Dan Quinn seeks more active role in Falcons’ offense

I thought he'd insert himself more into the offense after the Superbowl fiasco.  Instead he brought in another OC and let him run the show--as if he was ever qualified to do so.  Quinn is ultimately responsible for the performance--or lack of it--of all his coaches.  It's time he holds their feet to the fire.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, maxatlanta said:

DQ is not the answer for getting the offense on track. A proven offensive coordinator with a track record of NFL success is. We have so much talent, it seems to make DQ comfortable with our lack of quality coaching on that side of the ball. If we had a team without a probowl QB, WR, RB, C-  then we'd see our team ranked at the bottom and a new OC would be brought in.

DQ might be the best DC in the league. And with our talent on offense, having him as HC could get us a championship. But his refusal to bring in someone to help him be a better in game decision maker, and to get himself a proven OC to manage that side of the ball might be his downfall. Superbowl windows don't stay open long, and often close much earlier than anticipated. It's downright negligent trying to develop an OC and ignore DQs deficiencies at this point in our team's timeline.

I can’t say that I ever saw Dan Quinn looking “comfortable” this season.  Furthermore, how exactly was he going to bring in some one to check his in game decisions?  That sounds like the last thing I would ever hear of an NFL head coach doing.  Who would be qualified to do that other than a different NFL head coach?  And why isn’t he coaching somewhere else, or better yet here in Atlanta rather than some one who needs their in game decisions double checked?  That’s just not how football works.

Quinn has participated in 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls.  He coached one of the best defenses of all time in SEA, over saw the 7th best offense of all time here in Atlanta and turned the worst defense in the NFL into a top 10 unit in 3 years and he is STILL learning.  He’ll be fine.

34 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Wow, this is actually one of the most optimistic comments I've seen on this board since the loss.

Well I hated this years team and am glad it's over. But Quinn himself and TD were not really the target for my hate.

I mean Quinn has been here 3 years not had a losing season yet took us to the playoffs twice won at least one game each time and took us to the SB. Pretty good production so far.

the 2017 team was a complete nightmare to watch and it is a complete miracle we made it to the playoffs but we still got their and beat the Rams on the road.

Quinn needs to take more responsibility for his Assistants and hold them more accountable which it looks like he is doing. Quinn himself is not the problem and is a plus for this team as Coach.

Edited by MAD597
4 minutes ago, abstract said:

I can’t say that I ever saw Dan Quinn looking “comfortable” this season.  Furthermore, how exactly was he going to bring in some one to check his in game decisions?  That sounds like the last thing I would ever hear of an NFL head coach doing.  Who would be qualified to do that other than a different NFL head coach?  And why isn’t he coaching somewhere else, or better yet here in Atlanta rather than some one who needs their in game decisions double checked?  That’s just not how football works.

Quinn has participated in 3 out of the last 4 Super Bowls.  He coached one of the best defenses of all time in SEA, over saw the 7th best offense of all time here in Atlanta and turned the worst defense in the NFL into a top 10 unit in 3 years and he is STILL learning.  He’ll be fine.

Both of the teams in the Superbowl employ analytics guys that advise their head coaches on in game decision making. I don't judge DQs comfort by his appearance, I judge it by the fact he retained his OC. No need to defend him as a defensive coach when my original comment was he might be the best in the league. He didn't oversee our historic offense, Shanahan did.

38 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Quinn should look to Belichick an example of being a Head Coach.  Eric Mancini said Belichick is not only the best HC, but would also be the best positional coach for every single position on offense, defense & ST.  Quinn’s fingerprints need to be on every part of the team.  Talent on offense is great, but it also requires structure, discipline & gameplanning to maximize said talent.

I dont know about all that. Weiss layed the foundation for the offense. New coordinators would come in or be promoted.  Brady has always been there.  No matter who comes in brady is still there running the same system. Patriots are the exception to the rule

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

He's learning to be a complete head coach. This is a good thing. But he's getting close to that "5-year or never" window. This year needs to be our year.

That's exactly what I'm thinking it's a growing process.I think alot on here don't understand this and still have to remember DQ is still in the growing process as a head coach.The idea a HC not have at least a fair portion of leeway across the board on his team is ridiculous to think that way.

Staying on the defensive side only makes him a one trick pony if you want a long term job in this business and be regarded as a complete package you best be well versed in every phase when it comes to running a football team.

5 minutes ago, red falcon said:

I dont know about all that. Weiss layed the foundation for the offense. New coordinators would come in or be promoted.  Brady has always been there.  No matter who comes in brady is still there running the same system. Patriots are the exception to the rule

Whether Mangini  was right about B.B. being the best positional coach at every position, the point remains.  BB at least knows enough about coaching each position to do it at a high level.  As such, his fingerprints will be on every single part of the game plan. And that is where I would like Quinn to be at some point in the near future. But it may require him stepping away from his defense knowing they’re in good hands with MM & Co.

Give me an honest answe...if you had to pick between Weiss & BB to run your offense, you really going with Weiss?

