Why do some of you keep using this crutch....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

So you say, it's very convenient to say such things after the fact. Should be mentioned from the start because of the insinuation. But I guess the entire point of this thread is ridiculous anyway. 

Blame Sarks? Why? Because he was handed a playbook and told to CALL ANOTHER PERSONS PLAYS? I mean really..... That's ridiculous. The man NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO CALL HIS OWN PLAYS, he just had a chance to make a few changes to a KNOWN playbook from the start.  

I think and hope the Falcons keep SARKS as the OC and let him create his OWN PLAYBOOK.   

i guess that's just where we are different. i don't automatically assume someone is racist over some silly **** i read on the internet :) sorry if you wear your feelings on your shoulders have a nice life!

36 minutes ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

The title of the thread you started is : "Why do some of you keep using this crutch...." Also you say and I quote : "THOSE APES WHO TWIRL BUSINESS SINGS ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET?" WTF is that about, that's some racist BS there if you ask me!!!!!!!

But you never really mention what the crutch actually is, I mean you complain about Sarks, but then you rant about things that have nothing to do with Sarks. 

Thing is, what you have to consider and it has been all over the forums even in spring training camp that Sarks was handed a playbook to work with. NOTE I SAID WORK WITH : Meaning he never really had a chance to bring his own playbook into any game. Yeah he could make changes here and there : BUT IT WAS NOT HIS PLAYBOOK!  

SARKS WAS A PUPPET when it comes to the offense. The man is not dumb. If he is then what does that say about Dan QUINN?  And Arthur Blank? You tell me because I am asking right now? Bet I don't get an answer from you. 

Falcons just lost, and that's all it amounts to, and it's not the end of the world. I wasn't on that field, it was entertainment for me to watch and that is all it was. While I realize that you and me both invest our feelings in watching this sports/drama/reality maybe fixed game,  at the end of the day it wont change your life one way or another unless you lay some money on it, and if you do that then my opinion is you must not have much of a life because if I had money to lay on anything I'd spend it on family, not stupid stuff. 

Sark knows more football then I could ever hope to learn on 2 lifetimes.  But history indicates he lacks discipline, is stubborn and has been gifted jobs he has not earned.  As USC’s Head Coach he never attended meetings for either defense or ST’s until forced to in year 2 by the AD.   He “didn’t understand the nuance” so didn’t see the point.  As a Head Coach. A man who admits to not understanding the nuance of defense is now calling plays to out-scheme gifted defensive minds.  Not shocked he is struggling

Edited by Falconsin2012
6 minutes ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

So you say, it's very convenient to say such things after the fact. Should be mentioned from the start because of the insinuation. But I guess the entire point of this thread is ridiculous anyway. 

Blame Sarks? Why? Because he was handed a playbook and told to CALL ANOTHER PERSONS PLAYS? I mean really..... That's ridiculous. The man NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO CALL HIS OWN PLAYS, he just had a chance to make a few changes to a KNOWN playbook from the start.  

I think and hope the Falcons keep SARKS as the OC and let him create his OWN PLAYBOOK.   

Sark is terrible at play calling in the red zone. I think he has played too much Madden Football video games. We lost a lot of games because of his ineptness in the red zone. Jet sweep without another back in the backfield, shovel pass, sprint out pass, running the back without a lead blocker to name a few of his recent failures. The Eagles defensive players even said they knew what the fourth down play was due to the formation. On that play there is no other option when JJ falls down. We scored about 2 touchdowns less per game with Sark calling plays. He does not deserve all the blame but a large part for the drop-off in production. He had all year to improve his red zone play calling. How long will it take?

2 minutes ago, Bigbenright said:

Sark is terrible at play calling in the red zone. I think he has played too much Madden Football video games. We lost a lot of games because of his ineptness in the red zone. Jet sweep without another back in the backfield, shovel pass, sprint out pass, running the back without a lead blocker to name a few of his recent failures. The Eagles defensive players even said they knew what the fourth down play was due to the formation. On that play there is no other option when JJ falls down. We scored about 2 touchdowns less per game with Sark calling plays. He does not deserve all the blame but a large part for the drop-off in production. He had all year to improve his red zone play calling. How long will it take?

