Sounds like DQ likes GA Guard Isaiah Wynn

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, k-train said:

Look, dude said only bad teams draft interior o-line in the first. My argument was just showing that statement to be false. Nothing more, nothing less really.

In general teams don't take interior linemen in the first... I was never trying to say that's not accurate. HeII, that's why I had to go back so far to find someone that's done it four times. It's rare. But the argument had nothing to do with the rarity of occurrence. It had everything to do with the quality of teams who have used a first on interior o-line. I was pointing out that yes in fact, good teams do it too, and actually a few have done it a bit more frequently than anyone... including the consistently bad teams.

And it you wanna just put a shorter time frame on it, fine... that just shows that some good teams do it, and some good teams don't. Some bad teams do it, and some bad teams don't. But the point remains, taking an interior o-lineman in the 1st is not inclusive to garbage teams.

The reality is that occasionally there is a guard or center who is actually worth spending a first on... not often, but it happens. Sure the value might not quite be what it is compared to other positions, but if there's a potential perennial All-pro guard sitting there & it's considered a position of need, and the DT's, DEs, etc.still available are all just kinda average... I can fully understand why some teams choose to buck the traditional logic & go get the guard.. 

His statement wasn’t overly Wrong, the teams that you referenced haven’t even sniffed an interior OL in the first in the time period that might be relative to their current success.

the eagles have a only one first rounder on their OL. Their OT, Johnson. The rest are much like our OL. Mix of GAs, mid round , late round and UDFAs

the Steelers have two former first ro7nd picks. One was an absolute stud at OC. Both LT and LG are former UDFAs.

The Seahawks are far from a shining example of how to build an OL

so, your analogy was odd if not just outlandishly stupid. 

but, whatever.

6 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

And the Steelers haven’t drafted an interior OL since 2012. David Decastro. They drafted an OC in 2010 (Pouncey) in first round.

ben Roethlisberger is incompetent? Ok, what are your standards if competence 

For the bengals Boling  (G) and bodine (center) 4th rounders, Fisher (RT) a second rounder, and Ogbeughi (LT) is the only first rounder.

they let the last interior OL they drafted in the first round walk. Zeitler.

I meant the bengals and cowboys suffer from bad QB play. You are right zeitler was taken as a first round pick and when he left their offense hasNT been the same. Steelers have 2 probowl caliber guards and a good center. No need to draft any more interior linemen since its not a position of need.

I also want to emphasize that the eagles dominated the vikings because of excellent oline play even with foles at QB. You know the team we barely scored 9 points against.

A top guard is a must have for our offense especially when we need a yard.

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Did you know that the Steelers have two UDFAs on their OL? Their LT and LG are both UDFAs.

Most teajs don’t have super studs in every OL position.

Those UFAs are playing at a probowl level. Our guards are playing like chyt. Big difference. We do have a UFA in shraeder on our line. 

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

I meant the bengals and cowboys suffer from bad QB play. You are right zeitler was taken as a first round pick and when he left their offense hasNT been the same. Steelers have 2 probowl caliber guards and a good center. No need to draft any more interior linemen since its not a position of need.

I also want to emphasize that the eagles dominated the vikings because of excellent oline play even with foles at QB. You know the team we barely scored 9 points against.

A top guard is a must have for our offense especially when we need a yard.

No argument that you want great OL play period. But it’s rarely from investing top picks in multiple OL. 

Steeoers have two UDFA studs

Just now, osiruz said:

Those UFAs are playing at a probowl level. Our guards are playing like chyt. Big difference. We do have a UFA in shraeder on our line. 

The difference is they grew their players similar to how we’re doing. Wes could absolutely be a stud next year. Harlow was basically redshirted. Screamer sucked initially. It takes time.

the one reason I think we could go OG—possibly a guy who can play OC as well is Mack and Levitre. Both have had injuries. Whether it’s a depth pick to learn behind Levitre and push Harlow and Wes to backups remains to be seen

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

No argument that you want great OL play period. But it’s rarely from investing top picks in multiple OL. 

Steeoers have two UDFA studs

How likely is it to strike on a UFA player? There's like maybe 2 good ufas in every draft total, and those guys take an epoch to develop. No thanks.

