After ridiculous year-end press conference - let's face it - it's only us fans that overachieved and overexecuted this year.

Nobody today wants to admit they made a mistake - Dan Quinn should have learned offense from first game at Chicago - realizing something was wrong and step in so that by mid-season he was up to speed.

I like Quinn but maybe he's not Head Coach material - he's not working smart enough - and is really just at the level of being a good defensive co-ordinator.

By keeping the self-defeating Sarkasian - Dan Quinn will probably not be doing the year-end press conference next year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dq really needs to evolve I think it's the best word. Not necessarily scheme but I feel like he's still stuck at OC level. Yes he's taken over the team but it doesn't seem like he's really became a head coach. He doesn't 'put his foot down' but instead gives his plan to the ocs and lives with the results. He didn't step in and run in the sb, his time management is lacking, and he didn't take the reigns or more influence from Sark. He vastly improved this team and culture in just a few years but there is room for improvement for sure

3 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Stupid thread. In 3 years Quinn has taken the Falcons to the playoffs 2 out of the 3 years...with a Superbowl appearance in one year and playoff wins in both of the playoff-appearance years.

I definitely have my doubts about Sark going forward. I have very few doubts about Quinn. The line about Quinn "maybe he's not Head Coach material" is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on this message board, and that's saying something.

If Blank was ignorant enough to fire Quinn he'd be hired by another team before the week was over.

Thank goodness Blank is a helluva lot smarter than the post of the OP indicates he is.<_<

Not so fast my friend.  The OP has a point.  He may not be Head Coach Material.  When you lose a lot of close game that you should have won, and vice versa.  It's usually a problem with coaching.  It's not like Quinn has been given a Yugo, and told to win a race.

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Not so fast my friend.  The OP has a point.  He may not be Head Coach Material.  When you lose a lot of close game that you should have won, and vice versa.  It's usually a problem with coaching.  It's not like Quinn has been given a Yugo, and told to win a race.

He's not DC level either. His scouting and player evaluation alone makes him a HC. I just think his thought process can be too aggressive for his own good sometimes.

2 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

I’m not gonna lie, the end season presser didn’t go over well with me and left me more concerned than anything.  

Don't let it concern you.  Pressers are fluff pieces with no real substance behind them.  It is the ultimate coach and player speak over and over and over as they recite cliche after cliche.  Take this time to unwind from the stress of the season and enjoy the peace and quiet because stressful Falcon football will be back before you know it!

32 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Dq really needs to evolve I think it's the best word. Not necessarily scheme but I feel like he's still stuck at OC level. Yes he's taken over the team but it doesn't seem like he's really became a head coach. He doesn't 'put his foot down' but instead gives his plan to the ocs and lives with the results. He didn't step in and run in the sb, his time management is lacking, and he didn't take the reigns or more influence from Sark. He vastly improved this team and culture in just a few years but there is room for improvement for sure

^^^dude you have bumped your head. You lost me at "Not necessarily scheme but I feel like he's still stuck at OC level". You forget the downward spiral we were in the two seasons before he came on board(Back to back losing seasons). He is turning us into a perennial playoff team. Something the Falcons have NEVER truly been. Sure he will have growing pains as Head coach, because he is in his 3rd freaking year at it. I was one of those people who wanted Shanny gone after his first year and I learned you have to be patient when installing a new offense. 

13 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

The OP has a petty point at best. Quinn is head coach material and if you think other wise then, well ya crazy. Winning in the NFL is hard regardless of who you are playing. There is a reason you play the actual game and not just look at the rosters and say "they win because they are better team on paper". And to say Quinn didn't get a Yugo. you must forget the pile of trash that Mike Smith left us with. Our defense was beyond trash and the offense was a hollow shell with the wheels falling off. 

46 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Stupid thread. In 3 years Quinn has taken the Falcons to the playoffs 2 out of the 3 years...with a Superbowl appearance in one year and playoff wins in both of the playoff-appearance years.

I definitely have my doubts about Sark going forward. I have very few doubts about Quinn. The line about Quinn "maybe he's not Head Coach material" is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen on this message board, and that's saying something.

If Blank was ignorant enough to fire Quinn he'd be hired by another team before the week was over.

Thank goodness Blank is a helluva lot smarter than the post of the OP indicates he is.<_<

Lol this^^^^

On 1/19/2018 at 9:21 AM, Faithful Falcon said:

You do realize our win totals before he arrived were 10 over the previous two years?  That isn't a Yugo?  

If the next point from there is, the roster is loaded with talent, we all know that he's been heavily involved in bringing the players that we have.  So he must be given some of the credit for that as well. 

He's averaging 9.67 wins per season in his first three years as a head coach with 3 playoff wins and a SB appearance.  2016 was a magical season and we were all bound to feel let down after the way last year ended.

I'm not saying the guy's been perfect or anywhere close and he and his staff have a lot of work to do this off-season but do people fail to realize that 4 of 12 playoffs teams last year made it in this year.  33%  

One year's success does not mean anything at all the next season.  The best you can do is retool each off season, learn from the previous year and try to get back to the playoffs to give yourself a shot at a SB.

13 minutes ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

^^^dude you have bumped your head. You lost me at "Not necessarily scheme but I feel like he's still stuck at OC level". You forget the downward spiral we were in the two seasons before he came on board(Back to back losing seasons). He is turning us into a perennial playoff team. Something the Falcons have NEVER truly been. Sure he will have growing pains as Head coach, because he is in his 3rd freaking year at it. I was one of those people who wanted Shanny gone after his first year and I learned you have to be patient when installing a new offense. 

