the "Current" LB corp

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, vel said:

I think they'll add somebody with some upside, but not a priority. Duke was drafted for a reason. They aren't spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a LB, so I doubt they use back to back to back top 100 picks on LBs (Debo, Duke, top 100 this year). 

Our LBs aren't a problem. Neal is basically a quasi LB. I expect Duke to improve as he looked better after he came back than early on. I'd rather sign some cheap depth and use the picks elsewhere.

I mean it would've been hard to look worst.

But I agree I don't think they draft a LB in the top 75 I just don't feel comfortable living or dying by the Duke. We all seen the impact of having a weak link in the LB core early on in the season.

2 hours ago, Jerz said:

I mean it would've been hard to look worst.

But I agree I don't think they draft a LB in the top 75 I just don't feel comfortable living or dying by the Duke. We all seen the impact of having a weak link in the LB core early on in the season.

I don't know what it is with some of the people in this fan base and the lack of patience when it comes to a rookie lol. Especially one that was drafted in the 3rd round. Everyone isn't going to come in and knock it out the park like Debo and Julio. Now if there is no improvement in Duke's second year then by all means speak on his incompetence.

Edited by insertnamehere
19 hours ago, Falcon Ben said:

I don't get the perceived need to use a high-round pick on a 'backer. 

Debo and Campbell are legit, and between Duke/Reynolds/Ish/mid-tier FA, we should be set. 

How often do we even have three LBs on the field?

Yep. 

Unless the value is so great that you can't resist (Roquan Smith?), you're filling back of roster depth at LB. I'd rather us look to Day 3 of the draft or FA to fill that depth out. 

1 hour ago, insertnamehere said:

I don't know what it is with some of the people in this fan base and the lack of patience when it comes to a rookie lol. Especially one that was drafted in the 3rd round. Everyone isn't going to come in and knock it out the park like Debo and Julio. Now if there is no improvement in Duke's second year then by all means speak on his incompetence.

Patience isn’t going to be garnered for just any and every player. Theres a huge discrepency from knocking it out like Debo and being trash. I don’t know why this fanbase is so content with below average D rated players. 

1 minute ago, Jerz said:

Patience isn’t going to be garnered for just any and every player. Theres a huge discrepency from knocking it out like Debo and being trash. I don’t know why this fanbase is so content with below average D rated players. 

Patience can't be garnered for a rookie? Who wasn't even selected in the first two rounds? Let me ask you this? Rico Allen was a UDFA who had his fair share of growing pains too right? Was Robert Alford praised for his skills in his first two or three years here? Or were we complaining about him and his routinely penalties? I remember people calling for Tevin to start over Devonta as soon as he was drafted, when Free only had 1 season under his belt. Riddle me this. Which of the two runningbacks is the 2x Pro-Bowler? And only one of them being voted into the pro-bowl has nothing to do with split carries because Kamara and Ingram are both in Orlando right now. Ya'll obviously forget that some rookie players need......time to grow. The logic that a rookie will be trash for seasons to come because he struggled in his first year in the league is dumb. At least give these boys two seasons.

6 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Patience can't be garnered for a rookie? Who wasn't even selected in the first two rounds? Let me ask you this? Rico Allen was a UDFA who had his fair share of growing pains too right? Was Robert Alford praised for his skills in his first two or three years here? Or were we complaining about him and his routinely penalties? I remember people calling for Tevin to start over Devonta as soon as he was drafted, when Free only had 1 season under his belt. Riddle me this. Which of the two runningbacks is the 2x Pro-Bowler? And only one of them being voted into the pro-bowl has nothing to do with split carries because Kamara and Ingram are both in Orlando right now. Ya'll obviously forget that some rookie players need......time to grow. The logic that a rookie will be trash for seasons to come because he struggled in his first year in the league is dumb. At least give these boys two seasons.

Ricardo Allen was drafted in the 5th round 2014 NFL Draft 

13 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

All of those are horrible examples as Rico was a 5th rounder and Alford was much better compared to Duke in their first seasons. I’m not screaming for Duke to be cut I have hope for him to be a more productive contributor to the team. I just don’t think he is anywhere close to being a capable starter on this defense yet. I’d rather go a different route at ILB than wait around for Duke. 

