Da'ron Payne.....just dayum!

g-dawg

CFP National Championship

Look at this guy - 308lbs and that is the smallest gut I have ever seen on a man that large.   His calves are bigger than 90% of grown men's thighs - he has herculean strength and rag-dolled the Georgia and Clemson offensive lines.    I don't know how high he goes in the draft but if he drops into the 20's, Falcons might better think about securing him.  I would much rather spend a 1st round pick on Payne than pay Dontari Poe $6-7mm per year or more.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, g-dawg said:

CFP National Championship

Look at this guy - 308lbs and that is the smallest gut I have ever seen on a man that large.   His calves are bigger than 90% of grown men's thighs - he has herculean strength and rag-dolled the Georgia and Clemson offensive lines.    I don't know how high he goes in the draft but if he drops into the 20's, Falcons might better think about securing him.  I would much rather spend a 1st round pick on Payne than pay Dontari Poe $6-7mm per year or more.

He is a man among boys on the field and like most Bama guys, he is already pro ready. I'd go nuts if we managed to get him. I've never pulled for that many draft picks but this one is going to be a very special player.

1 minute ago, Wardog357 said:

He is a man among boys on the field and like most Bama guys, he is already pro ready. I'd go nuts if we managed to get him. I've never pulled for that many draft picks but this one is going to be a very special player.

Payne is a game-wrecker for any team wanting to consistently run the ball - and he can get up field in passrush - at 20yrs old, he is still developing and nowhere near close to what he could be.

Just now, octoslash said:

Can he play OG?

no, and if Quenton Nelson was available at our pick then I would pick him over Payne - from what I am seeing, it looks like Nelson will likely go 10 picks or so before Payne.

I am not seeing a lot of good guard prospects worthy of 1st round consideration right now outside of Nelson.   Believe me,I am with you on the desperate need for an OG.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Payne is a game-wrecker for any team wanting to consistently run the ball - and he can get up field in passrush - at 20yrs old, he is still developing and nowhere near close to what he could be.

And his motor is off the charts! He never looked tired that entire game....no drop off what so ever. Can you imagine Takk, Jarrett and Payne! Good Lord have mercy on the other teams!

Just now, Wardog357 said:

And his motor is off the charts! He never looked tired that entire game....no drop off what so ever. Can you imagine Takk, Jarrett and Payne! Good Lord have mercy on the other teams!

it never fails though - the players that I like that are projected to go in late 1st round always move way, way up.   I remember 4 years ago when many of us wanted Aaron Donald at top of 2nd round and he ended up going #13 overall.

Just now, g-dawg said:

no, and if Quenton Nelson was available at our pick then I would pick him over Payne - from what I am seeing, it looks like Nelson will likely go 10 picks or so before Payne.

I am not seeing a lot of good guard prospects worthy of 1st round consideration right now outside of Nelson.   Believe me,I am with you on the desperate need for an OG.

I'm really worried this front office will ignore the need at guard.

I'm not familiar with who's out there as a free agent though, so maybe that's an option.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it never fails though - the players that I like that are projected to go in late 1st round always move way, way up.   I remember 4 years ago when many of us wanted Aaron Donald at top of 2nd round and he ended up going #13 overall.

Me and you both were on Donald hard that year. I think you even started a thread asking people if they would take him 6th overall 

2 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

He's the type of player that will steadily climb up the boards until the draft day. I would be shocked if he's there at 26. I think he'll go top 10, and most probably top 6.

I would say he will likely go somewhere between #8-#15 when it is all said and done.  While he will continue to develop as a pass-rusher, he isn't there just yet   So many QBs in this draft that real talent will get pushed down 4-5 picks.     Also, generally DT is not as premium position as QB, LT, CB, DE, OLB so a little push down there as well.   No doubt I believe Payne's talent and upside is worthy of top 10.