theProf

Falcons show keen interest in Appalachian State guard Colby Gossett

47 posts in this topic

Falcons show keen interest in Appalachian State guard Colby Gossett

That’s two names we’ve heard the Falcons linked to thus far.

By Dave Choate Jan 24, 2018,

Atlanta comes into the 2018 season with three true guards on the roster. Ben Garland is a free agent, so that leaves Andy Levitre, Wes Schweitzer, and Sean Harlow duking it out over three spots. If the Falcons stand pat, that is, and they probably won’t.

That’s because Atlanta’s showing early interest in guards. Yesterday Charles McDonald noted the Falcons appeared to be paying attention to Georgia tackle Isaiah Wynn, who is widely expected to kick inside, and it was noted late last night that a Falcons scout was showing particular interest in Colby Gossett, a guard from Appalachian State.

Gossett is a big fellow (6’6”, 311), a graduating senior, and a quality athlete who has four starting seasons under his belt at guard and fared well in both pass protection and as a run blocker. He’s not playing for a little anonymous program, either, as Appalachian State has been one of the titans of the FBS for a long time. Gossett checks all the boxes for Atlanta (senior, scheme fit, extensive starting experience), so it’s little surprise they’re interested.

The big question is where he’ll be drafted. Right now, the sweet spot for Gossett seems like it’ll be late on Day 2 or early on Day 3, putting him in the 3rd-4th round range if Atlanta wants him.

Atlanta Falcons scout having long conversation with Appalachian State OG Colby Gossett. #SeniorBowl

The big question looming over any draft pick is where they’ll play, of course. The Falcons could simply try to shore up their depth after leaving Harlow inactive all year, or they could actively try to replace one of their starting guards. Levitre is getting older, remains expensive, and is coming off a triceps injury that ended his 2017 season, while Schweitzer cashed in an uninspiring but mostly solid 18 start season. A Day 1 or even Day 2 guard could conceivably start for either one, depending on which one the Falcons need to move on from more urgently. I’d have to think Gossett would be in contention for a starting job day one, as would Wynn.

With the top three tackles on the roster more or less set at the moment, in-house guard depth to draw on, and Alex Mack at center, the only remaining hole on the offensive line outside of guard would seem to be backup center. We’ll see what the Falcons do to address that by April, too, I’d wager.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/1/24/16927212/falcons-show-keen-interest-in-appalachian-state-guard-colby-gossett

8 minutes ago, Falcon Blitz said:

Met him a couple of times he grew up here in Forsyth county went to North Forsyth pulling for him loves football and I believe he was a Falcons Fan growing up pretty cool.

6’6” 310....checks a lot of boxes for us. I think he would start day 1. 

Slappywhite and FalconJim like this

45 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

I'm glad they are looking to solidify the trenches. Now let's get that Dt and build on that front 7.

I'm betting on the 1st rounder being exactly that and if we are eyeballing who I think we are then even better...

Slappywhite and Ergo Proxy like this

I'd like to give the guy a chance but why is he playing RG for App State? Historically, just about all the small school NFL interior linemen played tackle in college. 

33 minutes ago, capologist said:

I'm betting on the 1st rounder being exactly that and if we are eyeballing who I think we are then even better...

True 

41 minutes ago, capologist said:

Who ?

2 hours ago, RazorWing said:

I'm glad they are looking to solidify the trenches. Now let's get that Dt and build on that front 7.

Me too buddy .  I think this will be a very unsexy draft , and it needs to be , we have skill players , we need the big-uglys . 

2 hours ago, RazorWing said:

Nope , Nope, and NOPE !  He would be fine for depth and backup, but we need an experienced Guard from FA.  We can't expect for improvement next season with a rookie Guard, We have tried that already, and Ryan rarely had time to go through his progressions. That was a Major reason for the offensive dropoff, not the only reason, but a  MAJOR reason. 

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Cool, if they see him as a fit get it done.

1- best DT

2- Wynn

3- Gossett

4- celebrate!

Man if Wynn makes it to our 2nd I hope we run to the podium. Only Bulldog I hope we can realistically get our hands on

2 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

Liked what I saw. Also, man their QB is wet trash lmao

Lol, that was my exact same thought.  I liked the way he moves for a big fella, but I kept coming back to how bad the QB looks.

1 hour ago, HMFIC said:

Nope , Nope, and NOPE !  He would be fine for depth and backup, but we need an experienced Guard from FA.  We can't expect for improvement next season with a rookie Guard, We have tried that already, and Ryan rarely had time to go through his progressions. That was a Major reason for the offensive dropoff, not the only reason, but a  MAJOR reason. 

I'll be cool with a fa guard too. That would we better

He would be a nice mid round pickup but I don't know if he will be an upgrade over what we presently have. Since we won't get Quentin Martin I. Wynn is our guy to upgrade position. In fact Auburn Braden Smith would be a better choice then the APP STATE guy. But HE loves to skate around home state talent.

Sign a solid/good G in FA. Nothing bank breaking if you can avoid it but be prepared to spend the $$ so Alex Mack can breath a little, and who is an instant starter who could hold his own. Then draft a stud in the second round who could by all means start day one if he has to. This pushes the current guys we drafted down to depth rolls and gives us an option for Levetrie's (sp) future.

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

If you draft Gossett, no need for Wynn. One or the other.

I think draft is deeper at DT talent than OG talent, so I'd prefer Price or Wynn at #26 and DT in 2nd round or 3rd round...Ive seen Wynn in all three SB practices and he has looked real good. His tape is solid. He sets well, quick feet, I think he is plug and play with "back-up versatility" which adds to his value.

But then I think, how much better is Wynn than Gossett over say Da'Rone Payne or Harrison Phillips over BJ Price or Justin Jones? And which is needed more?

Our draft is highly dependant on what we decide to do with Dontari Poe

1 minute ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I think draft is deeper at DT talent than OG talent, so I'd prefer Price or Wynn at #26 and DT in 2nd round or 3rd round...Ive seen Wynn in all three SB practices and he has looked real good. His tape is solid. He sets well, quick feet, I think he is plug and play with "back-up versatility" which adds to his value.

But then I think, how much better is Wynn than Gossett over say Da'Rone Payne or Harrison Phillips over BJ Price or Justin Jones? And which is needed more?

Our draft is highly dependant on what we decide to do with Dontari Poe

Its not as deep as people think. Never is. I just wish we weren't in this spot. I don't think OG fixes all our problems, but whatever.