The 2018 FA Class Is Very Weak

4 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Generally I agree. The outlier is NE, who generally stinks at drafting despite all the love, and they trade for a lot of Players, and sign a lot of vets.

I hear ya. 

I disagree NE stinks at drafting. They’ve certainly had a few stinkers people like to point to, but by and large BB is very good in drafting scheme-fit type players. I think Dan Quinn has that same rare ability of doing that as well. 

Belichick is also excellent in drafting/investing in long-term good value (see his QB picks) which allows him to get a return later when he trades them for more picks....which  is something we haven’t seen here (or anywhere else really).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I hear ya. 

I disagree NE stinks at drafting. They’ve certainly had a few stinkers people like to point to, but by and large BB is very good in drafting scheme-fit type players. I think Dan Quinn has that same rare ability of doing that as well. 

Belichick is also excellent in drafting/investing in long-term good value (see his QB picks) that allow him to get a return later when he trades them for more picks....which  is something we haven’t seen here (or anywhere else really).

Agreed. 

New England is the league's best at fitting talent to scheme and using all avenues of player acquisition to obtain quality players. They have a lot of "misses" because they're almost always picking later in the draft and typically pick more frequently than other teams. They offset those "misses" with hits elsewhere and risk diversification. 

On 1/23/2018 at 0:44 PM, kiwifalcon said:

They do to me man we aren't looking for a 1 A we are looking for a guy across from Julio and the more and more I think about this with Sanu's money basically paid making him cuttable end of next year Watkins would be my guy.

I see a guy just screaming out for a place to make home he sure hands quick can get deep he'd be a good pickup in my eyes.

You and I agree. I’d love to see him one on one across from Julio. 

14 hours ago, Vandy said:

Co-sign. Great teams are built through the draft and fill in missing pieces with FA role players aka Jack Crawford. Let the Splashy FA signings go to Cleveland. 

That’s always been my belief. Draft well and sprinkle in needed FAs. DQ/TD have done very well in that regard. We’re to the point now with our roster we don’t need a big splash. 

According to draftanalyst.com --------------

Weston Richburg, who was fast becoming one of the top young centers in the NFL before his injury last season, may end up signing with a new team in free agency but may not leave the New York/New Jersey area.

Speculation is New York Giants general manager Dave Gettleman will looks to sign Panthers interior lineman Andrew Norwell, a favorite of his in Carolina, during free agency rather than re-sign Richburg

http://draftanalyst.com/senior-bowl-buzz-thursday

On 1/23/2018 at 1:33 PM, Falcanuck said:

Noteworthy 2019 FAs (relevant to Falcons' needs)

Robert Quinn, DE

Richard Sherman, CB

Odell Beckham, WR

Aaron Donald, DT

Clay Matthews, OLB

Jadeveon Clowney, DE

Joe Thomas, LT

Zack Martin, G

Geno Atkins, DT

Khalil Mack, DE

Kwon Alexander, ILB

Earl Thomas, FS

Duane Brown, LT

Jordy Nelson, WR

Cameron Wake, DE

Carlos Dunlap, DE

Greg Olson, TE

Cliff Avril, DE

Delanie Walker, TE

Josh Sitton, G

Brandon Graham, DE

Ritchie Incognito, G

Anthony Barr, OLB

Taylor Lewan, LT

Danielle Hunter, DE

Don't forget Tevin Coleman RB....      we will need a back up RB in 2019 if TECO signs with another team!!! 

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

Really? Jalen Ramsey and all the other young stars on that D would say they had a little to do with that. 

Campbell was a great signing, but the other pieces had to be there. More common FA scenario is what went on In Washington and Oakland for years.

bottom line, the truly great teams don’t have the cap space because they are using it to re-sign their home grown draft picks. Which means they keep drafting well, which is the key for us. 

That's why I'm glad FA is really a non event for us which is a good sign and wreaks of a franchise that's been built correctly.

Hence why I never understood the Trufant hate when he got paid the let's lowball Julio and further back the hate Ryan got when he got his.Build through the draft pay them the team does well.

