achilles return

us politics and elections thread

3,000 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

I again ask why is shw running.

She's going to hope people confuse her with Gillibrand and together they'll form a "I used to be racist AND homophobic" superbrand

Ojeda voted for Trump. He never had a chance. I do not see why he did this.  I thought this was suppose to raise he notoriety so he could better compete for WVGOv, but I guess he will fade. 

Sn4tteRBoxXeR likes this

so two polls in a few days showing that Medicare 4 All == Public Option. 

Hopefully the left keeps pushing for Single Payer. I do not want Medicare 4 America to get watered down. 

15 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

so two polls in a few days showing that Medicare 4 All == Public Option. 

Hopefully the left keeps pushing for Single Payer. I do not want Medicare 4 America to get watered down. 

Going to be an uphill battle, but that was always known. Incremental reform and half measures do little more than maintain the rot without removing it.

13 hours ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Going to be an uphill battle, but that was always known. Incremental reform and half measures do little more than maintain the rot without removing it.

As I said, I support it because it shifts the Overton window on the healthcare debate. AOC comes out with GND and now Rs are talking about the greatness of a carbon tax after Obama failed to pass one a few years ago.

The stronger Medicare for all/ single payer does, the more likely the compromise will be a non watered down Medicare for America Act. Just having a public option is not enough, especially one that isn't open to larger employers. Repubs have been gutting Medicaid with their work requirements and Medicaid/CHIP always varied on their generosity by state. Having one federal program that includes Medicare/Medicaid/CHIP/Public Option is very important to getting universal healthcare and making sure people do not fall between the cracks or are underinsured. 

The biggest problem I see with SP actually being successful is that the plans are not living up to the expectation you are pushing. SP advocates keep talking about how other OECD countries pay less and that we pay the most, but that would still be true in an SP world. Mercatus study found a savings of 2 trillion over ten years, but that is less than 1% in savings. And what happens if M4Am is able to achieve 1 trillion or 1.5 trillion in savings? Unless you care about the destruction of private insurance, it doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade.