Draft Wynn and sign a FA G and the OL is solidified

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

We need to win with the SB being in Atlanta next year. Go ahead and take Wynn at 26 and either keep Levitre or get a FA. If we luck up the DT from Florida may slide to our second pick and I would take a long look at UGA DT Trent Thompson 

yeah, I like the plan.   You make a good point w/ SB being in Atlanta.   It really is a good time to try and load up and get back to the SuperBowl.   To me, when Julio breaks down and dimishes, then we don't really have near as much going to make us special on offense - because Matt is good but he is not special on his own.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Keeping  Levitre still leaves you with Schweitzer- so you are in same spot as last year.  You are not going to draft a 3rd or 4th round guard that comes in and starts.  Schweitzer + Garland + Harlow = Garbage 

Levitre is under contract for one more year at $7mm - which is too much but you bite the bullet and keep him without extending him.

Then you draft Isaiah Wynn in 1st round and look at Defense (DT/Edge/CB - BPA) in 2nd round and BPA (maybe WR) in 3rd rd.

Just be prepared as I know your going to lose your chit when the Falcons don't take your guy at 26.

I myself think we don't need studs at G for this offense to be successful.We do need improvement at that RG position but I don't like your all or nothing approach to doing it is all.

I can see many ways this off season to make this team better not the all eggs in one basket alot on here have when it comes to thinking there fixing the elephant in the room.

6 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Not at 8+M....:(

He's probably going to be looking at that and some we'd just have to stretch it out and make it into a team friendly deal.

All it means really is you lose a Reed Shelby or a Clayborn is what it really means.Which is redraftable or Takk and Crawford pickup the snaps with a drafted guy.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Just be prepared as I know your going to lose your chit when the Falcons don't take your guy at 26.

I myself think we don't need studs at G for this offense to be successful.We do need improvement at that RG position but I don't like your all or nothing approach to doing it is all.

I can see many ways this off season to make this team better not the all eggs in one basket alot on here have when it comes to thinking there fixing the elephant in the room.

replacing Poe w/ Payne or Vea is more horizontal move, at best, than replacing Schweitzer with Wynn.   Our defense was plenty good last year and if you take 2017 defense and marry it with 2016 offense then you would have a SB caliber team.   You absolutely cannot win a SB with that offense we had this past year.    What made us special in 2016 was the dominance of Matt Ryan and the confidence he had in his protection and his mastery of the offense.   We already know that Sark is staying and Shannahan is not coming back so that part of the equation is unchanged.

Further, it is not just pass protection.  The Falcons have a real problem on running situations short yardage and redzone.  Our underpowered interior offensive line ain't getting it done.   It is rather perplexing to me that Falcon fans such as yourself and Vandy and the like cannot see it.   I think it is all about the sexy factor w/ you guys.   No doubt it is much more sexy to take defenders than interior OLine - I get it.    Sexy is not what it's all about though.  We have sexy players already in spades.   We need meat grinders.

14 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

With the extensions of Ryan and Levitre that frees up a lot of cash to be able to get Poe done and add maybe WRer TE or G it just gives us more options.

Yeah then BPA in the draft is a real option.

I can't get past Christian Kirk he's my guy I don't care how we get him just get him on our team.

Dude, he's my favorite WR as well!  He'd instantly give us nasty in the return game too.  But we can't go WR early man!

24 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

He's probably going to be looking at that and some we'd just have to stretch it out and make it into a team friendly deal.

All it means really is you lose a Reed Shelby or a Clayborn is what it really means.Which is redraftable or Takk and Crawford pickup the snaps with a drafted guy.

His 2018 Cap Hit is 8.3M...

**MAN...Levitre has started EVERY game with the exception of the few he just missed....IMPRESSIVE!**  141 GAMES?  I didn't know that.

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Dude, he's my favorite WR as well!  He'd instantly give us nasty in the return game too.  But we can't go WR early man!

All depends on what they do in FA man you get Ryan extended and add a G and a TE resign Poe that opens up the draft in what direction we go man.

If he's there in that 2nd round I'd pull the trigger.

I got to find a way to get him on our team man.Hes an instant slot upgrade and has Outside potential to become your number 2.PR/KR it means Roberts and Gabriel's cap hits are gone and we can spend it somewhere else and his talent surpasses Hall Williams and Hardy.

Eventual replacement for Sanu I can't see a lose scenario drafting this guy.

With the 26th pick in the draft the Atlanta Falcons select Christian Kirk Texas A & M.

Id be the only one celebrating on here lol.

7 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

His 2018 Cap Hit is 8.3M...

**MAN...Levitre has started EVERY game with the exception of the few he just missed....IMPRESSIVE!**  141 GAMES?  I didn't know that.

I pretty much think they'll keep Levitre he's good man I don't care what anyone says it's just dependent on how much he has left in the tank to go again.

28 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

replacing Poe w/ Payne or Vea is more horizontal move, at best, than replacing Schweitzer with Wynn.   Our defense was plenty good last year and if you take 2017 defense and marry it with 2016 offense then you would have a SB caliber team.   You absolutely cannot win a SB with that offense we had this past year.    What made us special in 2016 was the dominance of Matt Ryan and the confidence he had in his protection and his mastery of the offense.   We already know that Sark is staying and Shannahan is not coming back so that part of the equation is unchanged.

