Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peyton

Does NFL Experience Matter?

102 posts in this topic

It's true that when Steve Sarkisian was hired as OC, I was fine with it.  I trusted Quinn.  I still trust Quinn.  But the offensive drop off this season was both statistically and visually extraordinary.  Even when a team has a historically great offense, it's not normal for their points to drop 35% the next season (with a 43% drop in offensive TDs).  So with that inevitably comes questions, and this is one of the questions being asked.

Does NFL experience matter?

The other day I used the term "bizarre" to describe the hiring and caught some slack for that from JDave, but what I meant by it is that teams don't just hire college coaches to come in to the NFL and start calling offensive plays right away.  It's just really uncommon.

But out of curiosity, I wanted to see how many teams were taking the kind of chance, having guys with little experience in the NFL calling their offensive plays, so I took a few minutes this afternoon to run that info down.

Out of the 32 NFL offensive play callers entering the 2017 season:

The average amount of experience was 16.35 seasons working in the NFL prior to the 2017 season starting.

27 out of 32 teams had Offensive play callers with at least a decade in the NFL.

31 out of 32 teams had Offensive play callers with at least 8 years of experience in the NFL.

The Falcons had an Offensive play caller with 1 year experience in the NFL, as a Quarterbacks coach way back in 2004.

Steve Sarkisian has a helluva lot of catching up to do.  Is his Offensive mind brilliant enough to make up for that huge lack of relevant job experience?

I guess we are going to find out, but this year's results weren't that promising. 

16 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It's true that when Steve Sarkisian was hired as OC, I was fine with it.  I trusted Quinn.  I still trust Quinn.  But the offensive drop off this season was both statistically and visually extraordinary.  Even when a team has a historically great offense, it's not normal for their points to drop 35% the next season (with a 43% drop in offensive TDs).  So with that inevitably comes questions, and this is one of the questions being asked.

The other day I used the term "bizarre" to describe the hiring and caught some slack for that from JDave, but what I meant by it is that teams don't just hire college coaches to come in to the NFL and start calling offensive plays right away.  It's just really uncommon.

But out of curiosity, I wanted to see how many teams were taking the kind of chance, having guys with little experience in the NFL calling their offensive plays, so I took a few minutes this afternoon to run that info down.

The average amount of experience was 16.35 seasons working in the NFL prior to the 2017 season starting.

27 out of 32 teams had Offensive play callers with at least a decade in the NFL.

31 out of 32 teams had Offensive play callers with at least 8 years of experience in the NFL.

The Falcons had an Offensive play caller with 1 year experience in the NFL, as a Quarterbacks coach way back in 2004.

Steve Sarkisian has a helluva lot of catching up to do.  Is his Offensive mind brilliant enough to make up for that huge lack of relevant job experience?

I guess we are going to find out, but this year's results weren't that promising. 

Curious as well if:

During that 13 year span away from the NFL and his...insobriety, did he lose any gray matter! Since he’s also gotten older, has he lost any gray matter? 

Just like college kids coming into the NFL, they have to adapt to “where the big boys play” I would assume a coach for an OC position would also have to adapt somewhat as well...in Sarks case, we were told a seamless transition...however, we saw the evidence of his rookie year, and it was keenly evident, he wasn’t ready.

so, I say yes, experience at or above the level Of job you are pursuing is paramount to a reasonable chance of success on day one! 

But hey, dude Sark must be one heck of a salesman with diamond studded references that glowed like the nose end of a challenger space shuttle re-entering earths atmosphere! Too pretty and mesmerizing for the Falcon brass to pass on! ...I think a few of his heat shields blew off and the burn was felt late in the year. 

Peyton m'boy, I love the posed question and my blunt of an answer would be "Laces Out".

The one thing this year thay boiled my blood,, well ok one of a gozillion things, but pretty much was the Poloroid of our season was the Rams Game.

Holy farking Cow Pattie.  Who is our Equipment guy and in Year 3 of the Dilly Dan era why am I even asking this question?  

So yeah everybody needs to pay up some dues in the NFL which is nothing more than writing your very own a to do list.

and hiring Greg Knapp,,,,,,,,,,,,,, desperation has really set in for DQ and the Boy of Surf.

