achilles return

us politics and elections thread

3,000 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Psychic Gibbon said:
Biden and Sanders are still at the top, though Biden will probably collapse once the campaign season kicks into gear. Beto gained steam. The usual figures floated as potential leading figures (eg. Warren, Harris, Booker) are stagnant or falling.

They all stagnated/ fell if we are talking about percentage. No one is above 30 percent. That is a bad place to be for people with the name recognition of Bernie and Biden, but it is interesting that their supporters would move to the other first. I would have assumed Booker was second for Biden and Warren second for Bernie. 

Booker being 4th for Biden is not good, but second for Bernie is much better than I expected. 

 

It it will be interesting to see if Beto is a flavor of the month or has staying power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GEORGIAfan said:

They all stagnated/ fell if we are talking about percentage. No one is above 30 percent. That is a bad place to be for people with the name recognition of Bernie and Biden, but it is interesting that their supporters would move to the other first. I would have assumed Booker was second for Biden and Warren second for Bernie. 

Booker being 4th for Biden is not good, but second for Bernie is much better than I expected. 

 

It it will be interesting to see if Beto is a flavor of the month or has staying power. 

I've been telling you: Booker isn't going anywhere. He's the centrist version of Warren... No real base outside of the home state and doesn't really fire anyone up.

Beto is interesting. The center loves him while the left seems open to him, which is a rare start. He's a good organizer, has charisma, excites a lot of people outside of his home state, and he's young. At the very least he's most likely going to be near or at the top of VP shortlists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Democrats Have Made One Thing Very Clear About 2020: They’re Over White Men

Or, why Kamala Harris looks like a likely nominee.

If there’s anyone who sits at the intersection of what Democratic voters seem to want in a candidate, it’s Sen. Kamala Harris of California. A nonwhite woman, she looks like the most active and loyal parts of the Democratic base. A black woman with South Asian heritage, she would make history as president. She’s close to the progressive wing of the Democratic Party (but not so progressive that she doesn’t have real opposition on the left, tied to her controversial record as state attorney general) and has built herself up as a tough, unapologetic opponent of the administration (although she has voted for some of Trump’s nominees). Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey, likewise, would satisfy an apparently strong desire from Democratic voters to elevate a candidate of color to the White House. (This desire is why you also shouldn’t dismiss former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, who is also considering a bid for the nomination and has support from top Obama allies.)

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/democratic-presidential-candidates-2020-diversity-white-men.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 2:53 AM, lostone said:

 

It’s almost like Nate Silver knows what he’s doing and the partisan hacks shouting “RED WAVE” and predicting that Reps would keep the House were full of crap.

Funny how that seems to work each and every election, huh?

lostone likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 6:37 AM, jidady said:

That's a unique argument. "Someone thinks I'm a total moron. I win!!!"

I mean, given how wrong he is about so many things...it’s kind of the only move he has left.  Don’t think there’s anyone left on the boards that actually respects him or his uninformed opinions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 6:07 PM, Psychic Gibbon said:

Biden and Sanders are still at the top, though Biden will probably collapse once the campaign season kicks into gear. Beto gained steam. The usual figures floated as potential leading figures (eg. Warren, Harris, Booker) are stagnant or falling.

The really interesting thing is that among Biden and Sanders supporters their second choice is Sanders and Biden, respectively.

That lineup looks like the 2018 Baltimore Orioles lineup.  GOP saying, put me in coach. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beto O’Rourke begins to blow up the 2020 Democratic primary

By DAVID SIDERS   11/19/2018 09:04 AM EST

Sparked by his narrow defeat in a Texas Senate race, Beto O’Rourke is scrambling the 2020 presidential primary field, freezing Democratic donors and potential campaign staffers in place as they await word of his plans. Top party donors and operatives are eager to see the Texas congressman jump into the presidential race.

Even prior to O’Rourke’s meteoric rise, many Democratic fundraisers had approached the large number of 2020 contenders with apprehension, fearful of committing early to one candidate. But the prospect of a presidential bid by O’Rourke, whose charismatic Senate candidacy captured the party’s imagination, has suddenly rewired the race. O’Rourke — who raised a stunning $38 million in the third quarter of his race — is widely considered capable of raising millions of dollars quickly, according to interviews with multiple Democratic money bundlers and strategists, catapulting him into the upper echelons of the 2020 campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, big_dog said:

Beto O’Rourke begins to blow up the 2020 Democratic primary

By DAVID SIDERS   11/19/2018 09:04 AM EST

Sparked by his narrow defeat in a Texas Senate race, Beto O’Rourke is scrambling the 2020 presidential primary field, freezing Democratic donors and potential campaign staffers in place as they await word of his plans. Top party donors and operatives are eager to see the Texas congressman jump into the presidential race.

Even prior to O’Rourke’s meteoric rise, many Democratic fundraisers had approached the large number of 2020 contenders with apprehension, fearful of committing early to one candidate. But the prospect of a presidential bid by O’Rourke, whose charismatic Senate candidacy captured the party’s imagination, has suddenly rewired the race. O’Rourke — who raised a stunning $38 million in the third quarter of his race — is widely considered capable of raising millions of dollars quickly, according to interviews with multiple Democratic money bundlers and strategists, catapulting him into the upper echelons of the 2020 campaign.

The Dems are always chasing the next person to fit in the Johnny Bravo suit.  4:10

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

The Dems are always chasing the next person to fit in the Johnny Bravo suit.  4:10

 

No, the 'D's are just playing it smart by searching for the right candidate to wipe out the 'R's 2020 candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, big_dog said:

No, the 'D's are just playing it smart by searching for the right candidate to wipe out the 'R's 2020 candidate.

