Draft Wynn and sign a FA G and the OL is solidified

9 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Then the draft isn't the place to look. I'm sure we will, but it really sin't. At this point we need to get a FA guard and focus on developing Harlow and Schweitzer. Wes wasn't as bad as people here were crying. 

I 100% agree on getting a free agency guard, and based off of what TD has said about drafting offensive linemen I think he shares the same sentiment.

But Schweitzer was pretty bad by every metric. PFF had him like bottom 10 worst guards in the league. He needed help A LOT.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I 100% agree on getting a free agency guard, and based off of what TD has said about drafting offensive linemen I think he shares the same sentiment.

But Schweitzer was pretty bad by every metric. PFF had him like bottom 10 worst guards in the league. He needed help A LOT.

Not a fan of metrics and especially PFF. He played like a rookie OL drafted in the 6th. Needs more work.

40 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Not a fan of metrics and especially PFF. He played like a rookie OL drafted in the 6th. Needs more work.

Yeah, he didn't even sniff the field his 'rookie' season and came in about as raw and inexperienced as a player can be. Besides, how many of the guards in the lower 1/3 of the league this past year had less experience than Schweitzer?  Obviously the top G of the draft is going to be gone by our pick and I think it's time we used a top pick for a playmaker as well.  Julio isn't getting any younger and we still haven't seen someone really impress at TE although I still think Hooper can be a good option.  I think we need a top-flight WR added to this offense that's going to be around for a while and add a great third WR option for really opening things up (including the running game).  Gabriel's gone and there's much better choices available if we jump at one of them in the first (or even second round).  Get Levitre re-signed into a cap-friendly deal and get Poe re-signed as he now knows our system and would bring some consistency of what we had on defense this past year. 

1 minute ago, falconfansince66 said:

Yeah, he didn't even sniff the field his 'rookie' season and came in about as raw and inexperienced as a player can be. Besides, how many of the guards in the lower 1/3 of the league this past year had less experience than Schweitzer?  Obviously the top G of the draft is going to be gone by our pick and I think it's time we used a top pick for a playmaker as well.  Julio isn't getting any younger and we still haven't seen someone really impress at TE although I still think Hooper can be a good option.  I think we need a top-flight WR added to this offense that's going to be around for a while and add a great third WR option for really opening things up (including the running game).  Gabriel's gone and there's much better choices available if we jump at one of them in the first (or even second round).  Get Levitre re-signed into a cap-friendly deal and get Poe re-signed as he now knows our system and would bring some consistency of what we had on defense this past year. 

That's all I'm saying and a so called "elite OL" isn't the magic bullet. 

54 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He is far from where he needs to be.  We can wait for him to develop (might never happen).  I think there are several OG's in this draft that are better equipped to handle the starting RG position than Wes.  

In my eyes, Wes is a back up.......and not a very good one. 

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

He is far from where he needs to be.  We can wait for him to develop (might never happen).  I think there are several OG's in this draft that are better equipped to handle the starting RG position than Wes.  

In my eyes, Wes is a back up.......and not a very good one. 

Then its time for an FA.

14 hours ago, falconfansince66 said:

Agree with the Levitre and Poe signings.  I disagree with waiting for Wes to develop.  He is long and too high hipped to anchor against DT's  He is also too slow to kick out to OT.  

Let's face it, Wes is a project.  Do we have time to wait for him?  NO.  

I think there are several OG's in this draft that are better than Wes NOW.  Wynn, Hernandez, Gossett and Price are better than WS.  We need to draft one of them.  

Just now, etherdome said:

Sign a FA, if we can't re-structure Levitre.  Draft a good young OG in the 1st or 2nd round.  

I would go with BPA in the first round.  Draft an OG in the second round.  

No. That's wasteful. Just sign a guy and continue training the two young OG's and Levitre will likely still be here one way or another. Do not draft an OG that high and sign a FA. 

Just now, etherdome said:

Agree with the Levitre and Poe signings.  I disagree with waiting for Wes to develop.  He is long and to high hipped to anchor against DT's  He is also too slow to kick out to OT.  

Let's face it, Wes is a project.  Do we have time to wait for him?  NO.  

I think there are several OG's in this draft that are better than Wes NOW.  Wynn, Hernandez, Gossett and Price are better than WS.  We need to draft one of them.  

