theProf

Falcons 2018 Free Agents and Available Cap-Space

259 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

he didn't produce in college until his 4th year. That's a massive red flag. When a WR doesn't produce until they're already 21-22 years old it's a major red flag. We've seen it time and time again, receivers with big years late in their college careers who get drafted early and bust.

First you said he didn't produce. Which one is it? He was behind more talented WRs his entire career. He was injured his first game of his soph year and was out close to a month. A torn mcl that he played on that entire year. His junior year he started working on his route running. He was still behind Stacey Coley and Ahmmon Richards. He only started 3 games and was fighting am injury bug that whole season too . His senior year he was finally healthy and got the starts. He was Miami's most consistent offensive player. Teams would double him and he would still make plays. Not to mention he can return punts. Average a little over 11 yards a return his junior year and 15 his senior year. I expect him to have a real good combine and pro day 

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

First you said he didn't produce. Which one is it? He was behind more talented WRs his entire career. He was injured his first game of his soph year and was out close to a month. A torn mcl that he played on that entire year. His junior year he started working on his route running. He was still behind Stacey Coley and Ahmmon Richards. He only started 3 games and was fighting am injury bug that whole season too . His senior year he was finally healthy and got the starts. He was Miami's most consistent offensive player. Teams would double him and he would still make plays. Not to mention he can return punts. Average a little over 11 yards a return his junior year and 15 his senior year. I expect him to have a real good combine and pro day 

So in 2016 as a true junior he was behind Stacy Coley who was a 7th round pick and Ahmmon Richards as a true freshman. Let him be a punt returner, the dude is not an NFL WR.

7 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

So in 2016 as a true junior he was behind Stacy Coley who was a 7th round pick and Ahmmon Richards as a true freshman. Let him be a punt returner, the dude is not an NFL WR.

Coley was an underachiever at Miami. He was still a good college player. You base how good a college player is off where he is drafted? Not very smart. And Ahmmon was a freshman All American. He isn't a scrub. Braxton may or may not make it as a pro player. Won't be from lack of a work ethic

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Coley was an underachiever at Miami. He was still a good college player. You base how good college player off is off where he is drafted? Not very smart. And Ahmmon was a freshman All American. He isn't a scrub. Braxton may or may not make it as a pro player. Won't be from lack of a work ethic

I'm concerned about Ahmmon's lack of production in year 2 as well. Prior to this year I was always a very firm believer in "college stats don't matter when it comes to NFL ability" but I've done a lot more research this year and as it turns out it most definitely does.

4 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

I'm concerned about Ahmmon's lack of production in year 2 as well. Prior to this year I was always a very firm believer in "college stats don't matter when it comes to NFL ability" but I've done a lot more research this year and as it turns out it most definitely does.

Ahmmon was hurt the entire season. He was hurt during fall camp. Had a hamstring issues. I'm sure you know hammy's are tough and unpredictable injuries. Reinjured the same hammy during a game. And then he tore his meniscus. I expect Ahmmon to be great next year.

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I can confirm that Matthews would be a full cap savings in the event that he were to be cut. 

He wont be though. 

Man, I can't wait to watch Andre Roberts walk out that door. Dude was B-R-U-T-A-L. 

One reason I put the info about Matthews in the OP was because I was curious about whether a team could cut someone that they extended a 5th-year option on and the salary-cap ramifications thereof.  Thanks for providing the answer.  Also cutting Matthews is potentially the largest cap-saving option available to Atlanta. But as you say, the Falcons won't cut Matthews, because they have no young stud OT replacement waiting in the wings. 

One of the Falcons biggest needs that few are mentioning is Returner. I agree that Roberts was just slightly above horrible. I would like for Atlanta to get another Returner, who might also develop into a bonafide #3 WR.

Ergo Proxy likes this

54 minutes ago, theProf said:

One reason I put the info about Matthews in the OP was because I was curious about whether a team could cut someone that they extended a 5th-year option on and the salary-cap ramifications thereof.  Thanks for providing the answer.  Also cutting Matthews is potentially the largest cap-saving option available to Atlanta. But as you say, the Falcons won't cut Matthews, because they have no young stud OT replacement waiting in the wings. 

