Sounds like DQ likes GA Guard Isaiah Wynn

4 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I can't see that at all .. dude is getting 10-12 mil a year ... I don't think it's a choice between poe and a FA guard ... it's that Matt ryan, Jake matthews, and Grady jarrett about to get paidddddd ... then in another year or 2 u have our young talent... 

TD has been smart ..  alot of the contracts like Alford and Free are easy to get out of in 2 years ... TD is getting ready for those years too .  

I just can't see us bringing in an expensive guard

Julio has about 2-3yrs of time left as an elite player- that’s it.  We have no other player on the roster on offense that will be dominant 4yrs from now.   While our defense is still trending up,  our offense will be winding down without any newly drafted marquee players.   

What will make the Falcons special without Julio?

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Julio has about 2-3yrs of time left as an elite player- that’s it.  We have no other player on the roster on offense that will be dominant 4yrs from now.   While our defense is still trending up,  our offense will be winding down without any newly drafted marquee players.   

I think we need to reup on WR also .... this year I would draft a WR in the 3rd or 4th round this year .. it's some mid rould WRS I like .   The Next year I would look at taking a WR early .. possibly 1st round

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

there were several scouting publications that actually had Riley ranked as high or higher than Debo coming out - not saying they were right - but the difference is not as great as you think.

Where the difference seems significant is between the ears.  Debo has the mind to allow his athleticism to shine.  If Riley runs a 4.6 but his reaction is .2 seconds slower, the speed amounts to having lots of assisted tackles rather than solo impact plays

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

Me as well on C.

It’s early, but I can’t see Wynn as a 1st rounder.

I don’t see him as a first rounder as of now, either.

i get that plenty of 6’2” OGs have played, but few have cracked the first round. He’s a round 2-3, I think.

nelson is really the only “cant miss” OG in this draft. Size, length, agility..etc

but I’ve been wrong many times, 

two guys that I’m keeping an eye on are Courtland Sutton and Trey Quinn. The SMU teammates both have plenty of tape.

sutton will go early in draft, I think. He’s a JJ size athletic specimen

Quinn will go later but great hands and route running

i could see the falcons lusting after Sutton, but being very happy with Quinn in rds 2-4

i really think WR will be one of our picks. Gabriel is a mismatch for Sark’s offense, and beyond Sanu and JJ it gets really thin

hardy is a HD83 type of forgettable WR 

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Freeman has about two more years of peak performance, Julio has about four years and Ryan about six.  

We need to address the RB position first, then WR.  

We are apparently looking into the QB position now.  It takes longer to develop a QB and it is also obvious that Matt Schaub is too expensive to keep on the roster.  

We should draft a RB this off season.  Freeman has his concussion history and Coleman might be signed away after next season.  Also, Coleman's Sickle Cell Trait makes him a risk, as a full time starter.  

We probably will not find another Julio, but we should start looking for another #1 guy either next year or the year after that.  

TE is an interesting situation.  I think that Hooper can still develop into a good weapon, but we may have to start planning for a starter at that position in 2 years.  

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

there were several scouting publications that actually had Riley ranked as high or higher than Debo coming out - not saying they were right - but the difference is not as great as you think.

Be patient with Riley.  He is certainly as physically gifted as Deion.  He is just not as football intelligent as Deion.  

With Riley in the NFL, I think we will see him develop very nicely.  He is now a full time football player with money at stake.  He will learn.

Re-structure Matt Ryan.  Re-sign Poe.  

Offer Levitre a cheaper, re-structured extension.  If he doesn't sign, drop him.  Personally, I think he will accept.  At 32 and with a tricep injury, most teams will view him as a mid-level FA.

Drop: Clayborn and Reed.  They are replaceable guys that are getting too old to be paid big bucks.  

Free Agency:  Chris Hubbard.  Offer $5M/year.  He is making 1.6M now and the Steelers are not in a position to pay another OL.  He is a native Georgian, so he may welcome a return home.  

Hubbard fits into the RG position perfectly..... a definite upgrade to anyone on our roster.  Signing him will allow for us to develop OG's like Schweitzer and Harlow.    

And here is a bonus:  Chris Hubbard can play RT.  If Schraeder disappoints for another year, CH can easily move over, help us save cap space and still perform at a good level.

Draft:  Keep it simple......we go after the BPA for the first three rounds.  We are now in a position to dramatically improve our team with great players.  

If a great FS drops into our laps at #26, take him.  I like Allen but if a budding star can be added, go for it.  The same goes for a pass rusher, RB, TE, or CB.  Regardless of the position, take the best.  In the long run, we get better and our cap management gets easier.     

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I really like Courtland Sutton. Doubt we’d have a chance to get him. But he’s special

31 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Re-structure Matt Ryan.  Re-sign Poe.  

Offer Levitre a cheaper, re-structured extension.  If he doesn't sign, drop him.  Personally, I think he will accept.  At 32 and with a tricep injury, most teams will view him as a mid-level FA.

Drop: Clayborn and Reed.  They are replaceable guys that are getting too old to be paid big bucks.  

Free Agency:  Chris Hubbard.  Offer $5M/year.  He is making 1.6M now and the Steelers are not in a position to pay another OL.  He is a native Georgian, so he may welcome a return home.  

Hubbard fits into the RG position perfectly..... a definite upgrade to anyone on our roster.  Signing him will allow for us to develop OG's like Schweitzer and Harlow.    