Edited by Jerz

The difference with Duke and guys like Alford and Deion Jones is that while Alford and Deion Jones might have had some bad moments in their rookies seasons, they had really good moments where you could really see their potential.  There wasn't a single moment with Duke this season where I said "Oh, wow, Ok, now I can see what he might be capable of".  He just looked like a guy with bad instincts and worst tackling skills.

I respect that some people see something different.  I didn't see it though.

2 minutes ago, Jerz said:

All of those are horrible examples as Rico was a 5th rounder and Alford was much better compared to Duke in their first seasons. I’m not screaming for Duke to be cut I have hope for him to be a more productive contributor to the team. I just don’t think he is anywhere close to being a capable starter on this defense yet. I’d rather go a different route at ILB than wait around for Duke. 

No, there isn't a difference. Alford and Rico were both trash.Fans were at both of these guys' head because they were both incompetent earlier on. There are no levels to trash. Either you can play your position well or you can't. Both struggled, but with time, both found their footing and they are now two of our best DBs. I know what I'm saying isn't hard for ya'll to grasp. Ya'll just tap dancing around common sense due to your biased views. Here's one truth, Duke was bad this year. Here's another truth, history has shown that some players come into their own with time and reps and some don't. However, that can't be predicted after only one season in the league.

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

The difference with Duke and guys like Alford and Deion Jones is that while Alford and Deion Jones might have had some bad moments in their rookies seasons, they had really good moments where you could really see their potential.  There wasn't a single moment with Duke this season where I said "Oh, wow, Ok, now I can see what he might be capable of".  He just looked like a guy with bad instincts and worst tackling skills.

Exactly. Having patience with Duke would be no problem if we have a temporary capable starter and he’s learning in a backup role.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I'm not saying you're wrong and while what you're saying might be true, are you really going to say that fans didn't at some point call for Alford's and Allen's replacements? It was because they weren't consistent in their play. Alford had sooooo many costly penalties in his first few years him. Fans wanted him replaced. Now, fans favor him over Tru and rightfully so.

12 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

No, there isn't a difference. Alford and Rico were both trash.Fans were at both of these guys' head because they were both incompetent earlier on. There are no levels to trash. Either you can play your position well or you can't. Both struggled, but with time, both found their footing and they are now two of our best DBs. I know what I'm saying isn't hard for ya'll to grasp. Ya'll just tap dancing around common sense due to your biased views. Here's one truth, Duke was bad this year. Here's another truth, history has shown that some players come into their own with time and reps and some don't. However, that can't be predicted after only one season in the league.

Alford was definitely not trash as a rookie. Either you have no eye for talent at all or your memory is horrible. You brush over everything with a vageness that is frustrating. There’s levels to this.

Edited by Jerz
1 minute ago, Jerz said:

Exactly. Having patience with Duke would be no problem if we have a temporary capable starter and he’s learning in a backup role.

Lol, ya'll are funny because the reason why Rico was put in as a safety in the first place was because we were pretty much forced to. He was a CB taking on a new position with nobody to learn from as a backup.

1 minute ago, insertnamehere said:

No, there isn't a difference. Alford and Rico were both trash.

That's just not true.  Alford never had his snaps dramatically reduced because he failed to compete. 

In fact, Robert Alford played his way into a starting role in his rookie season, taking McClain's role.

Duke played his way out of a starting role.

Completely the opposite.

2 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Alford wasn't trash? Lol, ya'll selective memory, boy I tell you.

Alford was raw definitely not trash. His speed and athleticism was displayed nicely for those who have eyes and he made big plays during his rookie season.

You can’t say for a fact of how I felt about Alford. I promise.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

That's just not true.  Alford never had his snaps dramatically reduced because he failed to compete. 

In fact, Robert Alford played his way into a starting role in his rookie season, taking McClain's role.

Duke played his way out of a starting role.

Completely the opposite.

Listen........tomato tomahto, potato potahto. Alford is 10xs better a player now that he was in his first few years. True or False? Rico is a better player now than he was during his first few years here. True or False? Some players take time to develop. True or False? But, ya'll got it. I'm not about to go back and forth because it's not that serious lol. Duke is trash and will forever be trash with no hope of improving after just playing one year in the league. Same with other rookies who struggle in their first year as well.