One of the Falcons biggest needs that few are mentioning is Returner. I agree that Roberts was just slightly above horrible. I would like for Atlanta to get another Returner, who might also develop into a bonafide #3 WR.

Which; if you kept Gabriel for a reasonable deal, would allow him to be your niche deep threat and Hardy possession WR depth while not relying on developmental picks like M.Hall or R.Davis until ready. Otherwise, if Gabriel leaves WR is a potential first 3 or 4 round need; especially with Roberts being a FA.

Atlanta has to get their OL right to be successful next year; at the very least in the red zone, and including a rebound year for the running game. A better RZ threat like a TE to rely on more would be amazing for this offense. Hooper is still very young and we don't know what the staff believes about Saubert forward. He is taller/slightly faster than Hooper, but is he gonna project to be ready next year to warrant being active and ATL knowing some games it wants 3 TE looks in their gameplan week-to-week or as a staple offensive choice? Toilolo is just that guy you hope they forget about, tbh, but worth his value as a blocker IF the OL doesn't have glaring holes in the interior. 

To me, fix the LOS concerns and address WR depth/FB starter then TE is further down the list unless Saubert left the team with little confidence moving forward or a better TE is available on your board in value at the spot a WR on your board would be a massive reach and you don't see a legit other concern worth the pick at that spot in the draft if you can secure another body of equal value talent wise. So trade down, but it depends on the round you're in and how the first round or two unfolds for the rest of the draft. Yourself and the other teams causing boards to have positions ran off early or later.

Another question is how do the Falcons grade Duke and project him moving forward? We have 'Spoon as a FA again and if Ish leaves what about STs next year? Rely on the drafted guys while they learn the ropes/develop? Is that why we hurt this season on STs for a while?

If Jake's cap hit is that high on the option you would have to think he needs a long-term deal to lower the hit for a year or two. What do other LTs make on average league wide? Will he take a home-team discount at all for getting a long-term deal at his age? EDIT: Eh, looks like he's in line for his cap hit per year on a long-term deal actually. So, it'd maybe save cap space for a year at best depending on the contract structure.:shrug:

Edited by Ergo Proxy

34 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Which; if you kept Gabriel for a reasonable deal, would allow him to be your niche deep threat and Hardy possession WR depth while not relying on developmental picks like M.Hall or R.Davis until ready. Otherwise, if Gabriel leaves WR is a potential first 3 or 4 round need; especially with Roberts being a FA.

Atlanta has to get their OL right to be successful next year; at the very least in the red zone, and including a rebound year for the running game. A better RZ threat like a TE to rely on more would be amazing for this offense. Hooper is still very young and we don't know what the staff believes about Saubert forward. He is taller/slightly faster than Hooper, but is he gonna project to be ready next year to warrant being active and ATL knowing some games it wants 3 TE looks in their gameplan week-to-week or as a staple offensive choice? Toilolo is just that guy you hope they forget about, tbh, but worth his value as a blocker IF the OL doesn't have glaring holes in the interior. 

To me, fix the LOS concerns and address WR depth/FB starter then TE is further down the list unless Saubert left the team with little confidence moving forward or a better TE is available on your board in value at the spot a WR on your board would be a massive reach and you don't see a legit other concern worth the pick at that spot in the draft if you can secure another body of equal value talent wise. So trade down, but it depends on the round you're in and how the first round or two unfolds for the rest of the draft. Yourself and the other teams causing boards to have positions ran off early or later.

Another question is how do the Falcons grade Duke and project him moving forward? We have 'Spoon as a FA again and if Ish leaves what about STs next year? Rely on the drafted guys while they learn the ropes/develop? Is that why we hurt this season on STs for a while?

If Jake's cap hit is that high on the option you would have to think he needs a long-term deal to lower the hit for a year or two. What do other LTs make on average league wide? Will he take a home-team discount at all for getting a long-term deal at his age? EDIT: Eh, looks like he's in line for his cap hit per year on a long-term deal actually. So, it'd maybe save cap space for a year at best depending on the contract structure.:shrug:

Ergo Proxy thanks for your input in this topic thread. To answer your question about average league-wide salaries of left Offensive Tackles:

The top 32 Left OTs in the NFL have an average contract value of $32,817,999 and an average contract life of 4.28 years for an average annual cap-charge of $7,667,757. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/left-tackle/

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, theProf said:

I have to admit that before I read this thread, I assumed that Matthews HAD to be re-signed.  Now that you mentioned a possible savings of 12M in cap space, I am beginning to wonder.  

