achilles return

us politics and elections thread

3,000 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HMFIC said:

Really can't argue with that.  We need term limits to oust some fossils.

I've been saying term limits for years on here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I've been saying term limits for years on here.  

Yeah, it's strange how you are parroting something that's been repeated on AM radio every day for the past 30 years. I just can't believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't the presidential election poll show that almost every single UnDecided voter polled chose Trump? 

The phenomenon was caused by the left's insistence on shaming everyone who voiced any opposition to the chosen one, so those leaning right kept their mouths shut.  Has this gotten better or worse? 

So polls showing 48% dems/ 45% repub will morph into 48% dem/ 52% repub on election day if the trend holds.

 

 

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doozer said:

Didn't the presidential election poll show that almost every single UnDecided voter polled chose Trump? 

The phenomenon was caused by the left's insistence on shaming everyone who voiced any opposition to the chosen one, so those leaning right kept their mouths shut.  Has this gotten better or worse? 

So polls showing 48% dems/ 45% repub will morph into 48% dem/ 52% repub on election day if the trend holds.

 

 

It was 2:1, which would mean 3 points Lamb and 4 points Saccone giving Lamb 51 and Saccone 49. But the difference there was that HRC was up and Trump was gaining, while in this race Saccone was up and Lamb is the one gaining. Just a couple weeks ago, Saccone was up 3-5 pts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jpowers said:

That is one of the most Alabama names ever.

Maybe if it was Sue Bear Cobb, or Susan Bo-Newton Gump van Zant. Or maybe even Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the third.

Jpowors, mdrake34 and Sancho like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HMFIC said:

Not familiar with her at all.......Dem ? Rep ?   Most likely Rep.  Alabama has had some weird Governors, the bar is not set very high. Oh, just saw where you said she is a Dem, could be a Scoop Jackson Dem, o a lefty Dem.  Any comments on her ?

After she left the Alabama Supreme Court, she helped take down a corrupt DA. That is where I am familiar with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jpowers said:

That is one of the most Alabama names ever.

A girl I went to high school with, an elementary school teacher, is expecting her third child (with her second husband, her first husband was such a ******* moron), a girl named "Jolie Rayne (Last Name)."

Jpowors likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GEORGIAfan said:

 

Since when do Republicans like Tariffs? Seems kinda antithetical to their free market values or whatever. (Whereas I remember certain tariffs being pretty popular with say Bernie :ninja:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Since when do Republicans like Tariffs? Seems kinda antithetical to their free market values or whatever. (Whereas I remember certain tariffs being pretty popular with say Bernie :ninja:)

It's a negotiating tactic to get fair trade.  That's what he/us want out of this, if it succeeds in getting that, he will either lesson them or take them away altogether.  Trump is the negotiating King.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading comments on Twitter tonight about the Texas primaries is kinda scary. A significant portion of voters on Twitter tonight don't seem to understand what a primary is.

mdrake34 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Reading comments on Twitter tonight about the Texas primaries is kinda scary. A significant portion of voters on Twitter tonight don't seem to understand what a primary is.

Well it is Texas, bless their hearts...and this is coming from a guy who has spent a significant amount of time down there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

It's a negotiating tactic to get fair trade.  That's what he/us want out of this, if it succeeds in getting that, he will either lesson them or take them away altogether.  Trump is the negotiating King.  

There are more than a few mechanisms to impose tariffs to level the playing field. Where this gets incredibly dumb is:

1. He's trying to use national security as the reason for these tariffs. Those WTO rules regard things like, y'know, military arms and supplies. They're undoubtedly going to get dunked on if they try to actually argue that.

2. These tariffs were presented to him by advisors that would have leveled the playing field. Trump then opted to double that recommendation since he was in a bad mood.

3. He is still threatening to impose these tariffs on Canada and Mexico, who will respond in kind like most of the world has threatened since he announced this. This becomes an obvious issue when you realize that this will disproportionately negatively impact the Rust Belt.

4. It will still be cheaper for corporations to outsource labor and export goods to the United States.

5. This will cause prices to rise on a host of goods.

6. Trump is considered a joke in the business world since he's actually a terrible negotiator. He doesn't negotiate prices when he licenses his brand out to anyone who asks and is part of the reason of why he can't take out loans anymore. It's why the producers of The Apprentice went after him to host the show since they thought it would be hilarious if they made a notoriously bad businessman the face of a business oriented show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now