Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT

ESPN First Take says Matt Ryan is the issue though Sark deserves a fair amount of blame

120 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, falconsd56 said:

Exactly....had Ward had awareness and caught the ball he probably scores.....and it would have been hailed as a great call becuase no one saw it coming.

People hitch about "vanilla"  and basic play calling....and then hitch about something out of the box.

Even if Ward catches it one the Eagles LB was right there to tackle him. That play wasnt going anywhere. 

NeonDeion likes this

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Why???

Ward has proven to be a guy who is hard to bring down when he gets the ball...he runs hard...which is what you need in the redzone.

Coleman for all of his speed...and I love the guy but he too often goes down on first contact

Eagles didn’t stop Coleman, he clearly was the hot hand. I could have just ran Coleman on all 4 downs. 

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Calling Matt Ryan unathletic is one of the stupidest comments yet.

Stupid is understatement. More like hate. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Eagles didn’t stop Coleman, he clearly was the hot hand. I could have just ran Coleman on all 4 downs. 

Cool.....and if they did stopI him ...you and everyone else who has sand in their vag would be complaining how predictable we were.

14 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Actually the kill word in this system in "can"... and those kill situations are only when two plays are sent in at once.  He'll either stay with the first one or "can" it to the second.  Two plays aren't alway sent in.

Oh ok, that makes sense 

2 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

The Vikings last play only had one option also.  Sometimes when you really need the points or yards, you have a play designed to free up one man.  That's what did but it didn't work -- only because our one man did not do his job.

Actually there were multiple options on that play.  I was watching something and they said it was similar to a play they ran earlier where Harris was the main read on the play and Rudolph was the underneath route.

The one to Diggs was probably the best one for their situation but there were other guys.

In the Falcons situation Sanu is double covered and the FB is one on one on the other side of the field.  It's Julio or bust.  Sure I understand the logic but I also heard that Ryan to Julio in the end-zone was 1 of 18 for the season.  1 of 18.... SMH

4 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Even if Ward catches it one the Eagles LB was right there to tackle him. That play wasnt going anywhere. 

LT mentioned this on GameDay Prime but when you bring in Ward you tip the defense it's going to be a draw or pass to him.

What irks me is Matt put the ball up for all pro receiver Julio Jones TWICE on that final 4 plays. Julio fails to catch either and Matt gets the blame.

Keenum throws the pass up for Theilin and Diggs, good receivers but not Jones caliber, multiple times. They catch it and Keenum is hailed a hero.

At a certain point all QBs can do is put the ball in play. Its up to the receivers to come down with it. If Julio just goes up and snatches the ball and falls downin the endzone Matt is an elite signal caller who wins the game. If not, then Matt should have done something different and is the reason we lost. Seems ridiculuos either way.

DogIsYourName and robertap like this

18 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

That’s if they go to the line with two plays called. That’s not Matt’s option. He can only audible to a play he is also given. 

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification 

4 minutes ago, trubirdfan4life said:

this team scored 10 points per game less this season....players across the board regressed.....common denominator is Sark.

Bottom line

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Actually there were multiple options on that play.  I was watching something and they said it was similar to a play they ran earlier where Harris was the main read on the play and Rudolph was the underneath route.

The one to Diggs was probably the best one for their situation but there were other guys.

In the Falcons situation Sanu is double covered and the FB is one on one on the other side of the field.  It's Julio or bust.  Sure I understand the logic but I also heard that Ryan to Julio in the end-zone was 1 of 18 for the season.  1 of 18.... SMH

How could they have thrown to other guys?  None of the other routes were deep enough for a FG.  They did that on purpose to draw the coverage up shorter than needed and leave Diggs 1 on 1 with the safety.

Anyway, its like a pick play or something like that.  A lot of passes at the 2 yard line are scripted to one guy.  The play should have worked!

Edited by DogIsYourName

5 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

How could they have thrown to other guys?  None of the other routes were deep enough for a FG.  

Anyway, its like a pick play or something like that.  A lot of passes at the 2 yard line are scripted to one guy.  The play should have worked!

And yet it didn't and instead showed the perfect example of why calling a play where you cut the field in half and only give your QB one guy by design is a horrible idea.... because if something happens to that guy you have no other option.  Ryan was lucky he was even able to get the pass off.

And let's not forget the Eagles knew where the play was going before the ball was snapped because of the personnel on the field.  'FB on the left and Sanu and Jones on the right?  Ball must be going that way.'

Ironically the FB was one on one and probably had the inside slant if Ryan didn't roll out to the right and Coleman wasn't horrible.

Again I get the logic of the play but like I said earlier.  Ryan to Julio in the endzone 1 of 18. 

Just now, trubirdfan4life said:

this team scored 10 points per game less this season....players across the board regressed.....common denominator is Sark.

Really???

Dropped passes.... Receiver tipped ints and lack of defensive tds were not big big parts of it???