You say "Sark is terrible at play calling in the red zone".  Here's the thing I am trying to get across, and it is the fact that when Sarks took over as OC it was said everywhere because Shanny's offense done so good last season that NOTHING WOULD CHANGE and that THE PLAYBOOK LEFT BY SHANNY would remain the same and that Sarks might make a few changes to the offensive playbook here and there, but it would for the most part REMAIN THE SAME.  Teams were sitting there waiting on how to beat a PRESCRIPTED PLAYBOOK with an OC who was more or less TOLD to follow the SCRIPT.  Sarks never had a chance, if the man could have made his own play calls who knows how the season might have went. 

We don't know what went on behind the scenes except the fact that it was mentioned multiple time that THE PLAYBOOK WOULD REMAIN THE SAME/SCHEME THAT SHANNAHAN LEFT FOR SARKS TO USE. 

There is a reason Sarks was brought to Atlanta, and I believe it has to do with he's a dang good OC, but if they fire him and don't give him a chance to make his own playbook then that would just flat out be wrong.

Like I was saying, Sarks needs a chance to CALL THE GAME/PLAYBOOK his own way, not be told "This is what worked last season, use these calls".  I think Dan Quinn if he or anyone else handed a SCRIPTED playbook to Sarks or thought he should FOLLOW THE SCRIPT, THEY SHOULD BE FIRED THEMSELVES! Because everyone knew what the freaking plays were for the Falcons the previous years. 

You DO NOT BRING IN A NEW OC TO FOLLOW A SCRIPT, YOU BRING THEM IN TO WRITE A NEW PLAYBOOK BECAUSE WHAT HAS WORKED IN THE PAST HAS BEEN WRITTEN AND KNOWN BY THE OTHER TEAMS. 

Just my opinion. But I don't think you blame Sarks here, it's the fact that he was handed a playbook and told to use those plays that was the problem. You've got to give the man a chance and to tie his hands from teh start says everything when it comes to an offensive coordinator. Moving him to the BOOTH was sort of a joke in my opinion. An insult. They never give him a chance to make the calls. 

Just my  opinion as I said. 

And NO, I still think Beasley got his sack number in the 2016 season against injured O-line players and I still think that the pressure on how he got them come from Hagemen. There was a chemistry there between the two. 

Oh well it is what it is. We shall see what the future holds. I have always said, if the Falcons are ever going to win the Superbowl it will be in 2019 because that's when the new stadium will be hosting it. 

If I upset anyone with my opinion, no, I'm not going to apologize for speaking what I feel is the truth. 

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, JKH5785 said:

“We struggled in Kyles first year too...”

Can those of you who aimlessly throw this out as some kind of ammo in defense of Sark please remember just a couple of crucial points...

First off we barely had a Center that could snap the ball to Ryan, there was no MACK, no SANU, no Gabriel....

Secondly, that was Ryan’s and our existing players FIRST YEAR in that system...of course their was a learning curve. The whole point of bringing Sark in was so the players didn’t have to change plays/system. 

Considering just those two points, it’s rediculous to keep throwing that excuse out there for Sarkisian who was mostly about as creative as one of those apes who twirl business signs on the side of the street. 

I still have no clue how Sark warned his job with the Falcons.

“Haden was willing to gamble on hiring him despite the fact that Sarkisian had taken Washington from bad to good, he had never taken the Huskies from good to great. And it hasn’t panned out.

A Steve Sarkisian-coached team will generally be good more often than not, just because of the amount of talent he’s able to recruit and commit to him. His shortcomings as a coach in­-game, however, are why his teams will never be great.