Further, it is not just pass protection.  The Falcons have a real problem on running situations short yardage and redzone.  Our underpowered interior offensive line ain't getting it done.   It is rather perplexing to me that Falcon fans such as yourself and Vandy and the like cannot see it.   I think it is all about the sexy factor w/ you guys.   No doubt it is much more sexy to take defenders than interior OLine - I get it.    Sexy is not what it's all about though.  We have sexy players already in spades.   We need meat grinders.

People were still down on Chester last year to man.

A good point for the 2016 offense is that it over achieved and alot expected something similar this year.To me realistically when you take into consideration ALL the issues above mentioned this offense only really to score maybe another 3-4 points to get it over the top in that 25-27 point range and I thought we'd have a good a shot as anybody.

I don't need to see stellar G play for that to happen improvement helps for sure.I also think the powers that be will look closely into where this team needs to improve and as I suggested it won't be just in our G play they'll be looking.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

All depends on what they do in FA man you get Ryan extended and add a G and a TE resign Poe that opens up the draft in what direction we go man.

If he's there in that 2nd round I'd pull the trigger.

I got to find a way to get him on our team man.Hes an instant slot upgrade and has Outside potential to become your number 2.PR/KR it means Roberts and Gabriel's cap hits are gone and we can spend it somewhere else and his talent surpasses Hall Williams and Hardy.

Eventual replacement for Sanu I can't see a lose scenario drafting this guy.

With the 26th pick in the draft the Atlanta Falcons select Christian Kirk Texas A & M.

Id be the only one celebrating on here lol.

I'd be ecstatic too but then i would immediately divert my attention back to who might have been available on the LOS on either side of the ball.  It's really a matter of addressing areas of greatest need.  FA may net us one solid guy but in round 1 our biggest need will still be on the LOS on one side of the other.  

1 hour ago, delaigle said:

I have not read all of these posts--- but I did not see any one mention that Schraeder and/or Pasztor MUST be re-signed  or the only RT would be moving Sambrailo from LT to RT

RIGHT NOW

Matthews  Sambrailo Brunskill;

Levitre {Garland}  Harlow

MACK

Schweitzer  Douglas

NO RT   under contract

Schraeder is already resigned for a very long time.  He just did a new contract last year  he will next be a Fa in 2022

Contract Terms: 5 yr(s) / $31,500,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary$6,300,000 GTD at Sign:$7,500,000 Total GTD:$12,500,000 Free Agent:2022 / UFA
2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Kiwi, myself, and the many others in here who disagree with you see it just fine, We just have a slightly different approach than yours. 

You’re way too fixated on one guy, IMO, as if we don’t draft Isaiah Wynn in Rd 1 all is lost. There are other options out there to improve at that position. 

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Kiwi, myself, and the many others in here who disagree with you see it just fine, We just have a slightly different approach than yours. 

You’re way too fixated on one guy, IMO, as if we don’t draft Isaiah Wynn in Rd 1 all is lost. There are other options out there to improve at that position. 

honestly even though i like Wynn i think it would be a worse move to draft a OG in round 1 as thats not right the value is for OG at all.  Their are OG's just as good if not better than Wynn in round 2 and alot of them.  I would say their are atleast 8 or 9 OG's that could go round 2 or early 3rd and thats exactly where we should be targeting one at this year.  While going BPA at a different position of need in round 1.

7 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

honestly even though i like Wynn i think it would be a worse move to draft a OG in round 1 as thats not right the value is for OG at all.  Their are OG's just as good if not better than Wynn in round 2 and alot of them.  I would say their are atleast 8 or 9 OG's that could go round 2 or early 3rd and thats exactly where we should be targeting one at this year.  While going BPA at a different position of need in round 1.

No there aren't alot of them

18 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

With the extensions of Ryan and Levitre that frees up a lot of cash to be able to get Poe done and add maybe WRer TE or G it just gives us more options.

Yeah then BPA in the draft is a real option.

I can't get past Christian Kirk he's my guy I don't care how we get him just get him on our team.

We have to replace Schweitzer. He's OKAY depth, but he's not a starting caliber guard.

28 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Pretty much My thinking as well. I think we will need to address DL before OL, because we are gonna lose a good player there, be it Poe, Clay, Shelby/upshaw, Reed at al...in fact, high likelihood we lose two of them. 

Wynn looks to be one of the better OL in this year’s draft, so I disagree there will be available as good prospects there at bottom rd 2 than he is. But to your point, there will be better ones there than what we have right now.

4 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

We need to win with the SB being in Atlanta next year. Go ahead and take Wynn at 26 and either keep Levitre or get a FA. If we luck up the DT from Florida may slide to our second pick and I would take a long look at UGA DT Trent Thompson 

Draft two UGA players, there is a new concept haha.

45 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

We have to replace Schweitzer. He's OKAY depth, but he's not a starting caliber guard.

Man all I’m hoping for is more competition at that position and at the LG spot.Thats how we get better internally.As above I’m not fixated like a few are and in my eyes my guy Kirk helps the team as much as any pick we make.

1 hour ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Then the draft isn't the place to look. I'm sure we will, but it really sin't. At this point we need to get a FA guard and focus on developing Harlow and Schweitzer. Wes wasn't as bad as people here were crying.