Interesting Potential Free Agent Prospects in 2018.

DT: Star Lotulelei, Panthers

(Teams likely interested: Atlanta, Bills, KC, Carolina)

2017: 25 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 4 TFL

Graded as PFF's #109th DL despite being graded much higher in previous years. Could be signed for cheap.

Justin Pugh, OG, Giants

(Teams likely interested: Atlanta, Indianapolis, Miami, Jacksonville)

2017: Limited to just 8 games in 2017.

Was one of the NFL's best guards in 2016 before injury.

Can also play RT (excellent value)

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle

(Teams likely interested: Seattle, NYJ, Buffalo, Detroit)

2017: 44 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 TFLs

Conflicting reports on his desire to re-join Jets

Graded as #27 DL by PFF.

Jimmy Graham, TE, Seattle

(Teams likely interested: Seattle, Baltimore, New Orleans)

2017: 57 receptions, 520 yards, 10TDs (great redzone target)

Used incorrectly in Seattle, definitely not a blocker.

Battled injuries in 2017 despite playing all 16 games.

Andrew Norwell, OG, Carolina

(Teams likely interested: Miami, Indianapolis, Carolina, Atlanta)

All-pro in 2017

Graded as #3 OG by PFF for 2017

26 years old.

Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Los Angeles 

(Teams likely interested: Rams, Chargers, Tampa Bay, Carolina)

49 tackles, 9 PBUs, 3 INTs, 1 FF.

Graded as the 3rd overall safety by PFF.

Can play multiple positions: Strong safety, free safety and nickelback.

Was limited to 12 games this year.

Not all these guys will be free agents, some will be re-signed. Don't comment "x won't be a free agent because y team will sign him" because that's not the point of this thread.

We can (and probably will be) outbid by several teams for all of those FA's.

I'd love to sign Norwell, but it is probably better to discuss more realistic candidates.  Keep in mind that we suffered poor play from the RG position.  I would characterize Wes' play as below average.  

The good news is that an upgrade at RG does not require the best FA on the market.  If we sign an average/above average RG, we will benefit greatly.  

So, who qualifies as average to above average in the RG Free Agent market?

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

I'd love to sign Norwell, but it is probably better to discuss more realistic candidates.  Keep in mind that we suffered poor play from the RG position.  I would characterize Wes' play as below average.  

The good news is that an upgrade at RG does not require the best FA on the market.  If we sign an average/above average RG, we will benefit greatly.  

Your first sentence is right.  Waaaaaay too many teams with so much cap room and many are REQUIRED to spend to get to 90% of cap 

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Richardson and norwell. The only bad thing about signing a DT to big money is that you take away what Jarrett has earned when his time comes

I'd be shocked if both were signed but I think Atlanta will probably pursue at least one of them. TD likes his one big splash signing then a few other good value-signings. I'd see us signing Justin Pugh more than anything.

If we got both though, it's Super Bowl or bust. Because that'd be a huge splash in FA, with the draft having not even arrived yet.

I hear you on cap room, but players still get to pick where they want to play. The same teams always have a ton of cap room and generally have to pay good players like all pros to get them to come there. And they have a lot of cap room because they draft like crap on don’t have to pay their own players second contracts.

5 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I think Pugh would have more value. He was a top-rated guard in 2016, was injured for most of the year in 2017. He'd still be expensive, IMO, but I think he'd be more in our price range.

I am, by no means, an expert, but a quick review of possible free agent OG's reveals a list of pretty darn good candidates.  Here is the one name that caught my eye:

Chris Hubbard (Steelers).  This is a low-profile OL that has been in the league for about 4 seasons.  He is the Steelers' sixth man of the OL.  He has played every position along the line and had to step into the OC position this season.  He did very well.

2 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I am, by no means, an expert, but a quick review of possible free agent OG's reveals a list of pretty darn good candidates.  Here is the one name that caught my eye:Chris Hubbard (Steelers).  This is a low-profile OL that has been in the league for about 4 seasons.  He is the Steelers' sixth man of the OL.  
He has played every position along the line and had to step into the OC position this season.  He did very well.

Wow, a guard and a replacement for Sarkisian? Sign me up.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Your first sentence is right.  Waaaaaay too many teams with so much cap room and many are REQUIRED to spend to get to 90% of cap 

Zeitler, WITHOUT an All-Pro or Pro Bowl selection, went for 5 years $60 million last year....

Now ask yourself if you see the Falcons doing at least that for Andrew Norwell?

That puts a ton of $$$ on the OL for next year, even if we cut Levitre to make the move...and even if we do that, we still have a HUGE hole at the other OG spot.