Of course, IF we were to let Matthews walk, how would we replace him at LT?  Will there be a viable option by our pick at #26?  I doubt it.  It appears that we will need to extend Matthews before March.  

Things are going to get tricky in cap management for Dimitroff soon.   

Let Poe, AC, and Reed walk. Sign Rubin, TG, Levitre, Roberts, Allen, Ward, Gabriel, and Ish. Draft an OG, and DT. Also sign another NT.

I wonder why Spotrac lists Ty Sambrailo as a LT? Looks like $10mil per year over the life is a minimum according to the list to expect Jake to market around. Am I seeing this right? Some trends show $12mil per. Of course, structure of the deal and guaranteed money up or signing bonus front-end can "sweeten" things. "Less per year" on the cap with more guaranteed vs signing bonus?

Ty is on his last year next season. We got him fairly cheap, but I wonder if the team would project him beyond being our #3 OT? LT/RT? What could that do to potentially letting go of Matthews or Schraeder? Just a thought, not a desire to do that. Good problem to have as a team.

If the Falcons pick a WR that can play outside when Sanu goes to the slot, and also has dynamic kickoff and punt return history, im all for it.

Without a returner history, PASS!

16 hours ago, theProf said:

Yeah that option salary is fully cut-able assuming the player in question can pass a physical. Its guaranteed for injury only and exists fully as guaranteed salary with no prorated portion. So they could free up a little bit of space by extending him and pro-rating a signing bonus and maybe nesting a roster bonus which could be converted later. I'd imagine thats what they'll do. They'll try to drop his cap number from $12.5m to ~$9m or so without destroying the future cap. 

I'd definitely want any WR we draft to be considered the solution at returner. The league is taking active measures to decrease the importance of kickoffs so spending actual money to firm up the return game strikes me as a big mistake. But if you can address the return game while adding something to the offense at large, that would be good. 

21 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team will talk to kicker Matt Bryant soon about a contract extension. 

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 2 hours ago

More

Thomas Dimitroff said Matt Ryans contract extension will be a top focus and create flexibility

Ergo Proxy and kiwifalcon like this

Falcons GM: Keeping Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman could work financially

Vaughn McClure

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons general Thomas Dimitroff didn't rule out the possibility of keeping running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman together into the future, although the financial ramifications would seem to indicate otherwise.

................Still, Dimitroff left the window open to signing Coleman to an extension.

"I believe you could realistically do it," Dimitroff said. "I think, again, it comes back to an earlier question when you're talking about looking at all the different spots on the roster and what you can do to create the space."

The question Dimitroff made reference to was how comfortable he felt about the salary-cap situation and the ability to fill holes going into the next season. Although Dimitroff didn't get into specifics, he said "I think we're in a good spot" regarding the salary cap. He said the first priority is signing quarterback Matt Ryan to an extension and indicated that could create some immediate cap relief.

"And again, we do a really good job here, I think, about being creative," Dimitroff said. "Luckily, we have an owner [Arthur Blank] that's allowing us to spend the money, and he doesn't want to leave a whole bunch on the table, so everyone should be happy about that. I know Q [Dan Quinn] and I definitely are. It makes it a lot more manageable when you're putting it all together."

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/31597/falcons-gm-keeping-devonta-freeman-tevin-coleman-could-work-financially

6 free agents the Falcons could target this offseason

By: Matt Urben | January 21, 2018

The Atlanta Falcons are rich with young talent with an experienced, proven quarterback leading the way. The best teams in the NFL sustain success by continuing to address weaknesses and build on strengths each offseason, though.

With approximately $17 million in cap space currently, according to Over the Cap, the Falcons should have some money to spend in free agency this year, especially if they sign Matt Ryan to a mega-deal as expected.

Here’s a look at six potential free agent targets for Atlanta this offseason, focusing in on the positions that need the most improvement.

