Why Sark May Not Be *That* Bad

8 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

Most people have an unreasonable expectation to match the numbers and production we put up in 2016.  We caught lightning in a bottle and everything was clicking. 

The same starters across the oline for an entire year had never been done. 

I'll give KS credit for it, but even he would have not matched the 2016 numbers.  With the line play and the wr play in 2017.   

EDIT:  Not to mention the AWFUL FB play.  We missed Dimarco drastically.    

The problem is we were worse than 2015 when it came to scoring in RZ. Honestly, at this point, Sark and the whole offense should look at the problems and address it. The buck stops at Sark, either fixes or gets canned next year. 

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The problem is we were worse than 2015 when it came to scoring in RZ. Honestly, at this point, Sark and the whole offense should look at the problems and address it. The buck stops at Sark, either fixes or gets canned next year. 

Not sure I understand your 2015 reference.  

Better line play, a new FB, and less drops makes your coaching staff look a lot better.  

I'm willing to give him next season (as if my vote matters).  Shanahan's first season was sketchy too.  But red zone or not, the good and bad from Shanahan, IMO are these:

- Good -  2016 - Ryan hit how many different targets over the season?    The ball was spread around so much, the opposing D's couldn't be sure who might get the ball. You double team Julio, and SOMEbody was gonna be open.  This year - not so much.  2017 play calling was pretty predictable I thought.

-  Bad - the decision to try and pass the ball at the end of the SB.  Everyone knows the situation and that pounding the rock, burning clock  and a FGA  was the smart money.  Such a thing as being 'too crafty'

So, maybe, hopefully, Sarkesian will figure some things out for '18.  I hope so.  I remain a Falcon fan, although I am pretty well fed up with the NFL and all the antics.

4 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

Not sure I understand your 2015 reference.  

Better line play, a new FB, and less drops makes your coaching staff look a lot better.  

Falcons scored more RZ % TD in 2015 than in 2017, forget matching 2016. This year was the worst RZ TD scoring % in Matt Ryan era. The falcons had worst lines, worst players than in 2017. Any one surprised Falcons couldn't get it done in the RZ with game on the line. 

1 hour ago, athell said:

Dude, Julio has disappeared in the red zone basically his entire career...this is nothing new.  The knock on him has always been lack of TDs and red zone results.  Just like the Falcons red zone problems.  Just like the Falcons 4th and short problems.  These issues all go back many many years.

Julio would average 10+ TDs a year if he played in NE.

5 hours ago, OC said:

Let me say upfront that I am no Sark apologist. I don’t know the guy personally or anything like that. That said, I know we are all in our feelings because of last Saturday night, but looking at this past season there are some reasons to look up. Here’s where we ranked offensively in a few categories:

Yards per play - 6th

Yards per rush attempt - 12th (which is somewhat misleading because we were .6 yards away from being 1st)

Yards per pass attempt - 6th

Yards per completion- 5th

First Downs per play - 5th

Red Zone Scoring Attempts per Game - 7th

We all know that Sark has his flaws, but the offense has been rolling. If his biggest flaw is preparation (or the lack thereof), that can be fixed. But the base for a good offense is present so there’s reason to hope. Especially if we kill it in the offseason. 

Stats came from:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/

The Falcons’ red-zone efficiency fell from 9th (64.6%) to 23rd with (49.2%). It was a leading cause in our decline. 

5 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

What about red zone scoring? And total points? Yards don’t mean **** if you can’t score. Sarks biggest problem is play design in the red zone.

Red zone performance is as overrated a thing as exists in the league. 

Also, was play design the biggest problem in 2015 when we were 18th in the league in TD% at 54%? Is that marginal 5% from 2015 to 2017 that much of a difference? 

3 hours ago, athell said:

Top 10 for the top offense doesn't mean much to me.  At least last year.  Also, you are not factoring in all the dropped balls, tip ball interceptions, fumbles etc. many of which could have resulted in a TD and that stat looks much different.  It's why you cannot just look at stats alone without context.

It’s the true causation of our ineptitude this year. Not to mention the dumb penalties that negated good plays. 

Another reason why our offense wasn't as successful this year, was the awful returns on KO and punts from our special teams.  Not ready to put it all on Roberts either.  But I was literally praying that the kick-off would reach the end-zone and he would take a knee.     

My list...

1.  FB stunk 

2. Inconsistent WR play 

3. Inconsistent line play

4.  Poor starting field position (Special teams)

5.  Sark's first year 

3 hours ago, revrndzombie said:

"not that bad" is not a slogan I want with anyone on the team.

Also, didn't Harrington and Petrino move the ball pretty well until they hit the opponents side of the field. 

The 2007 Falcons were:

28th in points per drive
27th in plays per drive
26th in yards per drive
29th in time per drive
28th in % of drives ending in a score
21st in yards per play

So no. They didnt. They were awful. 