Am I missing something or are some of our fanbase on drugs shrugs shoulders.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:24 PM, vel said:

Eh this is lazy. They say the same about the QB prospects every year. A lot of those guys will be either re-signed or aren't leaving. Take Drew Brees for example. He's a FA this year, but he's not going anywhere. 

I'd add guys like:

Justin Ellis - I wanted him when he was coming out. Big fella just doesn't get moved. Keeps your LB clean. That's vital for guys like Debo and Duke. 

Daquan Jones - A lot of us wanted him coming out. Big, strong, physical. 

Xavier Williams - Well rounded DL from AZ. Does a lot of things right and would prevent a large drop off coming off the bench in relief. 

Mitch Unrein - Vet. Physical presence in the run game. Older, but still a useful player. 

There is plenty of talent. It may not be sexy, but we don't need sexy. We need to keep raising the bar of the bottom of the roster. When you have starter quality players as depth, you become a very hard team to beat. 

I would throw in Beau Allen from the eagles. He has good size. He is listed  at 6'3 327

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

Really? Jalen Ramsey and all the other young stars on that D would say they had a little to do with that. 

Campbell was a great signing, but the other pieces had to be there. More common FA scenario is what went on In Washington and Oakland for years.

bottom line, the truly great teams don’t have the cap space because they are using it to re-sign their home grown draft picks. Which means they keep drafting well, which is the key for us. 

Malik Jackson, Calais Campbell, Marcell Dareus, AJ Bouye, Barry Church

in two seasons 

3 pro bowlers

4 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Agreed. 

New England is the league's best at fitting talent to scheme and using all avenues of player acquisition to obtain quality players. They have a lot of "misses" because they're almost always picking later in the draft and typically pick more frequently than other teams. They offset those "misses" with hits elsewhere and risk diversification. 

Risk diversification...that’s why I hate trading up as it requires trading away valuable picks, it’s my one gripe with TD.....trading down has always made more sense to me conceptually. 

Of course, risk management is what I do for a living, so no wonder I gravitate to that way of thinking ...

On 1/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, Falcanuck said:

Sammy Watkins, Terelle Pyor and Josh Gordon, as FAs, do not inspire a ton of confidence in me. Tons of talent there. But if I'm going to gamble on high-ceiling, low-floor players, I'd do it in the draft instead of attaching $$$$$ to them.

Last year I wanted Patterson for KR/PR/OW. I think Watkins is the same type. You have Julio, Sanu, Watkins and that's a bunch of dangerous guys to be used in many ways. 

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

That's why I'm glad FA is really a non event for us which is a good sign and wreaks of a franchise that's been built correctly.

Hence why I never understood the Trufant hate when he got paid the let's lowball Julio and further back the hate Ryan got when he got his.Build through the draft pay them the team does well.

Am I missing something or are some of our fanbase on drugs shrugs shoulders.

I think it’s because they can’t wrap their heads around how much these guys are paid compared to what regular folks make. 

28 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Last year I wanted Patterson for KR/PR/OW. I think Watkins is the same type. You have Julio, Sanu, Watkins and that's a bunch of dangerous guys to be used in many ways. 

Sammy Watkins is intriguing but I would take a look at Paul Richardson from Seattle...great speed and hands to match...perfect field stretcher opposite of Julio..

13 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

You dont like Paul:shrug:

700 yards 6 tds..imagine if Wilson didnt spend most of every snap running for his life what he could of had...

I was looking for a Gabriel replacement that wasn't going to break the bank...

No. You have to watch the games. That was more Wilson than Richardson. Look at Kearse. he put up similar numbers. Does that mean you want him here? That was as a Jet he had better numbers. Should we all like him? Richardson runs the absolute WORST routes.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Like I said, exception not the rule. 

Not to mention the fact they haven’t won anything yet. 

I don’t disagree. I’m simply stating the Falcons shouldn’t be spenders this offseason. And if they WERE to be spenders in FA, next year is shaping up as the year to do it. That’s it. I actually think what you’re saying is correct.