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking it's a growing process.I think alot on here don't understand this and still have to remember DQ is still in the growing process as a head coach.The idea a HC not have at least a fair portion of leeway across the board on his team is ridiculous to think that way.

Staying on the defensive side only makes him a one trick pony if you want a long term job in this business and be regarded as a complete package you best be well versed in every phase when it comes to running a football team.

I agree… Which is why Dimitroff should’ve called the Sarkisian hire into question. He must have known Quinn‘s limitations on the offensive side of the ball. He needed experienced help on that side, not a rookie with 20 something’s and a DB coach as his positional coaches 

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

I agree… Which is why Dimitroff should’ve called the Sarkisian hire into question. He must have known Quinn‘s limitations on the offensive side of the ball. He needed experienced help on that side, not a rookie with 20 something’s and a DB coach as his positional coaches 

To me the Sark hire was a DQ decision he'll ride or die with it.I see there not sitting on there hands there bringing in help.I don't see an issue here decisions are made everyday this too me as above is on our HC.I think comfort and familiarity had alot to do with this hire.

I also think the players need to stand up and be responsible also.While Sark had his wtf moments so did our players they didn't help Sarks cause either.

17 minutes ago, red falcon said:

It comes from vision of a great/good HC, Mike Holmgreen put his own WCO system in GB. He had enough coaches under him to take over when the OC left or even after he left. GB has been running the same system with tweaks depending on personnel for last 20+ years. Same with Denver for better part of last 20 years. 

36 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It comes from vision of a great/good HC, Mike Holmgreen put his own WCO system in GB. He had enough coaches under him to take over when the OC left or even after he left. GB has been running the same system with tweaks depending on personnel for last 20+ years. Same with Denver for better part of last 20 years. 

Great point and goes to the root of many fans frustration.   When you have a good system, you would ideally promote from within. For a seamless transition it made no sense to gut the entire offensive coaching staff.   Even if LaFleur was not ready to dominate as a play caller, he observed how Shanahan ran his meetings. Familiarity breeds comfort. There likely wouldn’t have been anonymous players saying how disorganized Sarkisian is. But it’s all in the past.  The question now is how to help Sarkisian become the best playcaller he possibly can. Quinn most definitely needs to be part of that process. 

Edited by Falconsin2012
17 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

We have had too much turnover with matt ryan here, shouldnt have let those guys leave last year when kyle left. I hope quinn learned from it

1 hour ago, capologist said:

Our fanbase cracks me up.  Year 3, no losing seasons and the past two have been playoff runs consisting of more than 1 round.  DQ is building something very good here, sit back and enjoy it...

Don’t single our fan base out.  This exists in every single fan base across the globe.  Even Patriots fans were calling for Brady & BB to get out mid way through the 3rd quarter of SB51.  

Bottom line is my life sucks.   My happiness depends on the Falcons being successful. If I can’t demand more out of them, I’m left with the unfortunate task of demanding more out of myself. And that’s just not something I’m ready for at the moment… LOL

Vicarious living...it may not lead to happiness, but at the end I can at least blame my unhappiness on someone or something other than myself 

/purpleish 

Edited by Falconsin2012
35 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Whether Mangini  was right about B.B. being the best positional coach at every position, the point remains.  BB at least knows enough about coaching each position to do it at a high level.  As such, his fingerprints will be on every single part of the game plan. And that is where I would like Quinn to be at some point in the near future. But it may require him stepping away from his defense knowing they’re in good hands with MM & Co.

Give me an honest answe...if you had to pick between Weiss & BB to run your offense, you really going with Weiss?

Oh no, im saying bill influences everything.  He no longer needs weiss. I agree with you.  A system is in placea. Now i dont know what he will do when brady retires, probably do the same. What more does he need to accomplish?

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s looking like Quinn left Sarkisian on an island with no rowboat or lifevest. 

How did TD sign off on the Sark hire without mandating experienced NFL offensive minds join Sark’s staff.  All Sark had was a 20 something qb coach who bailed mid season, a 20 something quality control coach and a defensive backs coach handling the receivers.  Not sure how they thought this was setting Sark up for success.  

Quinn needs to become an all 3 phases Head Coach.   Look at all the experienced coaches on the defensive side of the ball. It’s lije they actually believe talent trumps coaching

I agree.  I astounds me that Sarkisian was left pretty much alone.  

Quinn needs to concentrate on quality control across all three phases of the game.  Additionally, he needs to improve his in-game decision-making.  

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Don’t single our fan base out.  This exists in every single fan base across the globe.  Even Patriots fans were calling for Brady & BB to get out mid way through the 3rd quarter of SB51.  

Bottom line is my life sucks.   My happiness depends on the Falcons being successful. If I can’t demand more out of them, I’m left with the unfortunate task of demanding more out of myself. And that’s just not something I’m ready for at the moment… LOL

Vicarious living...it may not lead to happiness, but at the end I can at least blame my unhappiness on someone or something other than myself 

/purpleish 

I know this is a little tongue in cheek, but taking a break can really help...that isn't healthy bro