Knapp. 2019 Head Coach of the Atlanta Falcons.

Yes it does.

Steve Spurrier.

Genius in college.  Just another guy in the NFL

Ive seen it time and time again.  Guys with a majority of experience at the collegiate level have a tough time adjusting to the quality of players in the NFL.

Take the worst defense in the NFL and it’s basically a roster of college all stars and top to bottom more athletic than anything college teams see week in and week out.

Quinn royally f’ed up hiring Sark.  He probably thought the talent on offense could compensate for Sarks inexperience.

Unfortunately Quinn’s Going the Mike Smith Brian VanGorder route in 2011 and sticking with him instead of making a chsnge.

PokerSteve, papachaz and Peyton like this

Does NFL experience matter?? Absolutely.

What also matters is coachability, pride/ego, work ethic, etc. 

The real question is, is Sark coachable? Is he willing to accept tough criticism? Is he willing to accept help from someone with expertise like...Knapp? If so, he can make this work. The reality is, every OC in the NFL right now at one point in their life was inexperienced too. You have to start somewhere

kiwifalcon likes this

Well now he has a year’s experience on an NFL playoff team under his belt. Losing the two kids he had at QB coach and QC assistant will help. Knapp will be a huge improvement in getting Matt better equipped for what he needs to do. Matt looked off all year. Everyone looked off and unprepared. Another year separating them from LI will help as well.

kiwifalcon, JDaveG and Osiruz like this

Oh good another sark thread.....in hindsight does it make sense that Quinn brought in Sark? No.

Are we stuck with Sark for 2018 either way? Yes.

Can we move on now?

falcons007 likes this

As far as this whole hiring Knapp is desperation idea. What NFL coach doesn't want to fill his staff with experienced guys? There are former ocs and dcs coaching position players all over the league same with former hcs as coordinaters or position coaches. Assembling the best coaching staff to fit your team is bot desperation.

Vandy likes this

2 hours ago, kschreck said:

As far as this whole hiring Knapp is desperation idea. What NFL coach doesn't want to fill his staff with experienced guys? There are former ocs and dcs coaching position players all over the league same with former hcs as coordinaters or position coaches. Assembling the best coaching staff to fit your team is bot desperation.

Well then, why wasn’t this done last year? Who hired Knapp this year? If DQ and TD why did they wait? If Sark did it , why this year? What not last year? You are wrong when you say Sark was hired to learn and grow..,dude was hired to perform and help win now, not to grow! 

Yes we know Sark is here for another year , we got it!

Please STOP with the Sark sycophants derangement syndrome in trying to convince everyone you’re correct! Those with a different point of view is just as friggen valid! Sheeesh!!!

falcons007, PokerSteve and Peyton like this

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes it does.

Steve Spurrier.

Genius in college.  Just another guy in the NFL

Ive seen it time and time again.  Guys with a majority of experience at the collegiate level have a tough time adjusting to the quality of players in the NFL.

Take the worst defense in the NFL and it’s basically a roster of college all stars and top to bottom more athletic than anything college teams see week in and week out.

Quinn royally f’ed up hiring Sark.  He probably thought the talent on offense could compensate for Sarks inexperience.

Unfortunately Quinn’s Going the Mike Smith Brian VanGorder route in 2011 and sticking with him instead of making a chsnge.

this list could be a long one, right off the top of my head, 

Saban

Pitrino

McKay

Schnellenburger - although he did ok as an OC just not as a HC, so I guess that's not entirely accurate as to the OP

but this list could go a ways

...and- only one NFC rookie OC made it to the playoffs. 

I've never coached a NFL team before but have experienced the chaos and confusion of stressful environments. I would imagine that a play caller needs confidence, communications, and control in the heat of battle.  Rehearsal is sometimes very different than reality.  Only point is we have a 1st year OC who has obviously made mistakes, but are we better off with someone new or giving him a chance to learn from those tough lessons?  I wanted to get rid of KS after his first year but I was wrong. 

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, 11=team said:

...and- only one NFC rookie OC made it to the playoffs. 

