1 hour ago, Karst41 said:

Yes pretty much the case with Troff, Pioli and the little beach named Quinn.

These guys put off drafting  Trenches, or wait until there is no hope for the line.

Draft is no different than free agency. Pulling in the top nose tackle, top center. Trade for levitre. Drafted for Matthews. Pulled in upshaw for depth. 

And if you want to stretch to DE. They pulled in several. And 2 of those performed. 

So not sure why you say they are putting it off when this year was the first he had a problem with the OL, due to injury. And it wasn't that bad. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Right there with you. 

I mean he has got to be at a point where he rather have a ring vs making over 20+/year. 

C'mon, really?  How many times do you here the phrase "This is a business" about the NFL.  Darn near all players treat it that way too.  They are treating it like work and trying to get the most money they can to look out for THEIR best interests.  We fans don't look at the NFL quite the same way because we don't get paid to play the game, but think about it where ever you work now.  Would you be willing to sacrifice part of your salary to bring in a few other quality staff just so the company you work for could excel?  Probably not.

Edited by Clark

Matt Ryan's extension is going to be huge because it is a stature thing, he will absolutely sign the biggest deal ever.

But I bet when he is 36 or 37 he'll be amenable to reworking it to keep the Falcons in contention.

No way he is going to cut the Falcons a break right now, at 32 years old, can't see it.

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan's extension is going to be huge because it is a stature thing, he will absolutely sign the biggest deal ever.

But I bet when he is 36 or 37 he'll be amenable to reworking it to keep the Falcons in contention.

No way he is going to cut the Falcons a break right now, at 32 years old, can't see it.

He's already made probably in excess of 200 plus mill including endorsements why wouldn't he take a cap friendly deal so the team can still be a legit threat.To be honest I don't see the Ryan contract being an issue at all.

20 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

He's already made probably in excess of 200 plus mill including endorsements why wouldn't he take a cap friendly deal so the team can still be a legit threat.To be honest I don't see the Ryan contract being an issue at all.

I don't either but you predict what you think his extension will be and I will do the same - 5 years, 140 million, 52 mil signing bonus. 

On 1/18/2018 at 2:14 PM, MilleniumFalcon said:

Matt Ryan has a cap hit of around $22 million next season. A new contract can lower that by like $10 million if carefully constructed but then after that, the cap hit will be over $30 million a season and even higher.

Not really.  Structure the deal over 8 years.  The signing bonus would be spread out across 8 years.  A bonus of $24M spread over that time is $3M/year.  That means that they could let him go after six seasons and not get crushed with dead money issues.

In the meantime, about $10M is made available for free agent signings now.  Keep in mind that the free agents will also receive signing bonuses that are spread over several years.  

I believe we could re-sign Levitre, another good (not great) upgrade at RG and still have money to sign Poe to a long term contract.

We would have a four-year window to become champions.    

15 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan is going to get his current market, which is 27 to 29 mil a year with a $50+ mil signing bonus.  People shouldn't begrudge him for that, we are all trying to get what we can get. 

Agreed to a point but how much more does he need and if he does take market value he's got to expect regression through the team hence why I believe he'll take less.

16 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Matt Ryan is going to get his current market, which is 27 to 29 mil a year with a $50+ mil signing bonus.  People shouldn't begrudge him for that, we are all trying to get what we can get. 

Blank seems like the type of owner that would like to have the leagues highest paid player as well. 

Rumor was at one time Peyton Manning tried to take less for the team but Irsay wouldn’t hear of it. Idk if that’s legit but I have heard that. 

3 hours ago, Clark said:

C'mon, really?  How many times do you here the phrase "This is a business" about the NFL.  Darn near all players treat it that way too.  They are treating it like work and trying to get the most money they can to look out for THEIR best interests.  We fans don't look at the NFL quite the same way because we don't get paid to play the game, but think about it where ever you work now.  Would you be willing to sacrifice part of your salary to bring in a few other quality staff just so the company you work for could excel?  Probably not.

I declined a raise as a manager so that one of my direct reports could get a raise.  So, i have actually done this for the good of the team and an outstanding employee.  It was the right thing to do and i would do it again.  So, you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Now you can see that people do have different standards and reasons for the feelings and beliefs.

1 hour ago, Deadmeat said:

I declined a raise as a manager so that one of my direct reports could get a raise.  So, i have actually done this for the good of the team and an outstanding employee.  It was the right thing to do and i would do it again.  So, you shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Now you can see that people do have different standards and reasons for the feelings and beliefs.

Congrats man. So are you willing to say you expect he will do the same? Obviously I didn't say it's never happened, but it's certainly rare. 

1 hour ago, GATXBOI said:

I think Matt contact will be team friendly with a huge signing bonus. Doesn't count against cap.

Hate to say it, but no. It'll be back loaded like usual. 

Reason being is because he gives agent full control. And he just starts focused on playing ball...... And this was stated before training camp this year.