What I'd like to see this off-season. A quick mock

I tend to do mock off-seasons when I'm bored occasionally and I wanted to share this one.

Current cap space: 17 mil

Cuts

LG Andy Levitre (+7 mil) - Average LG at an above average price. Sark also has a lot more 'downhill' type runs that he likes to run and I think our line is just a little too finesse for that.

DE Brooks Reed (+4.5 mil - June 1st) - Odd man out. Takk is going to be playing much more next year and Beasley is moving back to full time DE. We need the money elsewhere.

Updated cap space: 28.5 mil

Contract Extensions

QB Matt Ryan - This is coming. It should save us a bit of money this off-season as he's currently a 22 mil cap hit right now.

LT Jake Matthews - No, he's not a world beater, but he's going to be re-signed. I don't think it's going to cost absolute top dollar either. Cap hit this year should shrink significantly. Currently a 12 mil cap hit.

I'm going to estimate that these two extensions will save us roughly 10-12 mil this year.

Updated cap space: 38.5 mil

Re-signings

DT Dontari Poe - I think he likes it here and will end up signing for roughly what he played for this year which was around 8 mil. We can't afford to lose anymore DT depth.

DE Adrian Clayborn - Same deal as Poe. He likes it here. He signed multiple short contracts to stick around. I think he signs another.

K Matt Bryant - Can't lose our MVP.

FS Ricardo Allen - He's a RFA. 1st round tender costs us 4.1 mil. Long term deal is a possibility

G Ben Garland - I don't think he played his way to a big contract from anybody so we bring him back as solid depth (hopefully)

RB Terron Ward - Don't know why people want a power back when we have one. We don't have a power line...

Again, going to estimate here. Poe will be roughly 6-8 mil, clayborn 5 mil, bryant 3 mil, Rico 4 mil, Garland and Ward 2 mil

Updated cap space: 18-20 mil

Free Agency

LG Andrew Norwell - It's time to get serious about the OL. I'm talking Cowboys here.

TE Trey Burton - Excellent red-zone target. Well rounded TE. Above average pass catcher and run blocker. Bring those 2-3 TE sets back.

LB Zach Brown - Another LB with 4.5 speed. He can play all 3 LB spots. Instant upgrade weakside while Riley develops

This free agency should be attainable with the cap space available. Norwell is going to get a 10 mil a yr contract most likey, Trey and Zach will be in the 3-5 mil range each.

2018 NFL draft

We have a motherf#$%ing trade!

Thomas Dimitroff calls up his good buddy Kyle Shannahan over in San Fran and says, "You remember that time I gave Cleveland all of those picks and then they blew it?? Would you like to show em how it's done?? Kyle jumps at the chance to get the ammo he needs to build the 49ers in his vision.

The Atlanta Falcons trade #26, 2018 2nd rounder, 2019 1st rounder to the San Francisco 49ers. The Falcons receive #9 overall and 2018 5th rounder

The Atlanta Falcons select OG Quenton Nelson

Absolutely dominating blocker in college. The safest pick in the draft according to maybe. Said to be a better prospect than Logan Mankins......and he just got paired with Mack and Norwell right in the middle of our line!

Round 3 CB Tarvus Mcfadden

I like Poole, but he's a liability in coverage. Mcfadden has great size at 6'2'' and is excellent in press-man. The idea would be to get him to the outside and let Alford play the slot where he can use his playmaking ability better.

Round 4 FB Dimitri Flowers

Get the theme here? Dimitri is a lot like Dimarco in the way that he's just as good a receiver as blocker. Anything is better than Coleman, right?

Round 5 WR Jake Wieneke

We need red zone targets. This guy is 6'4'' and dominated his conference with 16 TDs. I'm pretty sure he holds his conferences record for TDs.

Round 6 DT Lowell Lotulelei

Quinn has a thing for bloodlines. This is Star's bro.

What we have here would be the most destructive interior OL the NFL has ever seen. I have just countered all of those teams with extremely strong DT's that we played this year and will likely play in the future.

I've set Sark up to POUND THE **** ROCK. Sark IS a creative play caller in the running game if nothing else.

It's probably wishful thinking, but it's still realistic.....

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the concept a lot.  Just wouldn't do the trade.

Would get the FA OG like you, and would take DT, OG in 1st 2 rounds.  We should be able to get a good OG in round 2.   Would even be ok keeping Levitre if he's on a short contract.

