Da'ron Payne.....just dayum!

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He's locked in

looked it up - 4yrs and $50mm left - he will be 28-31 years old in those years - $12.5mm/yr - probably a bargain if he continues to play at a high level.   However, I will say this - i doubt the "Big 3" all stay on the payroll those 4 years - Campbell/Dareus/Malik.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

If there was any way to pull it off I'd dig it lol

yeah, I laugh at that draft simulator's draft trades that it allows and also at its grading system - look, it gave me A's on every pick grade but gives me a B+ and tells me there were 10 other teams that had better drafts than me?  WTH? :D

I really like Isaiah Wynn as an OG in the NFL - versatile player but a little too short to play the tackle spot on regular basis in NFL.   I believe he will be a good NFL player - would love to get TWO guards in this draft as I am not buying Schweitzer/Garland nor Harlow.   I am hoping we could cut 2-of-3 of those players next year - not having those guys battling for starting spots.....to H#LL with that!

36 minutes ago, osiruz said:

lol its some fantasy football crap.

agreed - just fun to do - I know its a friggin joke - but since you enjoyed the first one - here is another:

YOUR TEAM: ATLANTA FALCONS

GAME OVER! 

Your score is: 21235 (GRADE: A-) 

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 14 (CINN): Will Hernandez, OG, Texas-El Paso (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3 (IND): Trenton Thompson, DT, Georgia (A+)
Round 3 Pick 5 (T.B.): Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina (A-)
Round 3 Pick 13 (CINN): Lowell Lotulelei, DT, Utah (A+)
Round 3 Pick 26: Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia (A)
Round 3 Pick 31 (N.E.): Simmie Cobbs Jr., WR, Indiana (A+)
Round 4 Pick 6 (DEN): Isaiah Wynn, OG, Georgia (B+)
Round 4 Pick 8 (T.B.): Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon (A)
Round 4 Pick 17 (DET): Donte Jackson, CB, LSU (A+)
Round 5 Pick 2 (NYG): Trey Quinn, WR, Southern Methodist (A+)
Round 5 Pick 5 (DEN): Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn (A)

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

it never fails though - the players that I like that are projected to go in late 1st round always move way, way up.   I remember 4 years ago when many of us wanted Aaron Donald at top of 2nd round and he ended up going #13 overall.

I know how much we needed Mathews, but we could have had Aaron D.

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

no, and if Quenton Nelson was available at our pick then I would pick him over Payne - from what I am seeing, it looks like Nelson will likely go 10 picks or so before Payne.

I am not seeing a lot of good guard prospects worthy of 1st round consideration right now outside of Nelson.   Believe me,I am with you on the desperate need for an OG.

Nelson is going to go top 15 at worst

13 hours ago, g-dawg said:

looked it up - 4yrs and $50mm left - he will be 28-31 years old in those years - $12.5mm/yr - probably a bargain if he continues to play at a high level.   However, I will say this - i doubt the "Big 3" all stay on the payroll those 4 years - Campbell/Dareus/Malik.

Why would we not lock up Poe long term if those are the Dareus numbers and in your words, a bargain.

If Poe got $8M this past season...I’d be surprised if we couldn’t do a 3-4 year deal with him in that AAV neighborhood.

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, Fletcher Cox is my comp as well for Da'Ron Payne.   and I love Fletcher Cox - arguably the best DT in the NFL not named Aaron Donald.

Not saying you're wrong (don't know a lot about Payne) but Fletcher Cox had 24.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks in 3 years in college. Payne has 5.0 TFL and only 3 sacks in 3 years... only 1 sack & 1 TFL this year. Why so low if he 's so good? 

Edited by falconsfan4life3
1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Why would we not lock up Poe long term if those are the Dareus numbers and in your words, a bargain.

If Poe got $8M this past season...I’d be surprised if we couldn’t do a 3-4 year deal with him in that AAV neighborhood.

Because the Falcons will have to start picking and choosing these next 2-3yrs because so much of our talent is on rookie contracts.

1 hour ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Not saying you're wrong (don't know a lot about Payne) but Fletcher Cox had 24.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks in 3 years in college. Payne has 5.0 TFL and only 3 sacks in 3 years... only 1 sack & 1 TFL this year. Why so low if he 's so good? 

For one, they played in different systems in college and Payne’s job at Bama was to eat double teams, which he did very well.  Also,  unlike Miss State,  Bama is a factory and Payne had to serve his apprenticeship.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Because the Falcons will have to start picking and choosing these next 2-3yrs because so much of our talent is on rookie contracts.

Good players are good players.  Since the last CBA agreement, we've seen the salary cap expand from $120M to what's projected to be close to $180M in 2018. From my POV, this allows teams to retain more of the players they want to retain at market value.

Poe played 75% (thereabouts) of the defensive snaps in 2017 - when I recall back to why Poe signed a 1 year deal...there was some concern as to his physical condition, particularly his back.  I think Poe helped to answer some questions/doubts on that front as well as keeping his weight down.  Also seemed to be a good locker room guy - bought into The Brotherhood and by in large produced to expectation.  Also, the DT market seemed unusually bearish - I don't know if the market will respond the same way this off-season, but I didn't see anything this season that dissuades me from thinking he shouldn't be a part of our 3-4 year plan at market value.