Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HMFIC

Falcons Post Mortem

16 posts in this topic

Let's examine  the main players of this season :

DAN QUINN 

Quinn was an excellent DC for the Seahawks, helped them win a SB, but the last thing he did before coming to Atlanta, was to call a play that lost a SB. He had a brute of a RB on the goal line but didn't use him. He opted for a pass play that was intercepted.  A decision made under pressure. A portent of things to come ?  His pressure decisions here, Clock management, time outs, challenges etc have not been stellar to say the least.

I wondered why our pass routes were seldom as open as other teams. It seemed that any completions were barely without a competing DB right on our WR, including Julio, who is purported to be good enough to defeat double coverages. Sanu was the one WR that was most often open.  Other teams seemed to exploit our defense in the middle of the field with a TE or RB, while we never seemed to return the favor. Julio was often successful at that, but always with a DB right there.

Maybe taking your DB coach who had never coached WRs was not such a good idea.  Maybe that's one reason the pass routes were sometimes rounded off, and not quite as crisp. Shanny was a stickler for detail, and would not have put up with a WR coach who allowed that.

Quinn hired Sarkisian, who had almost zero experience with the NFL offensive schemes, and directed him to learn a very complicated scheme that he had never seen before, in a relatively short time.  Sark, learned the basics of Shanny's scheme, but it was not HIS scheme.  Sarks scheme was birthed in the college ranks. There was no possible way that he could be totally sold on the intricacies of Shanny's scheme.  He mouthed the platitudes that said he liked the offense, but there had to be doubt in the back of his mind. Plus he kept hearing and reading that it was Shanny's scheme.  Had to rankle him at least a bit, and tempt him to change a little thing or two to make a at least a little part of it HIS scheme.  Shanny was obsessed with scheming players open and confusing the defense. The scheme was his baby, and he doggedly worked to make it even better. Sark was running another man's  offense, maybe begrudgingly

It seems that Quinn has hired people that he liked, not necessarily the most competent men for the positions, and he has doggedly stayed true to them in spite of some obvious deficiencies.  I don't think Sark will be fired, but something must be done to improve this obviously under performing  offense .  Maybe a new QB coach who is already familiar with a system similar to Shanny's . He and Sark could spend the off season refining the nuances of Shanny's system. The nuances are what have been missing. The different formations, calling a play to set up a later play, scheming WRs open etc. These are things that Sark MUST pick up and become proficient at, or we will suffer through another year of a sub standard offense.

The Draft and FA will also play a big part in next years success or failure. We MUST get a competent Guard and/or Tackle in Free agency to strengthen the Oline.  No time to develop a rookie.  We can use the draft for other players.

Dan Quinn has been given total control of this team, in spite of never having been either a HC or GM .  His decisions this off season will be critical. The onus will be on him for the success or failure of this team.

19 minutes ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Last thing he did was call a play that lost a SB.

Since when does a DC call offensive plays?

So now a it’s QUINN that lost SB 48 AND 51!

Literally stopped reading after the bolded line...anything else that was said after that, whether right or wrong, was rendered null and void after that statement.

LOL ! I had to laugh at my own dumbass self for that one.  I got so involved with the whole concept of what I was thinking about Quinn that I just forked up. My bad, but I think the other points were valid. That's what I get for not proof reading what I write. I guess I just pulled a D Led.  Forgive me......Mea Culpa.  

26 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

LOL ! I had to laugh at my own dumbass self for that one.  I got so involved with the whole concept of what I was thinking about Quinn that I just forked up. My bad, but I think the other points were valid. That's what I get for not proof reading what I write. I guess I just pulled a D Led.  Forgive me......Mea Culpa.  

I'll forgive you because I'm a forgiving man but not many others will.

And stop with the proofreading woulda saved you bush it bro. It's obvious you believed that.

3 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Stopped reading after that statement man. OP went full blame mode.

4 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

Lol...was thinking the same thing

9 hours ago, crimsonhawk said:

Literally stopped reading after the bolded line...anything else that was said after that, whether right or wrong, was rendered null and void after that statement.

Dilly dillly!