What I'd like to see this off-season. A quick mock

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, WiscoFalcon said:

Did you watch our OG's this season? 

I did and yes we need to get better at the position, but spending $10m per year on a FA and then spending 2 1st's and a 2nd on the position is overkill don't you think? Good teams aren't built that way.

There's also no guarantee that Nelson is as good as some are projecting. The last 3 guards to go top 10 are Chance Warmack, Jonathan Cooper and Brandon Scherff, with only the latter playing up to his draft slot. You look around the league, good interior lineman can be found throughout the draft, Norwell himself was an UDFA. 

I'd much rather take a shot on someone like Frank Ragnow in the middle rounds, who's been every bit as dominant as Nelson in college.

In terms of free agents, I don't think Norwell is a great fit. The Panthers don't run a lot of zone and he's not much of an athlete. I think spending the money he's going to command would be a huge risk. I'd rather take a risk on someone like Chris Hubbard.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Stopped reading at cut Levitre. The line is already garbage with out Levitre, and you want to add another hole along with RG. I would be very surprised if Levitre is released unless its injury related. 

You should have kept reading.... because he signs an All Pro and drafts a generational talent at guard immediately after

5 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

You should have kept reading.... because he signs an All Pro and drafts a generational talent at guard immediately after

Falcons can't afford to trade up to top 10-15 to get a generation Guard and pay 13-15 M to another guard in the FA. Levitre held up his side pretty well, I would roll with either a FA guard or a Guard in first(Trade up for Nelson) two rounds. This team needs talent at DT too, especially if all the money goes to sign a top OG in FA. 

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons can't afford to trade up to top 10-15 to get a generation Guard and pay 13-15 M to another guard in the FA. Levitre held up his side pretty well, I would roll with either a FA guard or a Guard in first(Trade up for Nelson) two rounds. This team needs talent at DT too, especially if all the money goes to sign a top OG in FA. 

OK?

Your OP had nothing to do with those concerns. You simply complained about the OL being weak if the Falcons cut Levitre. In this mock he makes the OL ridiculously good compared to this year, regardless of what it costs.

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

OK?

Your OP had nothing to do with those concerns. You simply complained about the OL being weak if the Falcons cut Levitre. In this mock he makes the OL ridiculously good compared to this year, regardless of what it costs.

My comment was why make an hole when its not there. I can day dream to get every best player in FA and draft. That doesn't mean its happening. A realistic scenario is keep the LG, go for best RG. And Falcons need to look at some one like Ansah at DE. 

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

You are right.   The most likely scenario is that we extend Levitre and sign another OG in FA.  While Pugh and Norwell are at the top of everyone's list, frugality will force us to look for another vet to get the job done. 

I would love to get a murders' row of OL's, but the cap will not permit that.  Keep this in mind, our RG play has been so bad that any above average RG will look like a star.  

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Stopped reading at cut Levitre. The line is already garbage with out Levitre, and you want to add another hole along with RG. I would be very surprised if Levitre is released unless its injury related. 

My EXACT thoughts!

We had a hard time doing anything with Garland in there at LG, and Wes is just not it at RG.  Also trading up for a guard is a serious reach...especially into the top 10.  You normally see LT's go in the top 10, not too often do you see guards go that early.

10 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

My EXACT thoughts!

We had a hard time doing anything with Garland in there at LG, and Wes is just not it at RG.  Also trading up for a guard is a serious reach...especially into the top 10.  You normally see LT's go in the top 10, not too often do you see guards go that early.

It's not often that guards like Nelson come around. There's a major lack of interior OL talent coming into the nfl right now. 

2 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

I say yea. Dude get's a pancake every other play. He would put the Harvey Dahl back in our team as far as attitude.

If Nelson is that good, go for it.  We need a great line, not a good line.  I don't know about all the trading, but we definitely have a need for quality players at skill positions on the o-line and d-line.  I would like to secure a GREAT o- line for the remaining years Matt has left and by doing so we could possibly extend the number of years Matt has left.

15 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

What do you think of the trade? It's hard to swallow for a guard, but I think guards are gaining importance with the amount of dominant DT's in the league currently.

Two firsts and a second? For a guard? Hail naw.

More is better. We learned that with JulioIsCoolio. Kinda move Dimi would make though.

Three high picks for a guard with Dimi choosing the guard? Naw bro.

2 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

My EXACT thoughts!

Guard in FA and a tackle in the first. (simple)

15 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You can’t mortgage that much for a guard. A 1st & 2nd  seems too costly IMO.  This is the kind of move that GM’s & HC’s get fired for

Guards drafted in top-10 are rare and the results so-so.  The only 2 in the past 10 years came out of the same draft:

Jonathan Cooper - 7th

Chance Warmack - 10th

Brandon Scherff - 5th

2x Pro Bowler.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It's kinda weird that so many people are convinced Schweitzer/Garland arent/cant be serviceable guards given the fact that our performance on interior run plays over the course of the season was so strong. 

My thoughts on Garland are that he's good for depth, but that's it.

He's like the Jason Snelling of O-linemen. He shows good versatility w/ ability to fill in at either G spot or even C. He's a guy who can get you by from a game or two if you're in a pinch, but he's not a long-term solution as a starter. Being that he's 29 years old, I can't imagine he's got anything more than that in him.

A decent backup is his ceiling IMO. I like him for that & would be fine with him coming back in that role, but he's not the answer if we're talking about finding a starter.

I thought Wes struggled early on & that should've been expected. After all, we're talking about a 6th round pick who sat on the bench for a year and was getting his first taste of the NFL. While he still had issues against better teams who knew to go after him, he did seem to progress a bit as the season went along. So that was encouraging, and perhaps with another offseason under his belt he can turn it on in year three. I'm not holding my breath though as I'm still somewhat skeptical he'll ever be a consistently solid starter. I think you at least need to bring in someone who can seriously compete with him for the spot. If he beats them out then good... it means he likely is blossoming into a solid RG. If that other player gets the nod over him, at least he provides solid depth with valuable in-game experience. It's a win/win situation to bring in someone to compete for RG IMO.