36 minutes ago, TexasFalcon4Life said:

Not to mention getting off the field on defense. Way too many 3rd and long completions for 1st downs. Also, they had dumb penalties negating TOs. 

NOT ALLOWED TO DISCUSS THIS! THIS WAS A TOP TEN DEFENSE! (allegedly)

Thankfully, the defense finished the second consecutive season on a strong note. HOPEFULLY that can carry over to next year and create more and better opportunities for the offense. 

3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

1) Red zone scoring is fairly volatile and not all that well correlated to success

2) We were marginally worse (less than 5% difference). 

3) We were better on total points per drive than we were in 2015. 

I'm certain the FO and coaching staff will conduct extensive self analysis this offseason. I'm sure they'll take steps to rectify problems. 

The one thing I do miss is Matt Ryan's come from behind wins. It felt like 08-12 that's all he did was come from behind and win games. How many times did we have the ball at the end of game this year with a chance to win (Buf/Mia/Min/Phi) and we lost all of those games. Not blaming one person but I miss those come from behinds. Just to name a few I can think of (Bears/Ravens/Panthers/Seahawks) those were some huge signature wins I just don't think we really had that this year.

But ... what really matters is the playoffs. Yes, the O was good enough to win 10 games (even 14 with a little more luck and fewer mistakes). 

But who cares? We weren't good enough to get to the Bowl. And that's what we need to be shooting for.

Last year, in the playoffs, we were world class (without the happy ending, of course). This year, in the playoffs, we were hoping to eek by as long as possible, but we were not world beaters.

5 hours ago, rh50 said:

The one thing I do miss is Matt Ryan's come from behind wins. It felt like 08-12 that's all he did was come from behind and win games. How many times did we have the ball at the end of game this year with a chance to win (Buf/Mia/Min/Phi) and we lost all of those games. Not blaming one person but I miss those come from behinds. Just to name a few I can think of (Bears/Ravens/Panthers/Seahawks) those were some huge signature wins I just don't think we really had that this year.

Yep when Matt is in control and has the feel he likes he’s a comeback machine. Something is definitely off 

6 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

NOT ALLOWED TO DISCUSS THIS! THIS WAS A TOP TEN DEFENSE! (allegedly)

Thankfully, the defense finished the second consecutive season on a strong note. HOPEFULLY that can carry over to next year and create more and better opportunities for the offense. 

They will only get better. I do love the direction they’re headed in. 

No one is.No true Scotsman right? Really, its all perspective. I'm not a fan of Duke Riley as a player, but I love dude. Is it because he struggled, or because I wanted someone else? If you said "Its because you wanted Eddie Jackson and had Riley under a microscope" you wouldn't be wrong, but still wouldn't be 100% correct. 

We as fans have expectations. Not all are bad, not all are good. I am a huge fan of the DL and safety positions. Not sure which I like most. I love turnovers and defensive plays being made. Its my thing. I like mobile QB's so I didn't like Ryan. Now I love him, even though I DID in fact like Case Keenum in 2012, was booed for wanting him here, but also nearly lost it when we didn't take Russell Wilson. I like break your neck bruising RB's, so I made a case against Freeman. It happens. Mocked Tevin Coleman though instead of David Johnson (??? do what???), I love bone shattering FB's...who can catch (The Larry Centers syndrome) so I wanted DiMarco gone (Wanted Kyle Juzshysname), I hoped we would somehow get Julio Jones, but complained at trading so much. Most don't know I wanted to sign Patterson last year thinking Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Patterson was way more potent than Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Hardy. I like Hooper, but would have liked a ton of guys who were already gone. LOL. I'm against drafting OL for the most part, but there are some I really like. Fun fact, did you know we have over $100mil invested in the offense and $50 mil invested in defense? Just a thought.

The truth is, we have preferences and they are not the same. We can all agree the playcalling was sometimes questionable, but after speaking with people that know far more than I ever will, I have found its far more difficult to build an offense around players, than it is to go with your own players and offense. It could easily be an offensive draft, I could be wrong though. 

Sark was bad, but maybe not as bad as we all think. Kind of like Beasley who isn't as bad as some here think, Clayborn, Poe, Riley, Alford, Neal, Allen, and so on. Its how we perceive things based on our expectations. That's actually not unfair, the narratives are unfair, fans will fan. So love or hate Sark, he's here next seasons and we just have to hope something works out that we will have the team we believe we deserve.

13 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Red zone performance is as overrated a thing as exists in the league. 

Also, was play design the biggest problem in 2015 when we were 18th in the league in TD% at 54%? Is that marginal 5% from 2015 to 2017 that much of a difference? 

Not sure I can get on board with the ability to get 7 points instead of 3 being overrated.