Yes, USC has already lost three times as a double digit point-favorite in the 16 games Sarkisian has coached. The Trojans also lost three times as double digit point favorites in 43 games under Lane Kiffin. But I’d prefer to use an in-game example of how poor of a coach Sarkisian is.“

40 minutes ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

You say "Sark is terrible at play calling in the red zone".  Here's the thing I am trying to get across, and it is the fact that when Sarks took over as OC it was said everywhere because Shanny's offense done so good last season that NOTHING WOULD CHANGE and that THE PLAYBOOK LEFT BY SHANNY would remain the same and that Sarks might make a few changes to the offensive playbook here and there, but it would for the most part REMAIN THE SAME.  Teams were sitting there waiting on how to beat a PRESCRIPTED PLAYBOOK with an OC who was more or less TOLD to follow the SCRIPT.  Sarks never had a chance, if the man could have made his own play calls who knows how the season might have went. 

We don't know what went on behind the scenes except the fact that it was mentioned multiple time that THE PLAYBOOK WOULD REMAIN THE SAME/SCHEME THAT SHANNAHAN LEFT FOR SARKS TO USE. 

There is a reason Sarks was brought to Atlanta, and I believe it has to do with he's a dang good OC, but if they fire him and don't give him a chance to make his own playbook then that would just flat out be wrong.

Like I was saying, Sarks needs a chance to CALL THE GAME/PLAYBOOK his own way, not be told "This is what worked last season, use these calls".  I think Dan Quinn if he or anyone else handed a SCRIPTED playbook to Sarks or thought he should FOLLOW THE SCRIPT, THEY SHOULD BE FIRED THEMSELVES! Because everyone knew what the freaking plays were for the Falcons the previous years. 

You DO NOT BRING IN A NEW OC TO FOLLOW A SCRIPT, YOU BRING THEM IN TO WRITE A NEW PLAYBOOK BECAUSE WHAT HAS WORKED IN THE PAST HAS BEEN WRITTEN AND KNOWN BY THE OTHER TEAMS. 

Just my opinion. But I don't think you blame Sarks here, it's the fact that he was handed a playbook and told to use those plays that was the problem. You've got to give the man a chance and to tie his hands from teh start says everything when it comes to an offensive coordinator. Moving him to the BOOTH was sort of a joke in my opinion. An insult. They never give him a chance to make the calls. 

Just my  opinion as I said. 

And NO, I still think Beasley got his sack number in the 2016 season against injured O-line players and I still think that the pressure on how he got them come from Hagemen. There was a chemistry there between the two. 

Oh well it is what it is. We shall see what the future holds. I have always said, if the Falcons are ever going to win the Superbowl it will be in 2019 because that's when the new stadium will be hosting it. 

If I upset anyone with my opinion, no, I'm not going to apologize for speaking what I feel is the truth. 

GO FALCONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

We all have an opinion. No need to apologize. I simply feel he could chose better plays from the playbook that he was given. He should be creative enough to figure that out. That playbook is huge.

1 hour ago, WinningIsTheOnlyOption said:

The title of the thread you started is : "Why do some of you keep using this crutch...." Also you say and I quote : "THOSE APES WHO TWIRL BUSINESS SINGS ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET?" WTF is that about, that's some racist BS there if you ask me!!!!!!!

But you never really mention what the crutch actually is, I mean you complain about Sarks, but then you rant about things that have nothing to do with Sarks. 

Thing is, what you have to consider and it has been all over the forums even in spring training camp that Sarks was handed a playbook to work with. NOTE I SAID WORK WITH : Meaning he never really had a chance to bring his own playbook into any game. Yeah he could make changes here and there : BUT IT WAS NOT HIS PLAYBOOK!  

SARKS WAS A PUPPET when it comes to the offense. The man is not dumb. If he is then what does that say about Dan QUINN?  And Arthur Blank? You tell me because I am asking right now? Bet I don't get an answer from you. 

Falcons just lost, and that's all it amounts to, and it's not the end of the world. I wasn't on that field, it was entertainment for me to watch and that is all it was. While I realize that you and me both invest our feelings in watching this sports/drama/reality maybe fixed game,  at the end of the day it wont change your life one way or another unless you lay some money on it, and if you do that then my opinion is you must not have much of a life because if I had money to lay on anything I'd spend it on family, not stupid stuff. 

