the "Current" LB corp

delaigle

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know a ILB i wouldn't be against in FA that would give us tremendous run defense up the middle and can still blitz a bit and is very good sideline to sideline is Zach Brown.  If you could pair him with Debo at WLB which is almost like a ILB that can cover in our scheme.  Then move Campbell full time to SLB instead of having him at DE and WLb at times.  I think our Lb group would be awesome with that setup of guys while having Ish, Reynolds, and Duke as depth.

Since we are in Nickel 60+ percent of the time, we really need depth and someone to push Duke. I wouldn’t put a top round pick or big FA money at it. Duke looked a lot better in the last few games, and since he missed so much time it is hard to say if the game finally slowed down for him. His athleticism is right on par with DeBo and Campbell, which could be scary if he figures it all out.

We want DeBo and Campbell on the field every minute they can be. They are both pro bowl caliber backers.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:59 PM, kiwifalcon said:

I'm getting disappointed with everybody saying add depth.

**** I understand we can't add talent to replace everybody but I'm over the word depth infact I'm going to refuse to use that word.

The guys whoever we add should be able to come in here and put pressure on starters that's the guy's I'm looking for.

Depth can be exactly that sit on the pine bag groceries whatever I hate that word.

Depth wins super bowls man. You can’t draft rounds 3 and later and ‘expect’ starters, especially on a super bowl roster.

you draft those guys hoping they can develop into starters though.

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Depth wins super bowls man. You can’t draft rounds 3 and later and ‘expect’ starters, especially on a super bowl roster.

You most certainly do expect eventual starters in rounds 3-4....and later. Otherwise, you go backwards because of players leaving for free agency/cap reasons.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:31 PM, insertnamehere said:

Lol, ya'll are funny because the reason why Rico was put in as a safety in the first place was because we were pretty much forced to. He was a CB taking on a new position with nobody to learn from as a backup.

You don't think that maybe he was put at safety because he busted his *** on the field and off as far as studying and learning the defense , from what I understand , he calls most of the plays for the defense , and is always looking to improve  his game physically and mentally ,  not a harder worker on the team .  Him and Alford neither are trash . 

On 1/24/2018 at 1:52 PM, AndySG said:

Should have kept Jermaine Grace. Spoon was a stupid signing and didn't do anything. Lost a promising depth piece. 

Yea that was a lateral move that blew up in our face. Could have brought in spoon and cut stupid goodwin.

On 1/24/2018 at 4:22 PM, Falcon Ben said:

I don't get the perceived need to use a high-round pick on a 'backer. 

Debo and Campbell are legit, and between Duke/Reynolds/Ish/mid-tier FA, we should be set. 

How often do we even have three LBs on the field?

Quinn is a LB type of guy. They are the meat of your defense and make great special teamers. I can GUARANTEE you we will draft a LB somewhere between the 2nd and 5th round. And he'll likely be excellent, cause more than anything DQ has an eye for LB talent.

fwiw I think Riley will be fine. He just needed more time than Debo or Campbell.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

You most certainly do expect eventual starters in rounds 3-4....and later. Otherwise, you go backwards because of players leaving for free agency/cap reasons.

I said develop into starters, same thing as eventual starters isn’t it?

my point is that teams with strong rosters don’t look at those players as immediate starters, generally speaking

well aware of the draft implications on salary cap. ;)

4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Competition man if your drafting a guy to come in and sit I wouldn't draft him.

A good example of this will be at WRer this year if we draft a guy I expect him to come in and put pressure on Gabriel Hall Hardy and Williams for that #3 spot who will get a fair share of snaps this year.

Even when they drafted Schwietzer it was reported he was putting pressure on Chester to start the thats the sought of thing I mean.

That D word is a dirty word in my books.I want to draft or bring guy's in who can force the guy there to have to play better to keep his spot there in rising the level across the board with competition not just come in and accept your playing behind a guy.

I wouldn't mind going out and getting Connor Barwin to play Sam. That'd kind of be peace of mind to guys like Campbell and Reynolds who would be able to focus more on coverage and filling gaps rather than rushing the passer and setting the edge in the run game.

11 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

A good example of this will be at WRer this year if we draft a guy I expect him to come in and put pressure on Gabriel Hall Hardy and Williams for that #3 spot who will get a fair share of snaps this year.

Even when they drafted Schwietzer it was reported he was putting pressure on Chester to start the thats the sought of thing I mean.

That D word is a dirty word in my books.I want to draft or bring guy's in who can force the guy there to have to play better to keep his spot there in rising the level across the board with competition not just come in and accept your playing behind a guy.

Exactly , dont think we draft anyone who's content with sitting on the pine ,  draft hungry

On 1/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, AndySG said:

Should have kept Jermaine Grace. Spoon was a stupid signing and didn't do anything. Lost a promising depth piece. 

For real, that was a real dumb move by Quinn. I liked Grace a lot. 

has anyone stolen more falcon money in their history than spoon has? Never understood why this board overrates him so.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

has anyone stolen more falcon money in their history than spoon has? Never understood why this board overrates him so.

Once upon a time he was the prototypical linebacker.

Injuries robbed him of what should have been an all pro career.

21 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Once upon a time he was the prototypical linebacker.

Injuries robbed him of what should have been an all pro career.

Maybe, but there's literally Thousands of ex-athletes who are in that ‘coulda been’ category. It’s past time we quit throwing money at him. IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Maybe, but there's literally Thousands of ex-athletes who are in that ‘coulda been’ category. It’s past time we quit throwing money at him. IMO. 

True...but he signed for the vet minimum ...at this point his value is in the locker room...he is one of those guys who makes the position group room better just because of his personality.

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

True...but he signed for the vet minimum ...at this point his value is in the locker room...he is one of those guys who makes the position group room better just because of his personality.

If you say so. He still took a young developmental player’s spot who I liked a lot that we lost because of that. If he’s that valuable in locker room hire him as some sort of consultant/coach.

Dwight Freeney at least produced on the field. 

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

Steven Jackson, Mike Vick, Peerless Price, Ray Edwards, Ed Hartwell and Sam Baker all come to mind.

On 1/27/2018 at 0:48 PM, kiwifalcon said:

Not sure we are very far apart, just how it’s being said. When you have guys that can challenge for a job, you have good depth. If you don’t have anyone good enough to push the incumbent starter, you have crappy depth. 

That said, if we draft a center they simply aren’t taking Mack’s job (for example) but you still need someone there Incase he goes down. That’s were depth matters.