TheRisen999

Overreaction

48 posts in this topic

Is that what’s happening with most fans ( Myself included) or is Sark simply not an NFLcaliber OC? The answer is most likely somewhere in the middle. We had the same reaction to Shannahan’s first season. A season later we were in the Super Bowl. I’m not saying that’s how this will pan out but I think what we’re not willing to except is Quinn’s decision was made with the thought that it was best to bring in someone who would be ok with just having the opportunity and would be glad to just keep the offense going the same way without trying to force a total change. The problem is he underestimated the complexity and nuances of Kyle’s system. IMO the smartest thing to do would have been to promote from within but again, we don’t know the entire thought process behind not doing so or if guys simply chose to leave or if there was some reason they didn’t feel comfortable making that move. What I do know is Quinn is the best personnel man we’ve had or close to it so I’m not going to sit here and assume he’s an idiot. The positives that he’s been able to create heavily out weigh the negatives. A Super Bowl appearance in his second season, hitting on so many draft picks, completely changing this defense and bringing it from dead last to top 10, back to back seasons in the playoffs beyond the first round, unifying this team, another conference championship, putting the pieces in place for Ryan to have an MVP season and building this team the right way. Do I think the Sark hire was a misstep… Yea for now I do, but I also see Quinn making efforts to turn that around as well. If the reports are accurate they’re looking to bring in a QB coach with experience and that experience is what Sark is sorely lacking. I’m not thrilled about the candidates as of now but whether it be Knapp, Fisch or someone else I recognize that they see the problem and are attempting to fix it. Sark was inconsistent but when he was good he was **** good. Therefore I’m willing to wait before I pass judgement. My favorite attribute about Quinn is he attacks the problem areas and I expect that to happen this off-season once again.

Overreaction. If people felt player execution matched 2016s, they’re not very logical. 

The Super Bowl hangover is a real thing. So is trying to match expectation when you have one of the best offensive seasons in NFL history. We also played one **** of a schedule.

Im excited for 2018. If the right buttons are pushed this offseason, I think this team has a real shot at a Championship. I worry about the 2017 draft though. It could prove to be a rough one.

Now that I've taken a step back from the season I can see that Sark wasn't that bad. Did he have some head scratching moments? Of course, but then again all OC's do. He was just burdened with the fact that he took over a historical offense. Anything short of the same production was going to be deemed a failure in many eyes.

Also, The weak azz interior OG play and Skill position mishaps (Drops) that led to turnovers did not help him out also.

He will learn, adjust, and get better...............I hope.

Think it was Fox that said this years Falcons offense points total drop off of 11 points per game was largest EVER from one year to the next.  2007 Falcons offense points difference from 2006 Falcons per game 2.06, thats with all the #7 turmoil new coach 3 sub standard QB's a lousy defense etc. LOL i hope I am wrong, I hope its just the up one year down the next cycle this team's been in, but numbers partial at least tell a different story.  

5 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I think the worst thing the Falcon organization can do is panic...stay the course.

The Smiths would've already fired Quinn, the whole staff, and traded Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for a punter with a broken kicking leg. 

PokerSteve and TheRisen999 like this

11 minutes ago, octoslash said:

The awful offensive line is a MUCH bigger problem than the inexperienced OC. 

If they don't fix the line it won't matter if Bill Walsh himself pops out of his box and heads over to Flowery Branch.

Agree, though I think we need a Couple of pieces rather than a new line. 

TheRisen999 likes this

1 minute ago, octoslash said:

The Smiths would've already fired Quinn, the whole staff, and traded Matt Ryan and Julio Jones for a punter with a broken kicking leg. 

:lol:

No need to look back. 

TheRisen999 likes this

32 minutes ago, octoslash said:

If they don't fix the line it won't matter if Bill Walsh himself pops out of his box and heads over to Flowery Branch.

I'd argue Sark didn't help that problem at all.  KS and Matt talked about how use of misdirection will make the OL's job easier.  KS made heavy use of playaction to help the guys up front get the DL on their heals.  When the DL knows what play is coming, they can pin their ears back making it MUCH harder on the OL. 

Considering the problems we had on our OL this season, it's inexplicable that we didn't use more playaction, fakes, and misdirection to help them out.  It's also inexplicable not giving TeCo more snaps when he was clearly running a lot better against the Eagles.  There are a lot of things that are inexplicable as far as this offense this season.

I hope it's less of Sark's fault than I believe it is.  My problem is I believe a LOT of it is on Sark.  Not all of it, as there are places our players could've been better.  But I do think he was the single biggest factor in our offensive demise.  That being said, if he sticks around, I hope he learns a lot from his mistakes and he gets a LOT better next season.

49 minutes ago, octoslash said:

That along with sooooooooo many dropped ands tipped balls! Lord Almighty we had our share of those this year. That has to get fixed to have any reasonable shot at improving.

TheRisen999 likes this

I think Sark is an issue, just not as bad as this board has crucified him for entirely. Yes he has "questionable calls like all OC's do" but I feel he had many more of those than other OC's. Unfortunately his questionable calls were more like "WTF calls" in my book. This would make them much worse than questionable which overshadows some of the normal/good things he did as an OC. I struggle with Sark because of his predictability. Multiple teams suggested knowing the plays or formations that led to a certain play. This bothers me much more than some of his actual "toss right" plays. I loved Shannahan's lack of predictability. I would sit there watching and telling my wife "watch this is about to be the play" and the play would totally be opposite and surprise me. Sark just seems to lack that portion of playcalling.

20 minutes ago, pzummo said:

Considering the problems we had on our OL this season, it's inexplicable that we didn't use more playaction, fakes, and misdirection to help them out.  It's also inexplicable not giving TeCo more snaps when he was clearly running a lot better against the Eagles.  There are a lot of things that are inexplicable as far as this offense this season.

so you're saying an O-line that ran the ball as well as the previous historic season and produced the lowest sack total in Falcons history wasn't that bad when you look at they weren't helped much by play-calling. hmmmm. by all accounts then if we did scheme receivers open and use more play action and misdirection then the offense would look a lot better. it would probably help if receivers wouldn't tip easy catches, turning them into INTs too. you would think we got blown out 38-3 the way this place is overreacting.

TheRisen999 likes this

This thread has some refreshing logic in it. Beautiful. 

Fix the lines. Period. A piece or two on both lines, some luck, some health, and better execution by the players and the Falcons will be right back in the fold.

TheRisen999 likes this

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

Ha, you think so? I say they would've much more likely traded for an amputee kicker.  :lol:

TheRisen999 likes this

19 minutes ago, emc008 said:

I think Sark is an issue, just not as bad as this board has crucified him for entirely. Yes he has "questionable calls like all OC's do" but I feel he had many more of those than other OC's. Unfortunately his questionable calls were more like "WTF calls" in my book. This would make them much worse than questionable which overshadows some of the normal/good things he did as an OC. I struggle with Sark because of his predictability. Multiple teams suggested knowing the plays or formations that led to a certain play. This bothers me much more than some of his actual "toss right" plays. I loved Shannahan's lack of predictability. I would sit there watching and telling my wife "watch this is about to be the play" and the play would totally be opposite and surprise me. Sark just seems to lack that portion of playcalling.

My sentiments exactly. Predictability is the bane of any offensive football scheme. It can never be part of a successful scheme, but it can definitely be a part of a failed scheme, including being the most significant reason for the failure.

TheRisen999 likes this

Sarks first year does not remotely resemble shanny's first year, except to the simplest of football minds. Shanny had a plan and a goal. Sark has no plan and will probably regress in second year. 

NeonDeion and dawgsjw like this