WWE's Vince McMahon looks to start professional football league

Sidecar Falcon

Is it time for the return of the XFL?

WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon is set to announce that he will make another attempt at starting a professional football league, sources told ESPN.

Alpha Entertainment, a company that McMahon formed, issued a media advisory Thursday saying that McMahon would have a "major sports announcement" on Thursday afternoon.

Last month WWE filed paperwork with the Securities and Exchange Commission stating that McMahon would sell about $100 million in stock to fund Alpha Entertainment, a company founded to make investments "including professional football."

It is not clear whether McMahon will use the name XFL, the ill-fated football league he co-owned with NBC that lasted only one season in 2001, but Alpha has filed trademarks for that name.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22211134/wwe-vince-mcmahon-try-launch-professional-football-league

Given the current state of the NFL, this may not be that bad of a move. Time will tell. Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't see it surviving for that long. That's if it ever gets off the ground to begin with.

Too much going on with football in it's current state. The whole CTE/concussion stuff, all-time awful officiating, very confusing rules and rule changes have made it difficult to even fully enjoy today's football products.

Vince will be fighting an even more uphill battle than the first time.

18 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Don't see it surviving for that long. That's if it ever gets off the ground to begin with.

Too much going on with football in it's current state. The whole CTE/concussion stuff, all-time awful officiating, very confusing rules and rule changes have made it difficult to even fully enjoy today's football products.

Vince will be fighting an even more uphill battle than the first time.

Good points.  What if it was a non-pads 7 on 7 type league?  Would that attract an audience? 

46 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Is it time for the return of the XFL?

WWE founder and chairman Vince McMahon is set to announce that he will make another attempt at starting a professional football league, sources told ESPN.

Alpha Entertainment, a company that McMahon formed, issued a media advisory Thursday saying that McMahon would have a "major sports announcement" on Thursday afternoon.

Last month WWE filed paperwork with the Securities and Exchange Commission stating that McMahon would sell about $100 million in stock to fund Alpha Entertainment, a company founded to make investments "including professional football."

It is not clear whether McMahon will use the name XFL, the ill-fated football league he co-owned with NBC that lasted only one season in 2001, but Alpha has filed trademarks for that name.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22211134/wwe-vince-mcmahon-try-launch-professional-football-league

Given the current state of the NFL, this may not be that bad of a move. Time will tell. Thoughts?

Whatever

6 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

Good points.  What if it was a non-pads 7 on 7 type league?  Would that attract an audience? 

To be honest, I'm not sure if that would be an answer for football's current problems.

Can't go padless unless it's a flag or touch league because many football critics will attack that quicker than flies on a turd.

If you go flag or touch football league, then you could lose many loyal fans of the sport that is violent in nature.

It's really hard to say how to fix football's current problems for player safety. The only thing I can think of is if there is a huge breakthrough in technology advancements in regards helmet protection with brain trama.

9 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

Was just trying to think of something for football like Ice Cube's Big3 league, a 3 on 3 half court league with other twists on the game.  Draws crowds and has a FS1 tv package...

It would be cool to have something like that for football. It's just that the whole player safety stuff with brain trama is badly affecting the sport.

Would love for a real semi-pro football league to flourish along with a long-term answer for brain trama prevention.

Be cool , if they put those wrestling ropes around the playing feild , you can bounce off of or use for contact tackles , and entering into the game , its ok to flip over them .  Bring back clotheslines , Steve Austin stunners and rock bottoms are all legal means of tackling , surprise or trick plays can involve wearing masks    managers or valets ,  Honestly , I cant see it competeing the way the NFL is played , if you do it , do it like you do it McMahon   ,  make it a show , make it NFLE,  **** , I might even watch that. 

1 hour ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

It would be cool to have something like that for football. It's just that the whole player safety stuff with brain trama is badly affecting the sport.

Would love for a real semi-pro football league to flourish along with a long-term answer for brain trama prevention.

Should go back to leather helmets. lol. Nobody's going to be stupid enough to launch themselves headfirst into another player's head with just 1/8" inch of padding to protect their own skull.

Also I think a new league could immediately gain huge ground on the NFL by not having any officials on the field. Except for one guy whose only power will be to call a time out.

Then you let the players police the game themselves. If/when things get out of hand and the blows begin, the ref calls a two-minute time-out. Players catch their breath, staunch the bleeding, then it's back to football.

I think the recent NFL ratings have shown there’s a thing as too much football.

The XFL didn’t work before there was smart phones,  social media and a million things streaming on the internet.

Its not going to work now unless it’s regional for states that don’t have pro teams or big college programs.... like Connecticut, the Dakotas, And Wyoming.

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

BRING BACK THE XFL!!

I miss those sleazy cheerleadersRelated image

Wrestling lost a ton of fans since it's transition to be more PG. Would love to see VM go the opposite route here and just say no to all the PC junk. 

Sex sells. Always has, always will.

I remember the cheerleaders if you could call them that. They were a different uhhhh type of cheerleaders than we see today.

I'm all for this new league just for this fact alone! They were skanks and they played it to the hilt. I had a lot fond nights after watching the XFL as young man.