Then we still could pick WR and TE in the 3rd and 4th, and we've improved our offense dramatically, while still improving the D with what will make the biggest difference, dominating trench warfare.

10 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I like the concept a lot.  Just wouldn't do the trade.

Would get the FA OG like you, and would take DT, OG in 1st 2 rounds.  We should be able to get a good OG in round 2.   Would even be ok keeping Levitre if he's on a short contract.

Then we still could pick WR and TE in the 3rd and 4th, and we've improved our offense dramatically, while still improving the D with what will make the biggest difference, dominating trench warfare.

I'm not opposed to DT in the 1st instead of the trade, but I'd prefer a dominant interior OL, especially after what we seen in the playoffs with stout DT's. We could easily see those two teams next year.

If we went DT in the 1st in this scenario he'd be the 3rd guy in a rotation. Our starters are near tops in the league. I'd just prefer a dominating interior to deal with the likes of Fletcher, Donald, ect.

Might have to settle for

Name: Will Hernandez 
College: Texas-El Paso     Number: 76
Height: 6-3   Weight: 330 
Position: OG  Pos2: 
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2018

40 Low: 5.26
   40 Time: 5.54
  40 High: 5.72 
Projected Round: 1-2  Stock: same.gif    
Rated number 2 out of 168 OG's     31 / 2373 TOTAL

litle bit of a reach but its a need position, maybe a trade back and get more picks

5 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

Might have to settle for

Name: Will Hernandez 
College: Texas-El Paso     Number: 76
Height: 6-3   Weight: 330 
Position: OG  Pos2: 
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2018

40 Low: 5.26
   40 Time: 5.54
  40 High: 5.72 
Projected Round: 1-2  Stock: same.gif    
Rated number 2 out of 168 OG's     31 / 2373 TOTAL

litle bit of a reach but its a need position, maybe a trade back and get more picks

Maybe. It's possible this guy will go higher than 9. In that case take the best DT or OG available rounds 1 and 2 unless something crazy happens.

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

What do you think of the trade? It's hard to swallow for a guard, but I think guards are gaining importance with the amount of dominant DT's in the league currently.

I like the mock but I hate giving up the picks. If we did it I'd want to add Ballage (RB) and either DE or DT.

You can’t mortgage that much for a guard. A 1st & 2nd  seems too costly IMO.  This is the kind of move that GM’s & HC’s get fired for

Guards drafted in top-10 are rare and the results so-so.  The only 2 in the past 10 years came out of the same draft:

Jonathan Cooper - 7th

Chance Warmack - 10th

Edited by Falconsin2012

18 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You can’t mortgage that much for a guard. A 1st & 2nd  seems too costly IMO.  This is the kind of move that GM’s & HC’s get fired for

Guards drafted in top-10 are rare and the results so-so.  The only 2 in the past 10 years came out of the same draft:

Jonathan Cooper - 7th

Chance Warmack - 10th

The past has nothing to do with the future.

I doubt a move like this has ever been made. It's a direct counter to what hurt us in the post season. Dominating Dts.

I kinda think you are getting way too fixated on one area. Yes, we need to upgrade RG, but we don't need to mortgage the farm to do it.

The reality is this:
We got to the Super Bowl last year with Levitre and an 'end of the line' Chris Chester at OG
We got to the second round of the playoffs this year with Levitre & a 6th round pick who redshirted his rookie year.
We lost that game against the Eagles with Wes & Garland at OG, but even then we were actually in it until the very end.

We don't need to spend all of our cap room & trade away prime pick in  two drafts chasing some fantasy of having the top 2 guards on Earth just because one of the better defenses played well against a backup & a guy who really should be a backup. Yes, there's room for improvement, especially at RG. However we don't need the best ever, we just need better.

Personally, I'd much rather see it play out like this:
- Extend Levitre to lower his cap number & continue to groom Harlow to eventually replace him
- Take a shot on Norwell in FA, and if he wants a king's ransom, we look elsewhere
- Depending on what happens in FA, we'd have all of our draft picks to build both lines & depth at other positions

The very reason you choose to run an outside zone blocking scheme (like we run) is so that you don't have to pay premium OL's at every position. Especially Guards. Team's that run power blocking schemes have to pay those guys. That's not us. 

