The 2018 FA Class Is Very Weak

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can grab a guard, dependable tight end and a servicable fullback, we'd be set. There are a TON of players I like at WR/CB that we could grab in the draft.

And can we please stop throwing away draft picks on offensive lineman who will never see the field. For once I wish we'd take a chance on just a huge project dlineman who can block FGs or just a speedy corner/wr/hb hybrid who could return kicks.

Eh this is lazy. They say the same about the QB prospects every year. A lot of those guys will be either re-signed or aren't leaving. Take Drew Brees for example. He's a FA this year, but he's not going anywhere. 

I'd add guys like:

Justin Ellis - I wanted him when he was coming out. Big fella just doesn't get moved. Keeps your LB clean. That's vital for guys like Debo and Duke. 

Daquan Jones - A lot of us wanted him coming out. Big, strong, physical. 

Xavier Williams - Well rounded DL from AZ. Does a lot of things right and would prevent a large drop off coming off the bench in relief. 

Mitch Unrein - Vet. Physical presence in the run game. Older, but still a useful player. 

There is plenty of talent. It may not be sexy, but we don't need sexy. We need to keep raising the bar of the bottom of the roster. When you have starter quality players as depth, you become a very hard team to beat. 

20 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Noteworthy 2019 FAs (relevant to Falcons' needs)

Robert Quinn, DE

Richard Sherman, CB

Odell Beckham, WR

Aaron Donald, DT

Clay Matthews, OLB

Jadeveon Clowney, DE

Joe Thomas, LT

Zack Martin, G

Geno Atkins, DT

Khalil Mack, DE

Kwon Alexander, ILB

Earl Thomas, FS

Duane Brown, LT

Jordy Nelson, WR

Cameron Wake, DE

Carlos Dunlap, DE

Greg Olson, TE

Cliff Avril, DE

Delanie Walker, TE

Josh Sitton, G

Brandon Graham, DE

Ritchie Incognito, G

Anthony Barr, OLB

Taylor Lewan, LT

Danielle Hunter, DE

LMAO if you think all these guys will slip through to FA. They'll be tagged or signed. Maybe 2 or 3 get through but no way all of these guys come through. Some of these guys I wouldn't call impact players anyways Incognito is old so is Wake. Nelson is super dependant on Rogers and we already have Sanu no need to bring him in. We need a speed guy @ WR#2 to take the tops off D not another move the chains guy. And with Tak and Beasley as our outside ends why would we pay top dollar for another one? Same goes with Sherman we have Tru & Alford under contract.

This year I actually like Tyler Eifert a lot he's had some injuries but is a beast in the red zone would help us a lot down there and I don't think he'll break the bank and might be a great buy low opportunity.

We don't need a big ticket FA. We just need a solid, mid level contract guy like when we signed Sanu.

Speaking of Sanu, it would great to sign Watkins, and slide Sanu to the slot. Get ASJ on a cheap deal, and get in on Pugh. Offense would look **** good.

Then we could go Vita in the 1st, a OG in the 2nd, return man(WR/CB) in the 3rd, and depth the rest of the way.

Team would have quality depth up and down the roster.

3 hours ago, rh50 said:

LMAO if you think all these guys will slip through to FA. They'll be tagged or signed. Maybe 2 or 3 get through but no way all of these guys come through. Some of these guys I wouldn't call impact players anyways Incognito is old so is Wake. Nelson is super dependant on Rogers and we already have Sanu no need to bring him in. We need a speed guy @ WR#2 to take the tops off D not another move the chains guy. And with Tak and Beasley as our outside ends why would we pay top dollar for another one? Same goes with Sherman we have Tru & Alford under contract.

This year I actually like Tyler Eifert a lot he's had some injuries but is a beast in the red zone would help us a lot down there and I don't think he'll break the bank and might be a great buy low opportunity.

You clearly lack basic reading comprehension skills. 

14 hours ago, vel said:

Eh this is lazy. They say the same about the QB prospects every year. A lot of those guys will be either re-signed or aren't leaving. Take Drew Brees for example. He's a FA this year, but he's not going anywhere. 

I'd add guys like:

Justin Ellis - I wanted him when he was coming out. Big fella just doesn't get moved. Keeps your LB clean. That's vital for guys like Debo and Duke. 

Daquan Jones - A lot of us wanted him coming out. Big, strong, physical. 

Xavier Williams - Well rounded DL from AZ. Does a lot of things right and would prevent a large drop off coming off the bench in relief. 

Mitch Unrein - Vet. Physical presence in the run game. Older, but still a useful player. 

There is plenty of talent. It may not be sexy, but we don't need sexy. We need to keep raising the bar of the bottom of the roster. When you have starter quality players as depth, you become a very hard team to beat. 

Still bargain bin players, which I said I’m all for. Nobody worth spending any sort of large capital on minus Norwell is still the reality of the 2018 FA. 

8 minutes ago, EuroFalcon said:

FA really should be more about team fits then big names. I'd rather find a good player that really fits our scheme and won't break the bank then one of the big name players. That said I wonder what Danielle Hunter's going rate would be. Could be a good pass rushing option in case Reed leaves.

I just listed the top 25 names I saw. As you can imagine, there’s plenty more names out there that will (with more likelihood) be available. Reed will absolutely be cut next offseason, if not this offseason, so yeah a young, rotational guy will be needed on the horizon. 

8 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Still bargain bin players, which I said I’m all for. Nobody worth spending any sort of large capital on minus Norwell is still the reality of the 2018 FA. 

I agree. But I also doubt we go for any kind of "name" player next year. That list looks good, but look at the names on there. A lot of them are very unrealistic and if they make it to the market, it's like people looking at the 2020 class and salivating at guys like Debo and Vic, who we know aren't going anywhere. 

We will be hanging in the "underwhelming" section for a while. That's what happens when you draft well. You draft the top talent and supplement the roster with FAs in March. 

22 minutes ago, vel said:

I agree. But I also doubt we go for any kind of "name" player next year. That list looks good, but look at the names on there. A lot of them are very unrealistic and if they make it to the market, it's like people looking at the 2020 class and salivating at guys like Debo and Vic, who we know aren't going anywhere. 

We will be hanging in the "underwhelming" section for a while. That's what happens when you draft well. You draft the top talent and supplement the roster with FAs in March. 

Co-sign. Great teams are built through the draft and fill in missing pieces with FA role players aka Jack Crawford. Let the Splashy FA signings go to Cleveland. 

9 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Jacksonville built the best defence in the NFL through FA

Really? Jalen Ramsey and all the other young stars on that D would say they had a little to do with that. 

Campbell was a great signing, but the other pieces had to be there. More common FA scenario is what went on In Washington and Oakland for years.

bottom line, the truly great teams don’t have the cap space because they are using it to re-sign their home grown draft picks. Which means they keep drafting well, which is the key for us. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Really? Jalen Ramsey and all the other young stars on that D would say they had a little to do with that. 

Campbell was a great signing, but the other pieces had to be there. More common FA scenario is what went on In Washington and Oakland for years.

bottom line, the truly great teams don’t have the cap space because they are using it to re-sign their home grown draft picks. Which means they keep drafting well, which is the key for us. 

Generally I agree. The outlier is NE, who generally stinks at drafting despite all the love, and they trade for a lot of Players, and sign a lot of vets.