Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JiveAF

Defensive Tackles in upcoming draft.

113 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2018 at 5:25 PM, Birdy Dird said:

We were ranked 9th against the rush in 2016, 13th against the rush in 2017. 

Teams couldn't afford to run on us last year because we were blowing them out. This year not so much.. on a per rush basis they were better than last year. By the end of the year it was night and day.

edit: For some reason I thought this thread was 2 pages and didn't see that this was addressed already, lol.

Birdy Dird and Vandy like this

If we could draft vita vea, I would feel more comfortable letting Poe walk, but even then, I would want to have Poe back just for his veteran presence in the starting unit and have Vea learn how to eat double teams. In 2 years, Vea could then take over as the space eater, and maybe Poe would sign a cheap deal as depth. 

On 1/22/2018 at 5:40 PM, Birdy Dird said:

I’ll spell it out for you. Poe wasn’t the run stuffing monster he used to be before his back trouble. We gave up fewer rushing yards without him in 2016 than we did with him in 2017. Poe was credited with a little more than half the tackles Jarrett got. Poe just wasn’t worth his price tag in my opinion. I hope we move on. 

Your stats are valid, but consider the bigger picture which is how our offense was last year.  Opposing offenses had to try to 'keep up' with our scoring.  Most teams had to abandon the run after the 1st or second quarter.  This contributes to the stats.  

Likewise in 2016 our Defense faced a high number of 4th down attempts and allowed many to succeed.  The reason was teams were in a 'must score' situation so they went for it on 4th down often and rather than give up a TD, we gave up a 1st down which kept them off the scoreboard and consumed more clock.  

This year, we were seldom up by more than 10 points which is a very manageable number for most offenses even into the mid 4th quarter.  They can keep running the ball and be balanced. 

The best defense is a good offense.   

Birdy Dird likes this

On 1/22/2018 at 4:19 PM, osiruz said:

Lol @ the write up on Poe. The guy got blocked by the Eagles TE (burton) on a run play. I doubt he inspires fear in anyone. He is an ok player, the only reason we would want him back is that players progress from year 1 to year 2 in the system but he was a bust last year.

Poe had almost as many pressures as Jarrett in 2017 (25). It was also the second most in a season in his career.

i will take that over you analysis based on one play.

HASHBROWN3 and Vandy like this

On 1/23/2018 at 10:05 AM, Shagpill 2.0 said:

I know it a highlight tape, but the dudes ability to get off blocks is seriously impressive. Just pure strength. He is probably my favorite DL I have checked out so far. so far. 

I just can’t see him dropping to #26. He fits any scheme

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Starting to sound like he could be a top 10-15 guy. Jeremiah has him as the #9 overall prospect this year.

13 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

The more i shift through players- the more he goes up 

8 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Starting to sound like he could be a top 10-15 guy. Jeremiah has him as the #9 overall prospect this year.

Yea top ten is a stretch but 15 to 25 is where i think he will end up, but then again he has plenty of time to boost his stock AND if he kills it at the combine it will be hard to get him staying put at 26. 

5 minutes ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

The more i shift through players- the more he goes up 

Yea top ten is a stretch but 15 to 25 is where i think he will end up, but then again he has plenty of time to boost his stock AND if he kills it at the combine it will be hard to get him staying put at 26. 

True. He’s got great feet and athleticism. I like him much better than Danny Shelton. 

Have you seen the video of him on kick returns?

3 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

True. He’s got great feet and athleticism. I like him much better than Danny Shelton. 

Have you seen the video of him on kick returns?

That is exactly what i was thinking watching him and i think Shelton went 15 or something. Veta's raw strength is just impressive. His floor seems to be pretty high.but then again im drinking the kool-aid with this kid.

11 minutes ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

That is exactly what i was thinking watching him and i think Shelton went 15 or something. Veta's raw strength is just impressive. His floor seems to be pretty high.but then again im drinking the kool-aid with this kid.

