Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

State of the Falcons...

12 posts in this topic

So here’s my question. There’s tons of other awesome posters here who understand salary caps, contracts, franchise tags and all the other financial Mumbo jumbo here a lot more than me.  I know as fans we aren’t supposed to care about that stuff but I know that Matt’s contract is priority one. So here it is, with the agent he has I would expect him to have a bigger contract than Stafford and if that’s the case, I see a lot of moves having to be made to keep this team in contention in the future. We’ll have the highest paid qb and I believe the highest paid rb in freeman, which almost guarantees Coleman’s departure. So what happens to Beasley, Jarrett, Alford, Matthews and the other important pieces we have? I honestly believe unless we nail it in the draft, this team is in trouble for the future. I don’t wanna feel that way, but I can’t help but worry. Anyone with more knowledge wanna take a shot at what this team looks like going forward as far as the salary cap and contracts go?

I don't stay on the pulse of the salary cap like some do, but here are my 2 cents:

We have one more year of remaining mostly the same (if we choose to be) before any really hard choices have to be made.  If they extend Ryan, it should free up money to sign either Poe or a top-end guard.  Problem with signing Poe is that we'll need money for some of the other stars on defense and will need to plan ahead to keep the guys we want the most.

The big mystery with our team is what positions will we use our money on.  In today's NFL, you need a philosophy regarding which positions are worth spending money on, and which positions you can try to fill with "value" players.  For example, the Patriots do not spend on WR or RB.  They all ways salvage guys off the scrap heap.  But they do pay their QB (though less than he's worth) and both the offensive and defensive lines. 

I'm not really sure what our philosophy is -- we have a lot of money tied up in the offensive skill positions compared to most teams.  But that is worthless if you don't also have a good oline.  But if you spend on all those pieces, it doesn't leave enough cap space for dominant defensive personnel, and Quinn seems to prefer a defensive approach.  We did pay our CBs, but again I hope we leave some money for the Dline also.

Regarding specific players, here are my thoughts:

FB Coleman was not good so I expect we'll go a different direction there.  I also think we'll add a guard.  The situation with Levitre could dictate adding two of them, but chances are he can recover from injury.

RB Coleman will play out his contract.  I kind of doubt we resign him based on what he'll be worth.  It would just be too much money tied up in the RB position.  It would be smarter to fill that role in the draft.

I don't think we'll extend Matthews this year, unless he is willing to take $8M or so next season in exchange for long term security.  His option year number is like $12M right now, so there would be a $4M immediate savings if we extend him at $8M.  I think we'd want to keep him because he is pretty good, just not great -- but that's better than having a revolving door, in which case we're screwed.

Sanu has no more guaranteed money, so we can cut him with no cap hit if we wanted to.  But unless we get a really strong number 2 WR in here or are desperate for more cap room, I doubt that happens.  But from what I saw from Sanu and Jones, I think drafting another WR in rounds 1 or 2 might be a smart thing.  Kind of like when Roddy first began to decline and we drafted Julio.  Sanu and Julio have both peaked IMO.

Beasley is in a "prove it" year next year.  It didn't work at LB.  It will be interesting to see what happens with both Takk and Beasley rushing from opposite DE spots.  Beasley will need to approach double digit sacks again from the DE spot to justify his long term money.  Again, we can only pay so many guys.  We've already invested in Trufant and Alford, and we will want to lock up Jones before he's in his last year of his contract.  

Sounds like we're extending Matt.  Should free up about $8M next year, but he'll be near $30M per year after that which is really rough.  By comparison, Brady's cap hit is $22M.  Again, if you buy the Ferrari, you have to save enough money to put gas in it, so if we're going to pay all of our offensive stars we need to assemble an offensive line resembling the one we had in 2016 also....

PHALCONABERNATHY likes this

Let Beasley roll after next yr unless he really shows out this yr.....Matt needs to take a step back and say I’ll take less based on my super average performance and use that money toward building a championship team

3 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

So here’s my question. There’s tons of other awesome posters here who understand salary caps, contracts, franchise tags and all the other financial Mumbo jumbo here a lot more than me.  I know as fans we aren’t supposed to care about that stuff but I know that Matt’s contract is priority one. So here it is, with the agent he has I would expect him to have a bigger contract than Stafford and if that’s the case, I see a lot of moves having to be made to keep this team in contention in the future. We’ll have the highest paid qb and I believe the highest paid rb in freeman, which almost guarantees Coleman’s departure. So what happens to Beasley, Jarrett, Alford, Matthews and the other important pieces we have? I honestly believe unless we nail it in the draft, this team is in trouble for the future. I don’t wanna feel that way, but I can’t help but worry. Anyone with more knowledge wanna take a shot at what this team looks like going forward as far as the salary cap and contracts go?