Maybe Wes isn't the guy, maybe that guy is someone we can add via FA. Since 2011 we've only seen two offensive players drafted (Julio and Matthews) and none since DQ became HC in 2015.  Although a G is needed, the balance on the offense is likely to drop if we don't add another potential gamer.  With several players on the offense gone to FA this year, we do need to get someone that can spread the field and become a huge focus of opposing defenses for years to come.  The past few years we HAD to draft on defense, now we have a respectable one and the urgency isn't there as that is shifting towards the offense.  I always thought that if you can, you need to add a serious playmaker on offense at least every four-five years and it has been seven since drafting Julio.  

3 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

Maybe Wes isn't the guy, maybe that guy is someone we can add via FA. Since 2011 we've only seen two offensive players drafted (Julio and Matthews) and none since DQ became HC in 2015.  Although a G is needed, the balance on the offense is likely to drop if we don't add another potential gamer.  With several players on the offense gone to FA this year, we do need to get someone that can spread the field and become a huge focus of opposing defenses for years to come.  The past few years we HAD to draft on defense, now we have a respectable one and the urgency isn't there as that is shifting towards the offense.  I always thought that if you can, you need to add a serious playmaker on offense at least every four-five years and it has been seven since drafting Julio.  

I want more than just a respectable defense. We’ve still got a few holes to fill on that side of the ball.

15 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I want more than just a respectable defense. We’ve still got a few holes to fill on that side of the ball.

I fully agree, but the defense we have already has four of our first round picks and three of our second round picks (one of whom was cut this past season).  I would much rather have the defense we have protecting a lead rather than one trying to keep points off the board because our offense can't score any points.

1 hour ago, falconfansince66 said:

Yeah this is my thing alot on here are after that one fix that will seemingly put us over the top.Will a 1st round G help probably but who knows.

Im of the idea that there are many moves that can make this team better and hence why I'm huge on Christian Kirk he covers 2 roles and there would be no need to carry guy's like Gabriel or Roberts.

If we did take him in the first round I honestly wouldn't be mad man he's a player that can make this team better and is a spot not many have looked at or rate to make the team better.

It has been 11 years since the Falcons made a truly successful early round pick at guard or center with Justin Blalock. Dimitroff hasn't succeeded yet in ten years and the Konz failure still is an Achilles Heel to the roster. If a player like Wynn who is a power blocker who can be effective in the ZBS is available, I think we ought to jump at the chance. We can't keep applying band-aids to the line and expect to be able to control the ball late in playoff games against superior defenses.

3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

What does him being drafted in the 6th say about his ceiling, though? Do we really want to take our chances developing someone who may not even have much potential in the first place? 

And is it worth putting Ryan at risk? He's a pocket QB. I don't think Belichick would let Brady going into 2018 with Wes Schweitzer blocking for him. I think Ryan has earned the right to that privilege as well.

1 minute ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

What does him being drafted in the 6th say about his ceiling, though? Do we really want to take our chances developing someone who may not even have much potential in the first place? 

And is it worth putting Ryan at risk? He's a pocket QB. I don't think Belichick would let Brady going into 2018 with Wes Schweitzer blocking for him. I think Ryan has earned the right to that privilege as well.

Belichick would likely trade for someone if he thought it was too much. Being drafted in the 6th means little. What is Jarrett's ceiling? Thing is, its time to think like this. Is it better to have a rookie guarding Ryan, or a veteran? What was the main problem? The routes. 

Just now, Knight of God said:

Belichick would likely trade for someone if he thought it was too much. Being drafted in the 6th means little. What is Jarrett's ceiling? Thing is, its time to think like this. Is it better to have a rookie guarding Ryan, or a veteran? What was the main problem? The routes. 

Agree with most of this as well but Grady Jarrett showed promise his rookie year. Schweitzer was literally one of the worst guards in the NFL. I know he's a rookie, but it's a risk going into the season with him.

And with our coordinator woes, we'd have to make a risk on Sark being able to scheme around the issue or Wes drastically improving. Not saying I'm opposed to the idea, but I think I'd be a lot more comfortable with a vet blocking for Ryan.

1 minute ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Agree with most of this as well but Grady Jarrett showed promise his rookie year. Schweitzer was literally one of the worst guards in the NFL. I know he's a rookie, but it's a risk going into the season with him.