This whole entire quote from you is moronic. Shouldn’t even justify a reply but I don’t take to kindly to being called a racist!!  while you yourself maybe don’t have anything invested In the team I do, two seats/PSLs for my family and I to go enjoy these games, it’s something my family and I do together, it Les what we choose to spend our money on, may be stupid to you - not to us, and I promise we aren’t worried about what you are thinking a the time we are cheering from our seats!

crutch as in the first defense they throw out for Sark is how bad Kyle was his first year! They lean on that one fact of Kyles first season and I simply pointed out the differences of Kyle and Sarks first season so at this point I’m honestly wondering if you can read and understand clearly...but none the less, moving on...

bet lost, because I would definitely sit here and say that at times the powers to be of this team have done “dumb” things, Blank, TD, Smith, and most certainly Quinn. I would especially throw Sark in there for his decision making  

Lastly by creative I was encompassing the silly “creative” idea to dress someone up like a freakin gorilla to twirl a sign that says such things as “blowout sale today” “free with purchase” or w/e such person thought to advertise. Comparing Sarks offense to that, as in his creativeness is about that silly!

Obviously in your limitedly traveled existence you’ve never encountered this - therefore you need to stand on you pedestal jumping to your own conclusion and shout racist!! I don’t understand, let me just jump to a conclusion and label someone a racist! F$@k off!  Your what’s wrong with this country!! It’s people like you that cause the racial tension in this country by carelessly slinging around such a powerful insult that end the day you probably know very little about!

heres a thought...why don’t you take your 222post count, mister family man I’ve got better things to spend my money on like my family meanwhile look at my dice in hand avatar a$$ and piss off!!

The biggest issue with Sark was expecting him to come in and run Shanny's offense and the Falcons never miss a beat. We need to let Sark run HIS offense. You cannot ask one man to run another man's scheme. It just doesn't work like that. The best thing the Falcons can do is let Sark be himself and then see how good or bad he is. This "he's just gonna call plays right out of Kyle's playbook" decision was doomed from the start. Could you imagine Joe Gibbs trying to run Bill Walsh's offense or vice versa? It wouldn't have worked and they are two of the most highly praised offensive minds to ever coach.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The biggest issue with Sark was expecting him to come in and run Shanny's offense and the Falcons never miss a beat. We need to let Sark run HIS offense. You cannot ask one man to run another man's scheme. It just doesn't work like that. The best thing the Falcons can do is let Sark be himself and then see how good or bad he is. This "he's just gonna call plays right out of Kyle's playbook" decision was doomed from the start. Could you imagine Joe Gibbs trying to run Bill Walsh's offense or vice versa? It wouldn't have worked and they are two of the most highly praised offensive minds to ever coach.

That's kind of what DQ was expecting when he hired him:

Quinn thought Sarkisian’s experience in a West Coast offense, both as a player at BYU and throughout his coaching career, would help ensure a smooth transition.

“To me, he has not only called (plays) in this system before, but he has such a background from playing quarterback and being a play caller for a long time. I thought he was the perfect fit for me,” Quinn told USA TODAY Sports recently. “Kyle did a fantastic job, and I was thinking, ‘Who would be the best guy, so we could be our best self?’ And (Sarkisian) was that.”

USA TODAY, Aug. 15, 2017

3 hours ago, JKH5785 said:

Yeh Kyle came into a dysfunctional situation with a brand new head coach trying to establish a new culture as well, with a slew of existing players that weren’t his choice. 

Kyles second year I think he really was where he wanted to be personnel wise. Minus maybe a great impact TE

Jacob Tamme did a pretty good job. He was sorely missed at the Super Bowl. He was the one converting the third down plays or quick throws to the end zone. 

10 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It's the same system though. Brady went through Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien, and back to Josh McDaniels and the offense didn't miss a beat. That being said, McDaniels is by far the most creative and accomplished playcaller of that trio, but there wasn't a dramatic fluctuation from one coordinator to another except for the 2007 team.

