Sounds like DQ likes GA Guard Isaiah Wynn

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Larry just posted what you were too scared to post. And again it shows you don't know what you're talking about. And show me where I called you a name? Or does Larry have to do that for you too? Lol

Dude I replied to Larry on all the exceptions before he even posted link. Let adults discuss. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, osiruz said:

These are public threads open to any poster, if you want to be exclusive you can get privacy with your TATF bf elsewhere. Also if you feel threatened with your stupid egoist opinion go take it up with DQ and not me. He is the one actively scouting college RGs while you seem to think we are fine.

Huh? 

You are strange lol

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

I highly doubt Justin Pugh is getting 7-9M coming back from Injury. The OG Players appear to get better with experience. There are lot of OG UDFA and selected in later rounds performing at high level with experience compared to very few first round picks. This is one of the reasons, Falcons can sign an experience OG as insurance policy, while developing the bench. Levitre, assuming he is healthy enough to come back next year, will be gone in 2019. Draft a OG in 2-3rd round in 2018 who can take his spot in 2019. 

In any case the first round OG who played well in first year right after the draft is an exception.  In last few years, only guys like David Decastro, Kyle Long and Zach Martin are an exception. The last team to move up and select a guard was 49ers in 2016, they move up to 28 from 37 giving up 2,4 and 6 round picks to select Josh Garnet. Josh garnet is not even a starter going in to 2018 season. 

I hope Falcons pick BPA in first round with out trading up especially for an OG. 

If he stays at LG and enters the FA market, the only way he's staying under $7m per is if he has no market and is forced to take a one year prove it deal OR decides to gamble on a one year. But if he has any sort of substantive market, he's probably looking at $7m+. Luke Joekel got $8m on a one year and I'm pretty confident Pugh is more highly regarded than Joekel was. 

I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if he didnt have a fairly demanding market. 

As for Josh Garnett, I'm not sure how you can say he's not even a starter going into 2018 given that he started the majority of his rookie year then spent all of 2017 on IR. Given the chance in FO/coaching staff and the injury, I'd be hesitant to draw any conclusions about his ability as a player. 

And I agree, I don't want the Falcons trading up for a guard. I dont really want the team to trade up for anything. I'd rather they look to drop back a bit. But unfortunately thats not our call. 

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Worked well for Dallas too....1st round G and 1st round Center in consecutive drafts turning a questionable OL into the best OL in the league for 3 seasons. 

Washington took a guard in the Top 10 three seasons ago....and he's played very well. 

Saints took a guard in the Top 15...worked well for them. 

Yall need to work on isolating the signal from the noise. 

Ok. That is saying what? Other than the Saints finally this year after how many 7-9 seasons how well have these three teams fared in the last few years?

i guess youll say the cowboys were great this year. Notice that awesome OL without Zeneca in the backfield made Clayborn look like Reggie White

And, since you jumped in the middle of the conversation, does this mean Wynnhas catulpulted into the first round? 

For the record if we draft him, I trust in the staff they’ve put together a pretty solid roster.

since we’re isolating signal from noise, are you assuming that Wes didn’t simply have a rough first year starting? How about Harlow? 

Truth is none of us have a remote clue what they’re looking at right now. Lots of noise for a bit

Just now, falcons007 said:

Also, the draft finder in Pro-footbll reference excludes the UDFA OG. There are high number of multi yer starters at OG who were underfed, some of them probowlers and all pro. 

The best guards in the league were drafted in the first three rounds. DeCastro, Martin, Yanda, Jackson, Trai Turner, Kyle Long, Kevin Zeitler, Keleche Osemele. 

I'm sure there are quality UDFA Gs. And if we were to find a good+ UDFA guard, that would be terrific. But thats not how you plan on fixing holes. Thats where you find windfall value. 

Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If he stays at LG and enters the FA market, the only way he's staying under $7m per is if he has no market and is forced to take a one year prove it deal OR decides to gamble on a one year. But if he has any sort of substantive market, he's probably looking at $7m+. Luke Joekel got $8m on a one year and I'm pretty confident Pugh is more highly regarded than Joekel was. 

I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if he didnt have a fairly demanding market. 

As for Josh Garnett, I'm not sure how you can say he's not even a starter going into 2018 given that he started the majority of his rookie year then spent all of 2017 on IR. Given the chance in FO/coaching staff and the injury, I'd be hesitant to draw any conclusions about his ability as a player. 

And I agree, I don't want the Falcons trading up for a guard. I dont really want the team to trade up for anything. I'd rather they look to drop back a bit. But unfortunately thats not our call. 

Josh Garnett struggled big time in 2016. I have seen reports coming out of the 49ers that they are not high on him and wants to sign a FA OG and draft another one. Like I said Zack Martin, David Decastro, Kyle Long are exception. 

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

Ok. That is saying what? Other than the Saints how many have sniffed a playoff win in the last few years?

And, since you jumped in the middle of the conversation, does this mean Wynnhas catulpulted into the first round? 

For the record if we draft him, I trust in the staff they’ve put together a pretty solid roster.

since we’re isolating signal from noise, are you assuming that Wes didn’t simply have a rough first year starting? How about Harlow? 