As k-train pointed out, we got to the Super Bowl in 2016 and had the 7th greatest offense in history with Levitre and an over the hill Chester at the OG's. We just need average to above average OG play in the future, but more importantly we need an offensive coordinator that doesn't suck. In 2017 we got away from primarily running outside zone runs married to play actions and bootlegs designed to appear blocked the same way. That killed the effectiveness of a lot of what we should be wanting to do up front.

Hopefully with a season in the scheme and getting to evaluate what and why things didn't work, Sark won't suck so bad and will realize why he needs to use those concepts more -- and one of the big reasons is to take pressure off your OL.

No way do I wan't us to spend big free agent money on an OG, and definitely no way in heck do I want us to mortgage the farm to move up for a freaking OG. You don't draft OG's in the 1st round, period. Not unless you want to be the Browns. Good teams don't do it, it's a waste of resources. And you sure as heck don't trade up for them. Don't forget we've been developing Harlow for a year. We don't know if he might be ready to compete for a starting position next year or not.

That being said, I have no problem paying your LT and your Center since those are still the two most important positions on the OL. We paid Mack and it was worth it. We're about to pay Matthews, and it will be worth it. He graded out as the 8th best LT this season. He's in line to get a contract in the vicinity of 5 years and $55-60 million total including a $10-12 million signing bonus (an average of $11-12M per year).

But in round 1, give me a DL, LB, or FS.

Round 2, maybe an OG, or a TE, if not then hit up the Round 1 options again.

Round 3 I want a RB. There is going to be ridiculous value at RB still on the board at the end of round 3, and Coleman is going into his final season with us.

Edited by RandomFan

Good work but I don't like your DRAFT. I'm on the fence about Poe. Is he worth 8 -10 mil? I want Tevin Coleman back. I would explore bringing Hageman back at a million and draft Payne or Vil and get just as much production for half the price. I don't think Duke Riley is ready but I think DQ will force the issue.

7 hours ago, RandomFan said:

The very reason you choose to run an outside zone blocking scheme (like we run) is so that you don't have to pay premium OL's at every position. Especially Guards. Team's that run power blocking schemes have to pay those guys. That's not us. 

As k-train pointed out, we got to the Super Bowl in 2016 and had the 7th greatest offense in history with Levitre and an over the hill Chester at the OG's. We just need average to above average OG play in the future, but more importantly we need an offensive coordinator that doesn't suck. In 2017 we got away from primarily running outside zone runs married to play actions and bootlegs designed to appear blocked the same way. That killed the effectiveness of a lot of what we should be wanting to do up front.

Hopefully with a season in the scheme and getting to evaluate what and why things didn't work, Sark won't suck so bad and will realize why he needs to use those concepts more -- and one of the big reasons is to take pressure off your OL.

No way do I wan't us to spend big free agent money on an OG, and definitely no way in heck do I want us to mortgage the farm to move up for a freaking OG. You don't draft OG's in the 1st round, period. Not unless you want to be the Browns. Good teams don't do it, it's a waste of resources. And you sure as heck don't trade up for them. Don't forget we've been developing Harlow for a year. We don't know if he might be ready to compete for a starting position next year or not.

That being said, I have no problem paying your LT and your Center since those are still the two most important positions on the OL. We paid Mack and it was worth it. We're about to pay Matthews, and it will be worth it. He graded out as the 8th best LT this season. He's in line to get a contract in the vicinity of 5 years and $55-60 million total including a $10-12 million signing bonus (an average of $11-12M per year).

But in round 1, give me a DL, LB, or FS.

Round 2, maybe an OG, or a TE, if not then hit up the Round 1 options again.

Round 3 I want a RB. There is going to be ridiculous value at RB still on the board at the end of round 3, and Coleman is going into his final season with us.

I agree with a lot of your thinking.  The problem is, pass rushing DTs don't care that you have a run system that doesn't require great guards.  They'll abuse those guards and utilize the shortest distance to destroying your passing game.

We don't need dominant all world guards.  But we do need 2 medium to good guards, who are naturally better at pass protecting.  The zone blocking scheme doesn't make guards better at pass protecting, just at run blocking.

Also think Guard is increasing becoming one of the more important positions (but I've thought this for the last 10 years, so no real change).  

I'd say the biggest change (other than OC) to our offense was OG play, followed by TE play (and then all the random mistakes).  One FA OG and one legitimate young talent to groom seems critical with a pocket QB.