33 minutes ago, Mr.Blank said:

That's kind of what DQ was expecting when he hired him:

Quinn thought Sarkisian’s experience in a West Coast offense, both as a player at BYU and throughout his coaching career, would help ensure a smooth transition.

“To me, he has not only called (plays) in this system before, but he has such a background from playing quarterback and being a play caller for a long time. I thought he was the perfect fit for me,” Quinn told USA TODAY Sports recently. “Kyle did a fantastic job, and I was thinking, ‘Who would be the best guy, so we could be our best self?’ And (Sarkisian) was that.”

USA TODAY, Aug. 15, 2017

Yes. I know that is what Quinn was expecting. But it was dumb to expect that.

29 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

It's the same system though. Brady went through Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, Bill O'Brien, and back to Josh McDaniels and the offense didn't miss a beat. That being said, McDaniels is by far the most creative and accomplished playcaller of that trio, but there wasn't a dramatic fluctuation from one coordinator to another except for the 2007 team.

Brady and the offense as we know it today didn't happen until 2007, McDaniels second year as the Patriots OC. Under Charlie Weis, Brady's numbers and the Patriots offensive numbers match up very similar to Matt Ryan and the Falcons offensive numbers under Smitty.

I can't seem to figure out who the Patriots OC was in 2009 and 2010. Bill O'Brien was only OC for 1 year in 2011.

4 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

You must have a short memory. Dude was stubborn, pass happy and fairly predictable that year.

Oh yeah I remember this like it was yesterday. Everyone was saying he had Napoleon Complex and blaming Roddys drop off on Shanahan and saying he purposely didn't include 84 in the offense because Roddy voiced his opinion ab how much he hated the offense. Everyone wanted to run him out of town and thought matt Ryan running a bootleg was ridiculous....now they all want him back hahahaha!! 

20% of the ppl on this message board, these days, weren't Falcons fans yet tho and hopped on our bandwagon last year so they don't know much ab 2015. 

1 minute ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Oh yeah I remember this like it was yesterday. Everyone was saying he had Napoleon Complex and blaming Roddys drop off on Shanahan and saying he purposely didn't include 84 in the offense because Roddy voiced his opinion ab how much he hated the offense. Everyone wanted to run him out of town and thought matt Ryan running a bootleg was ridiculous....now they all want him back hahahaha!! 

20% of the ppl on this message board, these days, weren't Falcons fans yet tho and hopped on our bandwagon last year so they don't know much ab 2015. 

Yep. Total clowns.

BTW, I'd take Mike Mularkey back over Sark in a nano second.

Just now, MoFalconsFan56 said:

I wasn't a huge fan of MM to be honest although I'm sure Michael Turner would disagree w me lol

I think Mularkey gets a bad rap honestly. Aside from that Giants playoff game I had no issues with him really. My biggest beef was his overrelience on roll out plays in the red zone. Couldn't stand that crap. But other than that I thought his offense fit the personnel we had at the time perfectly. He played exactly to the strength of the team. His offense doesn't fit the personnel we have now though.

But supposedly got let go by the Titans because they didn't think he was playing to the strengths of Marcus Mariota. I can't comment on that.

8 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Hypothetically, if Shanahan was great in his first year then the apologists would probably come up with another reason as to why it's not his fault. They'll see what they want to see.

With that being said, our offensive line has been lacklustre but they played well enough against Phily for us to net more than 10pts (which were really off of turnovers). ****, Tevin Coleman had like 10 carries for 70 yards. If Sarkisian can't adapt to mismatches or overcome slight personnel changes then we're going to have to seriously vamp up our offensive line. 

More likely that they hoped Sark would pick up where Shanny left off, they are disappointed he didn't, and now realize he's not getting fired.

The truth is this, firing Sark makes the Falcons look bad.  Any potential OC that you might want is going to look at the situation and turn it down, because if they don't succeed they will be fired the same as Sark.

So the best plan is to hope the guy is a second year wonder like Shanny, because otherwise our window is probably closed.  We have a defense that only seems to turn it on in the second half of the season and an offense that can't consistently score points.