Ha ha I’m trying to not drink the Kool-aid on either him or Payne. Easily my one and two DTs in this draft. 

Lemme "Settle" this debate for you guys....

I would take Tim Settle at 26 and not bat an eye.  He's the beast we need next to Grady....

On 1/24/2018 at 9:33 AM, osiruz said:

How is that fair? $8M is game changer money in my books which is how much we are paying Free. He obviously isn't that, he is a liability as a pass rusher, and OK as a run stopper. Could have kept Hage. I am willing to give him one more season as he was learning the scheme.

You got to look at Poe as part of a unit not just individually like alot will do.

First thing I ask is if Poe wasn't any good why did he and Jarrett as a combo play 70-75% of defensive snaps?

DQ obviously wanted this combo on the field as much as possible so they must have been doing something right..Also hence why DQ wanted him down to 330 as his playing weight so he could get the most out of him.

The question like I mentioned earlier in this thread is how important is it to keep Poe and Levitre for continuity upfront both sides.The idea you just fire in Vea as impressive as he is to me is fantasy land thinking there's going to be no growing pains and he's going to transform the defensive front in five minutes.

8 mill you say is a relative number as long as it doesn't effect our future dealings and the new deal if signed doesn't effect the mentioned who cares.

capitan, GeorgiaBoyz, Vandy and 1 other like this

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, osiruz said:

Like most homers you overrated Dontari Poe's effect on the defense. The guy takes alot of plays off, and sometimes allows TEs and Guards to block him one on one. 

You have no idea how to evaluate players....additionally Poe did not take plays off!

Vandy, HASHBROWN3 and 1989Fan like this

On 1/22/2018 at 4:15 PM, Vandy said:

Yes we did, he’s a big reason our D improved from bottom of league in 2016 to top 10 2017. 

No one pays $8M for just a run stuffer. I assume it is safe to say that Poe wasn't as important as the Homers here stated he was.

3 hours ago, osiruz said:

No one pays $8M for just a run stuffer. I assume it is safe to say that Poe wasn't as important as the Homers here stated he was.

BS. Poe was a major reason falcons  D improved. He was our unsung hero, and that ‘run stuffer’ will make in excess of $8M next year. We just don’t have the cap space to do it.

”He did a heck of a job for us. Now he gets to go on the open market and land a lucrative deal”-Dimitroff

http://mobile.atlantafalcons.com/s/31310/327?itemUri=1728208660/137823181123104741465151114

HASHBROWN3 likes this

On 1/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, etherdome said:

I think that after re-structuring Matt Ryan's contract, we should prioritize re-signing Poe and grabbing a FA OG.

Well, there goes my off season plan.  

9 hours ago, Vandy said:

BS. Poe was a major reason falcons  D improved. He was our unsung hero, and that ‘run stuffer’ will make in excess of $8M next year. We just don’t have the cap space to do it.

”He did a heck of a job for us. Now he gets to go on the open market and land a lucrative deal”-Dimitroff

http://mobile.atlantafalcons.com/s/31310/327?itemUri=1728208660/137823181123104741465151114

No he wasn't. If he was he would have been kept. We are keeping only the important pieces like Trufant, Jarret, Beasley, Neal, and Jones. 

40 minutes ago, osiruz said:

No he wasn't. If he was he would have been kept. We are keeping only the important pieces like Trufant, Jarret, Beasley, Neal, and Jones. 

Quit being dumb.

47 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Dude, sometimes I wonder if you just talk BS for the sake of being abrasive & argumentative.

I hope you realize it affects your credibility. You pretend Poe wasn’t a valuable player for our team & everyone on this board understands that he was.

He actually accepted less money to play for DQ last year.  

He stayed healthy & worked his azz off in the trenches doing an admirable job making plays, chewing up blockers, freeing up our LBers, pushing back the LOS & hurrying up the QB’s.

Go pound sand with your vexatious nonsense.

Vandy likes this

18 hours ago, osiruz said:

Second on team in QB pressures.

Vandy likes this