Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
achilles return

us politics and elections thread

2,181 posts in this topic

Sen. Cory Gardner said Wednesday that he still sees real possibility for Republican pickups in the Senate in the coming midterm elections.

“What we’ve seen over the past week is a significant change in the generic ballot, Republican vs. Democrat, and that’s all because of the popularity of what we’ve been able to accomplish in the last year, including the tax cuts,” the Colorado Republican said on “The Hugh Hewitt Show.”

Mr. Gardner chairs the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the campaign arm of Senate Republicans.

9 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Sen. Cory Gardner said Wednesday that he still sees real possibility for Republican pickups in the Senate in the coming midterm elections.

“What we’ve seen over the past week is a significant change in the generic ballot, Republican vs. Democrat, and that’s all because of the popularity of what we’ve been able to accomplish in the last year, including the tax cuts,” the Colorado Republican said on “The Hugh Hewitt Show.”

Mr. Gardner chairs the National Republican Senatorial Committee, the campaign arm of Senate Republicans.

Senate'18 has always been hard for dems to defend, but Republicans are struggling to put up good candidates in these races, which will help dems.  I can see dems winning +2 seats or losing +2 seats. 

2 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

Senate'18 has always been hard for dems to defend, but Republicans are struggling to put up good candidates in these races, which will help dems.  I can see dems winning +2 seats or losing +2 seats. 

Three days into 2018, and the news media already is pushing the narrative that the Republican Party will lose control of Congress in November. The midterm elections are already over, the Democratic Party will regain control of Capitol Hill, and that’s that. Then there’s a simple reality: The GOP has been preparing for the midterm elections battle for a year and is ready to rumble.

“We know historically the party that holds the White House loses seats in the midterms. And that’s why the Republican National Committee has been on the ground from the beginning of 2017. We’re already in 21 states working our field program, we’ve raised unprecedented amounts of money that we’re putting into these states early, building out our field program so that we can win in these midterms,” RNC Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel tells Fox News.

Indeed, the party has $121.4 million in spending money — and no debt. The Democrats have about half that amount, and are $2 million in debt. The GOP also has retooled its message into a robust public outreach that spans multiple ethnic and interest groups, and will stage a national day of leadership training for grass-roots volunteers this month. 

“Let’s look at the records of Republicans and this president in this first year. Unemployment at a 17-year low, consumer confidence at a record high, you look at the Dow you look at these tax cuts so what it’s going to mean for the middle class to get more money in their paychecks. We are delivering on promises that we have made. We have an accomplishment column that’s very large and the Democrats have nothing to run on. They’ve done nothing this year, and I don’t think that’s going to resonate in 2018,” Mrs. McDaniel says.

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Three days into 2018, and the news media already is pushing the narrative that the Republican Party will lose control of Congress in November. The midterm elections are already over, the Democratic Party will regain control of Capitol Hill, and that’s that. Then there’s a simple reality: The GOP has been preparing for the midterm elections battle for a year and is ready to rumble.

“We know historically the party that holds the White House loses seats in the midterms. And that’s why the Republican National Committee has been on the ground from the beginning of 2017. We’re already in 21 states working our field program, we’ve raised unprecedented amounts of money that we’re putting into these states early, building out our field program so that we can win in these midterms,” RNC Chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel tells Fox News.

Indeed, the party has $121.4 million in spending money — and no debt. The Democrats have about half that amount, and are $2 million in debt. The GOP also has retooled its message into a robust public outreach that spans multiple ethnic and interest groups, and will stage a national day of leadership training for grass-roots volunteers this month. 

“Let’s look at the records of Republicans and this president in this first year. Unemployment at a 17-year low, consumer confidence at a record high, you look at the Dow you look at these tax cuts so what it’s going to mean for the middle class to get more money in their paychecks. We are delivering on promises that we have made. We have an accomplishment column that’s very large and the Democrats have nothing to run on. They’ve done nothing this year, and I don’t think that’s going to resonate in 2018,” Mrs. McDaniel says.

Spin meet reality

DUuSpumU8AAxgVq.jpg

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

We'll see, don't you and I already have a sig bet or was that 2020? 

We do not. Our bet is 2020. Don't try and weasel out of it. 

I am happy to agree to a bet(meaning potentially outside a sig bet). How about 1 of us picks terms the other picks the punishment? You can choose which one you want. 

3 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

We do not. Our bet is 2020. Don't try and weasel out of it. 

I am happy to agree to a bet(meaning potentially outside a sig bet). How about 1 of us picks terms the other picks the punishment? You can choose which one you want. 

That's why I asked.  I'm still trying to get over the fact you backed out of the general election bet with me.  I guess you were never as sure of yourself and I could sense that.  I had 100% faith in Trump's victory which is why I won hm's electoral map thread.  

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

That's why I asked.  I'm still trying to get over the fact you backed out of the general election bet with me.  I guess you were never as sure of yourself and I could sense that.  I had 100% faith in Trump's victory which is why I won hm's electoral map thread.  

I have literally accepted the bet post-election and asked you to pick out a sig for me. No one is scared of a 1-week sig bet. 

So do you want to do a 2018 bet or not? 

1 hour ago, achilles return said:

cool thread for some cool people

also about elections and stuff

(keep russia and anti-russia stuff to the trump thread because we probably don't care)

Any objection to me renaming this as the 2018 Election Run-Up Thread? 

Use it as a thread for early polling, etc.? 

40 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I "think" Gardner and the GOP are all hoping that the economy is going to swing it in their direction.

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Part of the intent was to be able to discuss 2018 elections and polling.

15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Might I suggest "Soon To Be Devoured and Destroyed By The Overwhelming and Unstoppable The Trump Presidency Thread Thread"

Edited by The Monarch

19 minutes ago, The Monarch said:

Might I suggest "Soon To Be Devoured and Destroyed By The Overwhelming and Unstoppable The Trump Presidency Thread Thread"

yeah, I'm afraid this is going to be the XFL of political threads. 

SpongeDad likes this

52 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

i didn't want it to be too specific, i just wanted a place we could post about politics and elections without getting bogged down into the conspiracy bickering 

27 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Literally the only thing I remember from the original XFL.

I remember that rather than a coin flip they had a race for the ball called the “scramble” to determine possession and on the very first scramble the guy tore his acl.

Also Tommy Maddox was good at XFL.

Gritzblitz 2.0 and mdrake34 like this

43 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

yeah, I'm afraid this is going to be the XFL of political threads. 

Does anyone here have a record?