of the vote. A Biden collapse is not unheard of. Also I wouldn't put too much into 2nd choice candidates either. Biden and Bernie have name recognition advantages.

Worrying about polling at this point is dumb. We haven't even had one debate yet. Debates are seen by 10s of millions of potential voters.  This is a marathon, not a sprint. 

I'm expecting Biden to implode so there isn't really a point in convincing me that it could happen.

I also recognize that it's a marathon. I'm just pointing out how other marathons have gone.

25 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

I'm expecting Biden to implode so there isn't really a point in convincing me that it could happen.

I also recognize that it's a marathon. I'm just pointing out how other marathons have gone.

Go home Joe...

51 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Something special about a Trump boot licker trying to get someone else about racism.

Biden is getting himself, not someone getting him. The difference is lost on the left bootlickers.

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Biden is getting himself, not someone getting him. The difference is lost on the left bootlickers.

lol

Biden is a sack of ****. Never argued against that. Just funny people who worship a racist are trying to get someone else on racism.

Big_Dog and AF89 like this

Just now, Psychic Gibbon said:

lol

Biden is a sack of ****. Never argued against that. Just funny people who worship a racist are trying to get someone else on racism.

First off, who worships politicians? Second, these clips were for anyone's eyes that think Biden should even enter the race.

6 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

38,000 donors. 37 dollar average. Very impressive small donation haul. 

New math I guess?  They are $94k off 

The average is actually: $39.47

Don't let Politico do the math for her campaign

49 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Harris doesn’t seem to have much traction.

God, I wish this would hold true for two more year's...Trump landslide 2020