Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JiveAF

Defensive Tackles in upcoming draft.

113 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I write for the guys over at TheFalcoholic if you could give this a quick read. May see some names you already know and that are mostly mentioned, but I'd appreciate your opinion regardless!

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/1/22/16916514/a-falcons-centric-look-at-the-2018-nfl-draft-defensive-tackle-edition

If the Falcons keep Poe. Then Maybe draft a DT that can penetrate and get after the QB. Or let Poe go and bring in a DT that can stuff the middle and shut down the run. Poe did not overly impress me but he did not get taken to the house. If Poe is gone then depending on the other losses on defense the Falcons may need another DT to fill the void. 

If they go after a DT to get after the QB then please get a big LB that can clean up and plays downhill against the run. Speed is nice to have but your speed can run down during a game. Falcons need to add some beef to the recipe. 

Then if they can pick up a free agent guard, and a TE that can catch the ball I would be happy. Just not sure what all will be lost in free agency. 

7 minutes ago, high impact said:

If the Falcons keep Poe. Then Maybe draft a DT that can penetrate and get after the QB. Or let Poe go and bring in a DT that can stuff the middle and shut down the run. Poe did not overly impress me but he did not get taken to the house. If Poe is gone then depending on the other losses on defense the Falcons may need another DT to fill the void. 

If they go after a DT to get after the QB then please get a big LB that can clean up and plays downhill against the run. Speed is nice to have but your speed can run down during a game. Falcons need to add some beef to the recipe. 

Then if they can pick up a free agent guard, and a TE that can catch the ball I would be happy. Just not sure what all will be lost in free agency. 

Poe didn’t impress you because you have no idea what you’re looking at like most . If we lose Poe the defense will regress. You can’t just draft/replace certain pieces on a team and count on them to produce instantly. If we have the money to keep Poe with Grady we should do so. If we don’t thatll be another hole because even with those 2 we still need another good DT in the rotation. Just like we still need another pass rusher to help Vic & Takk . 

619D69F8-FAC0-477E-9ADD-A79B006ACBC0.jpeg

9 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Poe didn’t impress you because you have no idea what you’re looking at like most . If we lose Poe the defense will regress. You can’t just draft/replace certain pieces on a team and count on them to produce instantly. If we have the money to keep Poe with Grady we should do so. If we don’t thatll be another hole because even with those 2 we still need another good DT in the rotation. Just like we still need another pass rusher to help Vic & Takk . 

I did not say I don't like Poe. Don't get me wrong I would like to keep him. Just not sure if the price tag will allow the Falcons to keep him. Get a good deal then sure bring him back. The Falcons can't over pay and still fix the O-line and keep all the free agent players they have to sign back. 

I just don't think it is a good idea to try and build the team through free agency. Got to hit it in the draft. 

At this point I would like to see two DTs, 1 LB on defense. Depending on who we keep. 

Slappywhite and Osiruz like this

Lol @ the write up on Poe. The guy got blocked by the Eagles TE (burton) on a run play. I doubt he inspires fear in anyone. He is an ok player, the only reason we would want him back is that players progress from year 1 to year 2 in the system but he was a bust last year.

Birdy Dird likes this

35 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

619D69F8-FAC0-477E-9ADD-A79B006ACBC0.jpeg

Like most homers you overrated Dontari Poe's effect on the defense. The guy takes alot of plays off, and sometimes allows TEs and Guards to block him one on one. 

MoFalconsFan56 and Birdy Dird like this

1 hour ago, high impact said:

To get the best out of the type of linebackers the Falcons are building around, you have to be strong up front. Also I think Grady would benefit by playing along side a tackle like Vita Vea.

19 minutes ago, Birdy Dird said:

We definitely didn’t get our money’s worth with Poe in my opinion. I’d rather let him walk and spend that 8 million on a good free agent guard or two, then draft the best DT available in round one. 

Yes we did, he’s a big reason our D improved from bottom of league in 2016 to top 10 2017. 

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yes we did, he’s a big reason our D improved from bottom of league in 2016 to top 10 2017. 

How do you think he contributed?

I really hope Payne or especially Vea falls to us. Idk how that’d happen, but they’re both monsters. Vea is maybe the only prospect I wouldn’t be against trading up for if he doesn’t go in the top 20. Of course there are obvious players like Quenton Nelson dropping or Roquan Smith, Minkah Fitzpatrick, etc. that are top 10 players, but Vea’s stock for whatever reason isn’t at a top 10 level from what I’ve read. 

Birdy Dird likes this

2 hours ago, JiveAF said:

Hey guys. I write for the guys over at TheFalcoholic if you could give this a quick read. May see some names you already know and that are mostly mentioned, but I'd appreciate your opinion regardless!

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/1/22/16916514/a-falcons-centric-look-at-the-2018-nfl-draft-defensive-tackle-edition

Nice article and welcome to TATF,  I love Settle and drafted him 2nd in my mock , llke his instincts and has speed for a massive man .  ( drafted Price for OG in 1st )  I believe this allows us to let Poe go and use his money elsewhere , the thought of Grady and Settle together makes me think of havoc .  again , welcome to TATF

Birdy Dird likes this

13 minutes ago, Birdy Dird said:

I’ll spell it out for you. Poe wasn’t the run stuffing monster he used to be before his back trouble. We gave up fewer rushing yards without him in 2016 than we did with him in 2017. Poe was credited with a little more than half the tackles Jarrett got. Poe just wasn’t worth his price tag in my opinion. I hope we move on. 

some of you guys really have no clue what poe’s Role is/was here. 

no1gunna21 likes this

I like Poe I also feel like we definitely need another DT, but if Poe walks I also feel with Grady,Crawford Shelby possibly Rubin or Upshaw returning with a first round pick will be nice. If we get a OG in free agency.

2 hours ago, high impact said:

how much do we give poe?

What do you guys think of Trenton Thompson (UGA)?  His stats fell off this past season but prior to the season he had a problem with opiates (prescribed to him) and left over the summer and maybe even spring which lead to him dropping some weight, that may have led to his subpar play (even though he still played good at times).  I feel like we probably will slip in the draft but think he is in the mold of G Jarrett in that he isn't the biggest DT but has good quickness. 

I'd love to see us get Vita Vea but I feel the only way we get him is if he's available for the 18th pick and we make a trade with Seattle to get him, otherwise Dallas snags him at 19 and I would really love to do another jump in front of Dallas and steal another targeted player from them!   

2 hours ago, Birdy Dird said:

We were ranked 9th against the rush in 2016, 13th against the rush in 2017. 

Teams did throw more against us last year since we were usually scoring 30 and not struggling to reach 20 like this year