Truth is none of us have a remote clue what they’re looking at right now. Lots of noise for a bit

I'm not speaking to any specific prospect which we may or may not be looking at. I'm merely pushing back against the mistaken notion that guards cant/shouldnt be drafted highly or in the 1st. 

As for the team's success being used as a metric for the performance of an individual offensive line player, well thats obviously silly. But since you asked, The Cowboys won a playoff game the season they drafted Martin and were a controversial call away from a championship game appearance. Two years later they lost a close game to a Top 5 all time QB....because their coach is mediocre and their defense isnt very good. 

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

As you know, TAFT offseason always get :ninja: weird my man. And scary part is it’s just getting started. 

I’d be happy with:

(1) DT Payne

(2) OG Wynn

(3) FS Whitehead....he had a disappointing year but I love his speed. Sit back and learn from Manuel/Rico  for a year.

I wouldn’t complain. 

Im not really anti-Wynn. I just think where you’re slotting him is where I’d want to draft him,

theyll be some really good players at #26. We moved up to #26 to grab Takk right?

if we went OL in first, my personal favorite is Price. I think if Mack gets injured, or declines he can seamlessly move to C.

after the Person experiment, not having a compentant OC frightens me :rant:

I have a hard time projecting where Wynn should go. He reminds me of two different former FSU linemen: Rodney Hudson who was an all-American at guard but projected to center was drafted #55 overall in 2011 and has been really good and Cameron Irving who was an all-American at left tackle in college before moving to center as a senior was drafted #19 overall and has not been worth it. 

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Josh Garnett struggled big time in 2016. I have seen reports coming out of the 49ers that they are not high on him and wants to sign a FA OG and draft another one. Like I said Zack Martin, David Decastro, Kyle Long are exception. 

Except that they aren't the exceptions if they're the only ones drafted......You can't look at the guards drafted in the 1st round over the course of the last handful of years, see that Scherff and Peat and Martin and DeCastro and Long and Zeitler and Pouncey are all Pro Bowl level guards and then tell me theyre "the exception." The fact is, the "exceptions" are the guys that havent been slam dunks. And of those guys, one of them has played well for a very good OL going to the Super Bowl, another had his leg shattered his rookie season and another spent his entire second year on injured reserve. 

6 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'm not speaking to any specific prospect which we may or may not be looking at. I'm merely pushing back against the mistaken notion that guards cant/shouldnt be drafted highly or in the 1st. 

As for the team's success being used as a metric for the performance of an individual offensive line player, well thats obviously silly. But since you asked, The Cowboys won a playoff game the season they drafted Martin and were a controversial call away from a championship game appearance. Two years later they lost a close game to a Top 5 all time QB....because their coach is mediocre and their defense isnt very good. 

You quoting my reply was a bit out of context. I was replying to the poster that said in the last 25 year’s the most successful teams selected Guards.

in fact the teams he had listed were Seattle, Pitt and Philly. Philly took an OG in 11 that busted out of the league. 

The point of the reply (to OL) was what you pointed out..it was a silly barometer for team success.

im not anti-Guard in first. I don’t think Wynn is a first rounder but who knows at this point. 

You see Wynn as a first rounder?

4 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

I have a hard time projecting where Wynn should go. He reminds me of two different former FSU linemen: Rodney Hudson who was an all-American at guard but projected to center was drafted #55 overall in 2011 and has been really good and Cameron Irving who was an all-American at left tackle in college before moving to center as a senior was drafted #19 overall and has not been worth it. 

He reminds me of Hudson as well. I’d forgot about Irving.

im having trouble figuring where he projects as well. He’s definitely not elite size. The combine explosiveness tests will be interesting 

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

You quoting my reply was a bit out of context. I was replying to the poster that said in the last 25 year’s the most successful teams selected Guards.

in fact the teams he had listed were Seattle, Pitt and Philly. Philly took an OG in 11 that busted out of the league. 

The point of the reply (to OL) was what you pointed out..it was a silly barometer for team success.

im not anti-Guard in first. I don’t think Wynn is a first rounder but who knows at this point. 

You see Wynn as a first rounder?

I think the reason "successful" teams are often drafting guards in the 1st round is because they already have loaded rosters and when picking at the end of the round, they deem it better to draft the best guard than the 4th or 5th best corner. Those teams already have studs at QB, OT, DE, CB, etc, that's why they're picking at the end of the 1st. It's not like they sucked, picked a guard, and then got better. 

Just now, Summerhill said:

I think the reason "successful" teams are often drafting guards in the 1st round is because they already have loaded rosters and when picking at the end of the round, they deem it better to draft the best guard than the 4th or 5th best corner. Those teams already have studs at QB, OT, DE, CB, etc, that's why they're picking at the end of the 1st. It's not like they sucked, picked a guard, and then got better. 

This actually seems plausible. Didn’t Seattle draft Ifedi to be an OT?

pouncey was a stud, but OCs are valuable. 

Most rookie OL struggle, regardless

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

Someone's going to fall and we need to be there to pickup the pieces.

Edmunds Ridley Vea Payne or someone of that ilk falls Wynn sorry bro I'm taking the talent every time.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Ronnie Harrison or Marcus Davenport as a Falcon either.

you been tracking Davenport? Possibly a project, but good gracious what a project