Without our defense, we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Defense had to make game-ending goal-line stands in Chicago, Detroit.  I expected a drop off in offensive production, but not this much. We should have been 12-4 or even better.

PokerSteve and roguebeaver like this

9 hours ago, papachaz said:

Saban

Pitrino

McKay

Schnellenburger - although he did ok as an OC just not as a HC, so I guess that's not entirely accurate as to the OP

Yes. NFL is a different beast for coaches or players coming from college. DQ should have had Sark as QB coach for few years in NFL before making him an OC.  Dirk Koetter was one of those few guys who made the NFL offense better as a rookie OC in NFL. 

14 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Does NFL experience matter?? Absolutely.

What also matters is coachability, pride/ego, work ethic, etc. 

The real question is, is Sark coachable? Is he willing to accept tough criticism? Is he willing to accept help from someone with expertise like...Knapp? If so, he can make this work. The reality is, every OC in the NFL right now at one point in their life was inexperienced too. You have to start somewhere

Right.  You start as a Quality Control Coach.  As a Wide Receiver coach.  As a Tight End Coach.  As a QB Coach.

It's extremely rare for any coach to start their career as an OC.

Out of every single play caller in the NFL, Dirk Koetter is the only guy calling plays that came into the NFL as a Coordinator. 

It's a big important job.

I don’t think anyone disputes that NFL experience is important. 

But the list of names being touted left off a notable exception besides Koetter — Jimmy Johnson, who came from college as a HC and proceeded to build a dynasty, and not all that long ago either.

Its important, but it isn’t everything. As I said elsewhere, it’s football, not rocket surgery. 

Just now, JDaveG said:

But the list of names being touted left off a notable exception besides Koetter — Jimmy Johnson, who came from college as a HC and proceeded to build a dynasty, and not all that long ago either.

Its important, but it isn’t everything. As I said elsewhere, it’s football, not rocket surgery. 

Ahhhhhh!!! Logic!?!?!? WHAT IS THIS!?!?!

JDaveG likes this

34 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Even Jimmy Johnson hired an NFL guy, Norv Turner, to run his offense, after his college guy, David Shula, failed miserably.

And last I checked Jimmy Johnson's been out of the league for a long azz time. 

A lot has changed.

Should of made Shanny head coach. DCs are a dime a dozen. Two good cover corners and an elite pass rusher will do more for your defense than a DC. A truly brilliant OC is rare and we let one walk out the door.

11 hours ago, papachaz said:

Saban

Pitrino

McKay

Of course you could counter with Jimmy Johnson. That worked out pretty well. Saban would have been a lot better if he would have been given full control of the team and a decent QB.

JDaveG likes this

2 minutes ago, TNFalcon1 said:

Of course you could counter with Jimmy Johnson. That worked out pretty well. Saban would have been a lot better if he would have been given full control of the team and a decent QB.

You can't counter with Jimmy Johnson because his offense had an experienced NFL coach running it.

And Nick Saban used two very experienced NFL Coordinators in Miami.  His problem was a bad decision at QB.

16 hours ago, Peyton said:

Thank you so much for this post amigo.  You have given the most damming argument against the Sarkisian Hire to date.  Sad that the team is doubling down on their mistake but at least we brought in Knapp.

15 minutes ago, Peyton said:

You can't counter with Jimmy Johnson because his offense had an experienced NFL coach running it.

And Nick Saban used two very experienced NFL Coordinators in Miami.  His problem was a bad decision at QB.

I thought we were talking about NFL experience being important? Just because Norv Turner had experience doesn't mean that it erased JJ's  inexperience does it? 

2 minutes ago, TNFalcon1 said:

I thought we were talking about NFL experience being important? Just because Norv Turner had experience doesn't mean that it erased JJ's  inexperience does it? 

My post is specifically about play callers.  David Shula was Jimmy Johnson's first OC.  His offense finished 2nd to last and then last and he was fired and replaced by an experienced NFL Coach, Norv Turner. 

And anyway, dude's been gone for 20 years, do people really think that is relevant to the current Sarkisian situation?

23 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Why does this theory only apply to offense?