People forget the last part that helped pump up our points per game.

We had 5 or 6 defensive tds in16......we had 1 in 2017.

In football is is never one guy....a game is never about one play....the game is not played in a vacuum

MD-FalconFan13 and crimsonhawk like this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

And yet it didn't and instead showed the perfect example of why calling a play where you cut the field in half and only give your QB one guy by design is a horrible idea.... because if something happens to that guy you have no other option.  Ryan was lucky he was even able to get the pass off.

And let's not forget the Eagles knew where the play was going before the ball was snapped because of the personnel on the field.  'FB on the left and Sanu and Jones on the right?  Ball must be going that way.'

Ironically the FB was one on one and probably had the inside slant if Ryan didn't roll out to the right and Coleman wasn't horrible.

I think Lolo was the secondary option but he got caught up at the LoS and knocked down. Matt specifically pulled him over before the snap as well. It would have been a pretty good high/low option to have them both flowing that way. 

Falcan Moore likes this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I just disagree.  The Vikings cut the field in half, gave themselves one option, and it worked -- in a much tougher situation than we were in.  Julio choked.  It's not the first time.  Look, he's a great player -- one of the all time great Falcons.  But this season was a step back.  

To take it even further, I don't think we can ignore the trend that lasted all year long.  It's possible that we cannot really count on Julio to come through and win the game for us.  And if not, we need to find someone else to go to in that situation.  Every great team has to have a player that can make the play in the clutch.  Diggs and Theilen showed they can do it.  Julio didn't.  Last year he did.  This year he didn't.

10 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

What irks me is Matt put the ball up for all pro receiver Julio Jones TWICE on that final 4 plays. Julio fails to catch either and Matt gets the blame.

Keenum throws the pass up for Theilin and Diggs, good receivers but not Jones caliber, multiple times. They catch it and Keenum is hailed a hero.

At a certain point all QBs can do is put the ball in play. Its up to the receivers to come down with it. If Julio just goes up and snatches the ball and falls downin the endzone Matt is an elite signal caller who wins the game. If not, then Matt should have done something different and is the reason we lost. Seems ridiculuos either way.

Easily what I was about to write... all I want to say is this;

if julio catches that ball, none of these “Sark is to blame, Matt sucks, play calling is stupid, Quinn can’t coach” comments are near nonexistent. 

DogIsYourName likes this

5 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Again I get the logic of the play but like I said earlier.  Ryan to Julio in the endzone 1 of 18. 

This is a reasonable take. 

I also thought Julio could have played the ball a bit better and possibly come down with it. 

I dont HATE the play call, TBH. But the Coleman piece wasnt great for the reasons youve stated here. If anything, putting Tevin/Free in that spot and flanking them out turns a poor play call into a pretty good one. 

find an OLine that can hold blocks for longer than 2 secs...THEN we can dump on Ryan. for a 10yr, $100million QB to have NEVER had the luxury of stellar line play is ALL on the FO...and now Quinn...and no i'm not a Ryan apologist...just calling like i see it... 

WalkingTheDawg and robertap like this

1 minute ago, DogIsYourName said:

I just disagree.  The Vikings cut the field in half, gave themselves one option, and it worked -- in a much tougher situation than we were in.  Julio choked.  It's not the first time.  Look, he's a great player -- one of the all time great Falcons.  But this season was a step back.  

To take it even further, I don't think we can ignore the trend that lasted all year long.  It's possible that we cannot really count on Julio to come through and win the game for us.  And if not, we need to find someone else to go to in that situation.  Every great team has to have a player that can make the play in the clutch.  Diggs and Theilen showed they can do it.  Julio didn't.  Last year he did.  This year he didn't.

The Vikings didn't cut the field in half because Keenum did a straight drop back and didn't roll out to one side.  If someone was open on the other side of the field he could have thrown it that way and not had to throw it across his body to the other side of the field.

No argument about Julio but I'll just say this.  Practice is important.  Just like at the beginning of the season where Gabriel and Julio didn't play in the pre-season that effects timing in the regular season.

DogIsYourName likes this

26 minutes ago, The Rock said:

Matt Ryan = Unathletic Alex Smith

Because Alex Smith is on pace to set all sorts of NFL record by the end of his career? Ryan is. This comment is ignorant and I suspect intentionally so to get people like me annoyed… LOL 

5 minutes ago, sanfranfalcon said:

find an OLine that can hold blocks for longer than 2 secs...THEN we can dump on Ryan. for a 10yr, $100million QB to have NEVER had the luxury of stellar line play is ALL on the FO...and now Quinn...and no i'm not a Ryan apologist...just calling like i see it... 

Don’t be surprised if we transition away from zone and move  to man power gap scheme. That is Sarkisian‘s preferred running system. Freeman can work well in that… Coleman would get his walking papers he is ideal for a ZBS system

Edited by Falconsin2012