I think we bring Poe back on a reduced contract, with flexibility. His value doesnt show up in stat sheets, but he was very important in helping our defense in the run game and was still a good pocket collapser at times. Do I think there are guys Id rather have in the draft? Yes, but they wont make it out of the Top 20 in an overall weak draft class. Maybe Star L could be a potential signing instead of Poe, but it would have to be a dramatic difference in price, and I still think Poe is better. Star got the assistance from Short and others to shine more and didnt, IMO

Bring back Poe and look for Josh Kline to be an upgrade at OG seems more likley than what many want which is Norwell and Da'Rone Payne?

12 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Zeitler, WITHOUT an All-Pro or Pro Bowl selection, went for 5 years $60 million last year....

Now ask yourself if you see the Falcons doing at least that for Andrew Norwell?

That puts a ton of $$$ on the OL for next year, even if we cut Levitre to make the move...and even if we do that, we still have a HUGE hole at the other OG spot.

I think we bring Poe back on a reduced contract, with flexibility. His value doesnt show up in stat sheets, but he was very important in helping our defense in the run game and was still a good pocket collapser at times. Do I think there are guys Id rather have in the draft? Yes, but they wont make it out of the Top 20 in an overall weak draft class. Maybe Star L could be a potential signing instead of Poe, but it would have to be a dramatic difference in price, and I still think Poe is better. Star got the assistance from Short and others to shine more and didnt, IMO

Bring back Poe and look for Josh Kline to be an upgrade at OG seems more likley than what many want which is Norwell and Da'Rone Payne?

I agree.   Falcons are not going to spend $10-12mm/yr on a guard.

I believe they will try to find a vet at end of career much like Chris Chester that they could squeeze a couple of years out of and draft an OG in 1st, 2nd or 3rd round.

4 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

DT: Star Lotulelei, Panthers

(Teams likely interested: Atlanta, Bills, KC, Carolina)

2017: 25 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 4 TFL

Graded as PFF's #109th DL despite being graded much higher in previous years. Could be signed for cheap.

Justin Pugh, OG, Giants

(Teams likely interested: Atlanta, Indianapolis, Miami, Jacksonville)

2017: Limited to just 8 games in 2017.

Was one of the NFL's best guards in 2016 before injury.

Can also play RT (excellent value)

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Seattle

(Teams likely interested: Seattle, NYJ, Buffalo, Detroit)

2017: 44 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 TFLs

Conflicting reports on his desire to re-join Jets

Graded as #27 DL by PFF.

Jimmy Graham, TE, Seattle

(Teams likely interested: Seattle, Baltimore, New Orleans)

2017: 57 receptions, 520 yards, 10TDs (great redzone target)

Used incorrectly in Seattle, definitely not a blocker.

Battled injuries in 2017 despite playing all 16 games.

Andrew Norwell, OG, Carolina

(Teams likely interested: Miami, Indianapolis, Carolina, Atlanta)

All-pro in 2017

Graded as #3 OG by PFF for 2017

26 years old.

Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Los Angeles 

(Teams likely interested: Rams, Chargers, Tampa Bay, Carolina)

49 tackles, 9 PBUs, 3 INTs, 1 FF.

Graded as the 3rd overall safety by PFF.

Can play multiple positions: Strong safety, free safety and nickelback.

Was limited to 12 games this year.

Not all these guys will be free agents, some will be re-signed. Don't comment "x won't be a free agent because y team will sign him" because that's not the point of this thread.

Norwell will be priced to high and Carolina will just Franchise him. Joyner gets hurt too much. Pugh wouldn't be a bad idea but we still need another Guard if we're uncertain about Levitre. No more Garland and Sweitzer

5 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I'd be shocked if both were signed but I think Atlanta will probably pursue at least one of them. TD likes his one big splash signing then a few other good value-signings. I'd see us signing Justin Pugh more than anything.

If we got both though, it's Super Bowl or bust. Because that'd be a huge splash in FA, with the draft having not even arrived yet.

Pugh isn't that good and has medical issues like he's 90

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Not FA, but draft talk.  I would love to see us grab Kentavius Street.  He was dominant vs Notre Dame’s OL, is blowing up the East/West Shrine practices & can squat 700 lbs.  current 4th round grade but I’d snag him in 3rd.  His stock will rise quickly

Edited by Falconsin2012
6 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Finally somebody gets it. Pugh makes more sense schematically. He has Falcon written all over him. Can play T in a pinch too. He will be the "splash signing" and retaining Poe will be the other move. 

RG is this team's most glaring weakness.  We simply don't need the greatest OG available to run this offense properly.  We need a good RG.

I think we would see a much better OL if we extend Levitre (assuming his injury is not severe) and sign a guy like Chris Hubbard.  

Hubbard is versatile and represents an upgrade at the RG position.  He is also the 6th-man for Pittsburgh's OL.  The Steelers often all good players leave in free agency.  I think we can sign him for $5M/yr.