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

The difference is they grew their players similar to how we’re doing. Wes could absolutely be a stud next year. Harlow was basically redshirted. Screamer sucked initially. It takes time.

the one reason I think we could go OG—possibly a guy who can play OC as well is Mack and Levitre. Both have had injuries. Whether it’s a depth pick to learn behind Levitre and push Harlow and Wes to backups remains to be seen

Took foster like 5 seasons to play at a high level, lol. You are willing to wait that long? 

Just now, osiruz said:

How likely is it to strike on a UFA player? There's like maybe 2 good ufas in every draft total, and those guys take an epoch to develop. No thanks.

Why are you suddenly changing arguments? I didn’t say go only UDFA, now did I?

The whole discussion is you don’t historically invest multiple first round picks on your interior OL.

also, seems everyone has completely given up on a first year player abc a recent draft pick that we basically redshirted 

7 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Why are you suddenly changing arguments? I didn’t say go only UDFA, now did I?

The whole discussion is you don’t historically invest multiple first round picks on your interior OL.

also, seems everyone has completely given up on a first year player abc a recent draft pick that we basically redshirted 

Who is changing arguments? You insinuated other teams struck out with udfa gems in their oline, and when I said that's a rare occurence you resorted to idiotic ad hominem like a child. Please enlighten me, how would you address the Oline if this isn't what you are saying?

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

Agree. Man, at our pick we could be looking at Ronnie Harrison, Justin reid, Marcus Davenport, Harold Landry, Sam Hubbard and a plethora of fantastic players just sitting there. 

Can you imagine Keanu and Harrison roaming that secondary ? Reid and Harrison add a playmaking dimension over a Rico, who we severely overpay if not careful 

Or Davenport’s Long athletic arse in our pass rush arsenal? Hubbard is a better Clayborn almost immediately. Landry is an athletic edge guy to bolster the rotation as well. 

i keep looking at our needs and the reality is we have Clayborn coming off a season that looks great, but is inflated by a six sack game against a hapless cowboy team. Brooks Reed has a $5.4m cap hit at age 30, coming off a slightly better than Kroy Biermann  year, and Shelby and Crawford offer little in the way of pass rush. 

In short, why overpay Clayborn, and how much longer do you pay Reed fairly big dollars? I could see us grabbing a pass rusher in the first over an OG. That gives Takk and the rook on cheap deals with a 5th year option.

end of the day 39 sacks is pretty good, but take out Clayborn’s freak gigantic day and it’s a lot less impressive. Ditto on INTs and FFs. We had a whopping -2 giveaway/takeaway. That’s not yet a championship defense.

we need a defensive playmaker to get over that next hurdle. So how does picking a G in the first help that?

or let’s go even further, we have Sanu, JJ, and Hoop as our receiving threats. The Hardy love is simply way overrated. How about Teco who’s going into contract year—do you pass on a Sony Michel or Nick Chubb? Why would you? 

I want Desean Elliott FS from Texas. Would fit perfect next to Neal. Only 20 years old, 6 interceptions, tackles well, good range and has good size. Could be our Safety combo for the next decade+.

I’d pass on Chubb or Michel. No reason we can’t draft a RB next year if we do end up losing Coleman.

Edited by falconsfan4life3
7 minutes ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

I want Desean Elliott FS from Texas. Would fit perfect next to Neal. Only 20 years old, 6 interceptions, tackles well, good range and has good size.

Could be our Safety combo for the next decade+.

I like this kid too. He’s a hybrid, but I think Quinn/Manuel would turn him and Neal into best Safety tandem in nfl. 

13 minutes ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

I want Desean Elliott FS from Texas. Would fit perfect next to Neal. Only 20 years old, 6 interceptions, tackles well, good range and has good size. Could be our Safety combo for the next decade+.

I’d pass on Chubb or Michel. No reason we can’t draft a RB next year if we do end up losing Coleman.

Elliot is a good looking prospect.

i dunno. I would normally say yes but Michel could be a better pro than he was in college, a rb duo of free and him would be fantastic

Just now, osiruz said:

You'e followed me quite a bit in other threads as well. If you want to behave like a grade school child then I'll treat you like one.

Does mos-quoting posters and being a general all round contrarian and lying when confronted count as being grade schoolish? 

Ive noticed that you butt your way into threads, throw a bunch of non-substantiated data around and then get mad.

i feel like you’ve threatened me.

i might tattle on you