And with our coordinator woes, we'd have to make a risk on Sark being able to scheme around the issue or Wes drastically improving. Not saying I'm opposed to the idea, but I think I'd be a lot more comfortable with a vet blocking for Ryan.

I'm not saying go with Wes, we also drafted Harlow and traded for Sambrailo. I say we just sign Norwell, Pugh, Mewhort, Kline, Fulton, Cooper, Fleming, Hubbard, Robinson, Swanson, Jenson, or Long.

5 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

No there aren't alot of them

Unless you consider Wynn an elite top 15 player like Nelson then yes their is.  Wynn is right there talent wise as players like Price, Teller, Hernandez, Crosby, Daniels, Bozeman, Smith, Crosby, Ragnow and im sure im missing 1 guy are all in that early 2nd to early 3rd round range and very similar talent as Wynn is who is also in that early 2nd round to mid 2nd range.  He literally just now started moving up boards randomly from the 3rd round which is where most people had him until about a month or 2 ago.  Im not saying he isn't a very good player as i think he is but he's not some world beater thats way better than everyone else i just listed like Nelson probably is.

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

you do understand that you start TWO offensive guards at a time, right? that means you need TWO decent ones. 

Levitre + Wynn = 2.

Levitre + Schweizter = 1 

This is simple math, kiwi.   The nice thing about Levitre is you don't have to resign him and you don't have to commit to him past 2018.

1.Levitre

2.FA

Garland and Schwietzer is that not a solution to what your mentioning instead of blowing a 1st rounder on a G which very few teams do in this league.

Theres many ways to do this instead of just drafting a guy in the 1st round it's even the reason why there looking later rounds at G right now.

16 hours ago, g-dawg said:

replacing Poe w/ Payne or Vea is more horizontal move, at best, than replacing Schweitzer with Wynn.   Our defense was plenty good last year and if you take 2017 defense and marry it with 2016 offense then you would have a SB caliber team.   You absolutely cannot win a SB with that offense we had this past year.    What made us special in 2016 was the dominance of Matt Ryan and the confidence he had in his protection and his mastery of the offense.   We already know that Sark is staying and Shannahan is not coming back so that part of the equation is unchanged.

Further, it is not just pass protection.  The Falcons have a real problem on running situations short yardage and redzone.  Our underpowered interior offensive line ain't getting it done.   It is rather perplexing to me that Falcon fans such as yourself and Vandy and the like cannot see it.   I think it is all about the sexy factor w/ you guys.   No doubt it is much more sexy to take defenders than interior OLine - I get it.    Sexy is not what it's all about though.  We have sexy players already in spades.   We need meat grinders.

Replacing Vea Payne with Poe isn't a lateral move it will be a considered move most probably relating to cap and considering Vea has been compared to Haloti Ngata it's no more lateral than starting a rookie at G.

As for short yardage and running the rock I think you may find this team had zero issues running the rock against a vaunted Rams front and Sark basically called inside zone in that 2nd half and we ripped them to pieces.

To me it seems you want big boys who can do both things.I don't think we are as bad off as your making it out too be and like alot on here are just jaded for that SB win.

As for myself if we went into the season with the same guys and a FA to come in create competition upfront I'd be good with that.There are many ways and players we could get too make this team better not just that one position your trying to sell

15 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I'd be ecstatic too but then i would immediately divert my attention back to who might have been available on the LOS on either side of the ball.  It's really a matter of addressing areas of greatest need.  FA may net us one solid guy but in round 1 our biggest need will still be on the LOS on one side of the other.  

I hear you man but what say the LOS guy your after either side isn't there?

I don't take next best I go too another area of the team where there is still a talented guy and beef up that area that's what I mean when I say add playmakers.

Get more talent if the above isn't there look for the most talent it trumps everything hence why I looked in that WRer position.

While we have Julio there's not really anything in the cupboard after him hence why I future proof it with Kirk and he just happens to cover STs aswell and he upgrades that also.

35 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Falcons defense was top 10 in 2017 - that is more than respectable.

Maybe to folks like you, but certainly not to hardcore guys like me. We got pushed around way too much. 

I want (and I think Quinn wants) the best defense in football. We still have a long way to get there.