I remember when you "Squirrely Bob" lol at the GOP when they ran 17 candidates, now that the Dems will run more than that it's okay with you.

You are the typical hypocritical Dem voter...thank you for being you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I remember when you "Squirrely Bob" lol at the GOP when they ran 17 candidates, now that the Dems will run more than that it's okay with you.

Don't remember this part but who knows, maybe I did. I have trouble today balancing my checkbook.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, big_dog said:

           :swoon:             Not bad looking for a Democrat  @WhenFalconsWin                  :swoon:

She's cute, said that before. Like I said several times she has free room and board at my place.

Let's just say it's @WhenFalconsWin of reaching across the aisle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First true thing he has said in awhile.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz told students at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Thursday that Democrats might move to impeach President Donald Trump now that “some of the angriest voices on the left” have been elected to the House of Representatives.

“Today is a deeply divided time. There’s an anger. There’s a rage that I think isn’t healthy,” Cruz said during the speech.  “I think it isn’t good for our country that the anger that we’re seeing — we saw it in this last election and we’ll see it in 2020 — that anger and rage tearing us apart corrodes our democracy.”

Cruz expressed similar sentiments in November, warning that Democrats’ anger will drive them to the polls, especially in Texas. On the weekend before the midterm election, he cautioned that their anger is so mobilizing that “they’ll crawl over broken glass” in order to try to vote Republicans out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, big_dog said:

First true thing he has said in awhile.

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz told students at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Thursday that Democrats might move to impeach President Donald Trump now that “some of the angriest voices on the left” have been elected to the House of Representatives.

“Today is a deeply divided time. There’s an anger. There’s a rage that I think isn’t healthy,” Cruz said during the speech.  “I think it isn’t good for our country that the anger that we’re seeing — we saw it in this last election and we’ll see it in 2020 — that anger and rage tearing us apart corrodes our democracy.”

Cruz expressed similar sentiments in November, warning that Democrats’ anger will drive them to the polls, especially in Texas. On the weekend before the midterm election, he cautioned that their anger is so mobilizing that “they’ll crawl over broken glass” in order to try to vote Republicans out.

Yet he still beat Robert Francis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first time the "clean the swamp' will mean something   :slick:

House Democrats are planning to open their majority with a statement about cleaning up politics. H.R. 1, the bill that will hold the title of the first in the new term, even if it’s a long fight and other things beat it to a final vote, will be focused on political reform, from voting rights to ethics for federal officials:

Elements of the legislation, according to a draft outline reviewed by The Washington Post, include new donor disclosure requirements for political organizations, a system to multiply small donations to political campaigns, mandating a new ethical code for the Supreme Court, ending most first-class travel for federal officeholders, and a broad effort to expand voting access and reduce partisan gerrymandering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, big_dog said:

For the first time the "clean the swamp' will mean something   :slick:

House Democrats are planning to open their majority with a statement about cleaning up politics. H.R. 1, the bill that will hold the title of the first in the new term, even if it’s a long fight and other things beat it to a final vote, will be focused on political reform, from voting rights to ethics for federal officials:

Elements of the legislation, according to a draft outline reviewed by The Washington Post, include new donor disclosure requirements for political organizations, a system to multiply small donations to political campaigns, mandating a new ethical code for the Supreme Court, ending most first-class travel for federal officeholders, and a broad effort to expand voting access and reduce partisan gerrymandering.

 

To pass anything they'll have to get the Senate who has a 53-47 majority on board.

Maybe both sides can get things they want if they're willing to compromise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

To pass anything they'll have to get the Senate who has a 53-47 majority on board.

Maybe both sides can get things they want if they're willing to compromise.

With all the smoke surrounding the POTUS concerning his connections to Russia maybe the 'R's that have backed his BS so fervently will wake up and realize they have been snookered by a con artist. I doubt that it has sunk in your skull yet but I have hope for you. You have to wake up one day and realized what's going on is not a witch hunt. Mueller isn't through yet but he's climbing to the top slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, big_dog said:

With all the smoke surrounding the POTUS concerning his connections to Russia maybe the 'R's that have backed his BS so fervently will wake up and realize they have been snookered by a con artist. I doubt that it has sunk in your skull yet but I have hope for you. You have to wake up one day and realized what's going on is not a witch hunt. Mueller isn't through yet but he's climbing to the top slowly.

I woke up this morning made some nice French quarter market Street coffee, a three egg farm omlette, and a couple maple sausage patties.  

I ate it on the back deck overlooking my boathouse and the lake. I will be taking the boat out soon to do some bass fishing. 

So you see @big_dog, have am awaken and this is what I see. I love to share this with people, maybe one day you'll have the privilege.

So in the end don't let this get you all bent out of shape, relax, you'll have Trump a few more years and then have a chance to vote him out. That is if you don't like what he has accomplished in his first term.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I woke up this morning made some nice French quarter market Street coffee, a three egg farm omlette, and a couple maple sausage patties.  

I ate it on the back deck overlooking my boathouse and the lake. I will be taking the boat out soon to do some bass fishing. 

So you see @big_dog, have am awaken and this is what I see. I love to share this with people, maybe one day you'll have the privilege.

So in the end don't let this get you all bent out of shape, relax, you'll have Trump a few more years and then have a chance to vote him out. That is if you don't like what he has accomplished in his first term.

 

:vince: The 'Rs' will never let him run again. This country doesn't want a POTUS owned by Russia. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now