The OP has a petty point at best. Quinn is head coach material and if you think other wise then, well ya crazy. Winning in the NFL is hard regardless of who you are playing. There is a reason you play the actual game and not just look at the rosters and say "they win because they are better team on paper". And to say Quinn didn't get a Yugo. you must forget the pile of trash that Mike Smith left us with. Our defense was beyond trash and the offense was a hollow shell with the wheels falling off. 

I said exactly that, he doesn't need to change scheme but take more control. And then followed that up by ending my post by saying he's transformed us greatly in the few years. But if you're satisfied with that and don't think any player of coach can improve you my friend have bumped your head.. 

If DQ took over the mic and told Shanny to stop tryna be cute and run, after losing to the Patriots,we would have a ring. If he didn't put Sark I'm the pit himself we might of had different results in crunch time. It seems like he refuses to be the fault of the offense

2 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

I said exactly that, he doesn't need to change scheme but take more control. And then followed that up by ending my post by saying he's transformed us greatly in the few years. But if you're satisfied with that and don't think any player of coach can improve you my friend have bumped your head.. 

If DQ took over the mic and told Shanny to stop tryna be cute and run, after losing to the Patriots,we would have a ring. If he didn't put Sark I'm the pit himself we might of had different results in crunch time. It seems like he refuses to be the fault of the offense

No one is saying that they can't improve. DQ said himself that he is learning with every game. What else can you ask for? It's not like he is saying things and not producing. We lost to a very decent team- on the road- after playing another team- on the road. It didn't go our way- stop crying. Also, your last sentence didn't make sense. 

1 minute ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

No one is saying that they can't improve. DQ said himself that he is learning with every game. What else can you ask for? It's not like he is saying things and not producing. We lost to a very decent team- on the road- after playing another team- on the road. It didn't go our way- stop crying. Also, your last sentence didn't make sense. 

So then what is the need for your response if we made the same point, inevitably there is room for improvement. And we lost because we got out coached because our oc didn't have the experience or ability to scheme properly or watch previous successful game plans that beat their match ups.. 

And dq refuses to take fault for our offense? Exactly what I said in the first post, he'd rather give then his idea and philosophy and have Sark implement it. And if it doesn't work then it's on the oc, instead of a coach like Mike in gb who's gone back and forth taking over the play calling if he felt it wasn't flowing right offensively. If your rookie oc is struggling give him help.. 

Dan Quinn is not head coach material?

That's insane.  No, he's not perfect, but who is?  HeII, Bill Belichick is the greatest head coach in history, and he still makes mistakes.  Everyone on earth makes mistakes, and everyone has weaknesses.  That doesn't mean they're not capable.  It just means they're human.  And in the NFL, the dumbest thing you can do is panic with your personnel.  Changing coaches is usually like dropping a bomb.  Everything around the team is blown up, then you have to rebuild. 

For anyone who thinks Quinn is not good enough to be head coach, just tell us....who would you put in his place? 

edit:  But I still say get rid of Sark.  Now. 

54 minutes ago, kschreck said:

You do realize our win totals before he arrived were 10 over the previous two years before he arrived right?  That isn't a Yugo?  

If the next point from there is, the roster is loaded with talent, we all know that he's been heavily involved in bringing the players that we have.  So he must be given some of the credit for that as well. 

He's averaging 9.67 wins per season in his first three years as a head coach with 3 playoff wins and a SB appearance.  We won 2016 was a magical season and we were all bound to feel let down after the way last year ended.

I'm not saying the guy's been perfect or anywhere close and he and his staff have a lot of work to do this off-season but do people fail to realize that 4 of 12 playoffs teams last year made it in this year.  33%  

One year's success does not mean anything at all the next season.  The best you can do is retool each off season, learn from the previous year and try to get back to the playoffs to give yourself a shot at a SB.

Quinn already had his Franchise QB in his prime. Super Star play maker at WR. He made the decision to not resign an unknown TE by the name of Tony Gonzalez. This team was three years removed from the NFC Championship game.  He had a Ferrari that needed a tuneup. 

Now wait just a minute...from where we came from he is doing  darn good job. He has stuff that he has to work on but I'm not willing to let him go. I can't remember when we had a top ten defense. He is the one who hired Shanny. I think we all are still a bit emotional from this playoffs loss but I do believe we are headed in the right direction. Please remember we had nine new coaches this year!

35 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Quinn already had his Franchise QB in his prime. Super Star play maker at WR. He made the decision to not resign an unknown TE by the name of Tony Gonzalez. This team was three years removed from the NFC Championship game.  He had a Ferrari that needed a tuneup. 

Cool let's not give him credit for what he's accomplished, only focus on the negative and go to an extreme saying he isn't head coach material because he had a "down" year.  You know 10 wins plus a road playoff victory.

You guys are too much.

Why people feel the need to go to either one extreme or the other instead of considering the whole picture is beyond me. 

3 hours ago, parmenion said:

Nobody today wants to admit they made a mistake - Dan Quinn should have learned offense from first game at Chicago - realizing something was wrong and step in so that by mid-season he was up to speed.

I like Quinn but maybe he's not Head Coach material - he's not working smart enough - and is really just at the level of being a good defensive co-ordinator.

By keeping the self-defeating Sarkasian - Dan Quinn will probably not be doing the year-end press conference next year.

This is true.  I do think they don't want to admit they got it wrong.  Under executed vs underachieved.  Those sound like the same thing to me.  Just fall on your sword and say we screwed up.  We all saw it and know why things were bad.  Sure there is blame on the players part as well as coaching.  The coaching has to be better.