I’ve been saying for 2 years that we CANNOT pay everyone. It’s just the way the NFL works. Lots of big names coming due. That’s why I brought up whether or not we should pay Jake Mathews for being an average left tackle like a top tier Left Tackle he will want to be paid as. (I know they will pay him) I just don’t agree with paying him top $ for being average. If he wants and average deal I’m all for that. 

Alford just got paid so not worried about him. 

When Ryan gets a new deal that will give us some more breathing room cap wise. Hopefully He says I’ve made 160 million plus And decides to sign a team friendly deal in order to allocate funds to other players in hopes to win a super bowl. But not many players operate that ways. 

I don’t care what they say Coleman isn’t getting resigned unless he want to pay for peanuts 

Plus we can cut guys like brooks reed to free up More money 

Another guy is Ricardo Allen. I don’t want to lose him.

Jarrett I think letting him walk when the time comes is out of the question.  

My guess is Beasley will be the odd man out. I just don’t feel like Quinn is crazy about him. I think he was totally miscast this year. I honestly don’t understand at all why they would ever move him away from the DE position. I get that a lot of his sacks came off weaker talent and stunts, but 15 sacks is still 15 sacks and his speed is enough to worry opposing teams. Plus with Takk coming off the other edge like he did that puts a lot of pressure on opposing teams. Then you have Jarrett coming up the gut to pressure the stepping up quarterback. I don’t want beasley to be gone, but I think that’s the big one we are going to let walk similar to what Seattle did with Bruce Irvin 

3 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Honestly bro I think the team is aware that neither Coleman OR Freeman can play a full season. Freeman will be in the concussion protocol by the bye next season and Coleman will have pulled a hammy/quad or ankle. I would rather see Free walk Bc he's one hit from making a business decision on life.

-Jones, Allen, Alford, Jarrett I can say for sure are going nowhere under Quinn.

9 hours ago, Monoxide said:

Freeman is signed long term and isn’t going anywhere for a long time. Tevin is one of my favorite players and has been such a huge tool for us, but sadly I agree that it’s most likely not feasible we re-sign him. With as many long term deals as we will have, a change of pace back expecting starter money is out of the question. Not to mention, he will want to go somewhere in which he is featured. Several teams will pay him handsomely to carry the rock 20 times a game.

Would Freeman have any trade value at this point? Even if just to unload the contract? Serious question. 

9 hours ago, Monoxide said:

Freeman is signed long term and isn’t going anywhere for a long time. Tevin is one of my favorite players and has been such a huge tool for us, but sadly I agree that it’s most likely not feasible we re-sign him. With as many long term deals as we will have, a change of pace back expecting starter money is out of the question. Not to mention, he will want to go somewhere in which he is featured. Several teams will pay him handsomely to carry the rock 20 times a game.

Isn’t Freeman’s contract heavily front loaded? I think the team did this on purpose knowing they needed the cap space for the future guys. 

11 hours ago, osiruz said:

Beasley won't be going anywhere for a long long time. If anything Clayborn, poe, and Reed will be gone way before Beasley. DQ loves him.

How do you figure that? To me it looks like Quinn has tried everything to keep him on the field and its not happening. The guy barely played against the Eagles and think back on crucial situations in the final 6 games of the year and you won't find #44 on the field. Better yet find me a sack from Beasley that was not on a stunt or a QB slips and is first touched by Beasley. Beasley in 2017 was abyssal trying to go man up one-on-one this season...period. Oe thing I don't know and most likely the constant moving of Beasley to LB positions is nobody wants or needs a 230 LB DE on the field against the run, so expect even less playing time if he is a full time DE.

Guy is literally a one trick pony and if that trick ain't producing Beasley is good as gone.

3 hours ago, tony_g_forever said:

How do you figure that? To me it looks like Quinn has tried everything to keep him on the field and its not happening. The guy barely played against the Eagles and think back on crucial situations in the final 6 games of the year and you won't find #44 on the field. Better yet find me a sack from Beasley that was not on a stunt or a QB slips and is first touched by Beasley. Beasley in 2017 was abyssal trying to go man up one-on-one this season...period. Oe thing I don't know and most likely the constant moving of Beasley to LB positions is nobody wants or needs a 230 LB DE on the field against the run, so expect even less playing time if he is a full time DE.

Guy is literally a one trick pony and if that trick ain't producing Beasley is good as gone.

Actually he provided good pressure from the edge this season, and Quinn already said he is a priority player that he really likes. Vic is not going anywhere man. Mark my words.