And here is a bonus:  Chris Hubbard can play RT.  If Schraeder disappoints for another year, CH can easily move over, help us save cap space and still perform at a good level.

Draft:  Keep it simple......we go after the BPA for the first three rounds.  We are now in a position to dramatically improve our team with great players.  

If a great FS drops into our laps at #26, take him.  I like Allen but if a budding star can be added, go for it.  The same goes for a pass rusher, RB, TE, or CB.  Regardless of the position, take the best.  In the long run, we get better and our cap management gets easier.     

Honestly...cant disagree with much of anything here except I really like Clayborne

15 hours ago, etherdome said:

There is a less expensive solution that is also a longer term deal. I am going to keep shouting from my soap box.

SIGN:  CHRIS HUBBARD

This guy is athletic and strong and he gets it.  He studies and now has NFL experience (I mean on-the-field playing time) for the past 4-5 seasons.  The Steelers want to keep him, but we can out-bid the Steelers.

Plus, he is a Georgia native that played college ball a UAB.  

I believe that he is our answer at OG.  He can play either side and can fill in at OT if needed.  Heck, he may be more athletic than Schraeder (possibly a better pass protector).  Who knows, he might be able to take over at RT and we can slide Schraeder to the LG position.  

If Hubbard gets the chance to man one fixed position on our line, I believe he will excel.   

I dont know that I've ever paid all that much attention to Chris Hubbard but Pittsburgh's line has been good for a few years now. I'd be fine with exploring that. 

21 hours ago, g-dawg said:

We need to find a replacement for Julio sooner rather than later and you don't replace a Julio but soften the blow..I just think this Team at the end of the day is going to be a defensive team but even so have to start replenishing the cupboard 

Isaiah Wynn Just Named Player of Day at Sr. Bowl by Mike Mayock. Said he could play guard or tackle, but probably was a guard in the NFL. Said he came in without much rest after national title game, but hasn't been beaten in a rep in 3 days of practice.

Every highlight/clip I've seen of him down there has been of him dominating. Not competing. Not playing pretty good. Flat out dominating. He’s Embarrassing D Linemen right and left and improving himself in the draft day by day.

Edited by RandomFan
22 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Where the difference seems significant is between the ears.  Debo has the mind to allow his athleticism to shine.  If Riley runs a 4.6 but his reaction is .2 seconds slower, the speed amounts to having lots of assisted tackles rather than solo impact plays

In general, I agree, and I think Riley was a massive disappointment this year. HOWEVER. He did start playing a whole lot faster in the last few games of the year. I almost think he was trying to do too much and overthinking things. He has all the athletic potential in the world. Could see a big jump from year 1 to year 2...Debo just has our expectations sky high.

Because, well...he rules. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

In general, I agree, and I think Riley was a massive disappointment this year. HOWEVER. He did start playing a whole lot faster in the last few games of the year. I almost think he was trying to do too much and overthinking things. He has all the athletic potential in the world. Could see a big jump from year 1 to year 2...Debo just has our expectations sky high.

Because, well...he rules. :lol:

Just because my expectations were out of line based on DQ’s unique ability to identify talent  doesn’t mean he was a disappointment.  When I step back and look objectively, Riley was a 3rd. Round pick who started several games and improved enough to make an impact in the playoffs.   About as much as I could expect from a third rounder.  He was never a plug and play guy, but I assumed he would be bc Debo was.  

Bottom line, I didn’t expect Debo to be Debo, so it was unfair for me to assume Riley would be Debo 2.0

On 1/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, atljbo said:

But man im a big Taven Bryan fan ... He has to be coached up and i dont think he is the big body DT we want next to Grady but i think he could be that DE/DT coach has been searching HARD for

Sounds like Dan Quinn and/or Dimitroff agrees with you.

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors5.php

3 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Sounds like Dan Quinn and/or Dimitroff agrees with you.

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018rumors5.php

Taven Bryan similar to Takk is like the perfect DQ guy... He is a explosive strong Lineman with a motor.... Even tho Florida sucked dude play game 1 and there last game the same... He was allll go... 

Coach looks for traits and scheme fit.. I still remember ppl saying Keanu Neal could not cover and missed alot of tackles... Coach saw a big safety with CB hips that could fit his in the box SS... At Florida they played him deep safety 

I also remember coming out of college Deion Jones couldn't cover , Missed wayyy to many tackles, and was to small so he had to be a WLB ... Coach saw a LB with special speed, a grade at mind for the game, and DB hips... Keep the guy clean he would shine.

I can go on and on .. He is looking for traits that fits what he wants at a certain podition.

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I like Bryan. If he gets coached up to his athletic ability he could be a steal

STEAL... I think if he went back to school (and had no injury) ... He would be a top 15 guy.... The guy is that talented... He just needs to be coached up on having a plan and using his arm length better

On 1/24/2018 at 10:25 PM, g-dawg said:

One player does not make a team. I don't think that Julio had a great year, so many dropped passes. He seems to be injured quite often now. What would be the value of a JJ to another team ?

15 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Isaiah Wynn Just Named Player of Day at Sr. Bowl by Mike Mayock. Said he could play guard or tackle, but probably was a guard in the NFL. Said he came in without much rest after national title game, but hasn't been beaten in a rep in 3 days of practice.

Every highlight/clip I've seen of him down there has been of him dominating. Not competing. Not playing pretty good. Flat out dominating. He’s Embarrassing D Linemen right and left and improving himself in the draft day by day.

Wow if he is there in the first take him