Tight Ends

Tyler Eifert

Eifert has a top-flight skill set for a tight end. However, his inability to stay healthy is an issue. He played just two games last season but has been an excellent playmaker for Andy Dalton and the Bengals when healthy. His extensive injury history could knock down his price tag a bit, and his upside is huge if he can stay on the field. Austin Hooper is still young, but he isn’t as explosive or as sure-handed as Eifert.

Jimmy Graham

Graham would be a perfect fit in Atlanta as a pass-catching tight end to open up things over the middle of the field. He’d be a huge upgrade over Austin Hooper as an offensive weapon, especially in the red zone. Graham had 520 yards last season for the Seahawks and 10 touchdowns. He may be too pricey for Atlanta, but he’d add something it doesn’t currently possess: someone who demands the same attention as Julio Jones at the goal line.

Guards

Brandon Fusco

The Falcons struggled with their guard situation all season. While they’re confident in their development plan, they could be looking to upgrade there. If so, Brandon Fusco would be a nice fit. He is just 29 and coming off of a pretty good season for the 49ers on a one-year deal. If he could be signed at a fairly reasonable salary, he would be an ideal acquisition.

Andrew Norwell

Norwell has worked his way up from being an undrafted free agent in 2014 to a superstar for the Panthers. He’s an unrestricted free agent and will likely be looking for a long-term deal. If the Falcons want to commit to upgrading their guard rotation, Norwell is the most interesting option. Stealing him away from division-rival Carolina would be an added bonus, as well.

Defensive linemen

Ziggy Ansah

Ansah could be in for a huge payday if he leaves Detroit after finishing with 12 sacks in 2017. His health has been a concern the past few seasons, so there’s definitely some risk. But Ansah is fast, rangy and athletic as ****, which Dan Quinn would absolutely love. The Falcons already have a considerable amount invested in their defensive line, but an addition like Ansah could put the Falcons over the top. Plus, they could be looking for a replacement if they lose Adrian Clayborn.

Sheldon Richardson

Richardson played with Seattle last season after falling out of favor in New York with the Jets. He isn’t as highly-coveted as he was earlier in his career but played in Seattle in a similar defensive scheme. With Dontari Poe an unrestricted free agent, the Falcons could wind up searching for his replacement in free agency. Richardson would make sense as he still has a lot of upside.

http://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/21/6-free-agents-the-falcons-could-target-this-offseason/

On 1/15/2018 at 0:34 PM, Flyin' In DC said:

I am not sure getting a new safety is this teams #1 priority. I don't think it is a given that Poe leaves after this year. No mention of shoring up or even revamping the O-Line. I also don't understand the Robert Alford and or how Trufant is getting so much more love the Alford. My thought is this

1. O-Line -  starting RG - Did something happen to Schraeder after his concussion he was not very good this year

2. DT - What happens to Poe? We do need more beef on the D-Line

3. WR - Julio and Sanu need more help

4. TE and FB

5. Corners

1. Definitely need a least one in FA or draft. I would like one in FA and one in the draft.

2. Draft one in either 1st or 2nd rounds. Poe was better than some believe. So, if we can resign him I’m all for it. 

3. Move Sanu to the slot and find a #2 across from Julio. 

4. Draft both. I like Geliski or Geodert at TE and Flowers at FB in middle rounds.

5. If one’s available in the draft. I like Poole but we don’t have much besides him. 

Edited by TexasFalcon4Life

On 1/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, theProf said:

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team will talk to kicker Matt Bryant soon about a contract extension. 

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 2 hours ago

More

Thomas Dimitroff said Matt Ryans contract extension will be a top focus and create flexibility

Bryant was our MVP this year.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:08 AM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yeah that option salary is fully cut-able assuming the player in question can pass a physical. Its guaranteed for injury only and exists fully as guaranteed salary with no prorated portion. So they could free up a little bit of space by extending him and pro-rating a signing bonus and maybe nesting a roster bonus which could be converted later. I'd imagine thats what they'll do. They'll try to drop his cap number from $12.5m to ~$9m or so without destroying the future cap. 

I'd definitely want any WR we draft to be considered the solution at returner. The league is taking active measures to decrease the importance of kickoffs so spending actual money to firm up the return game strikes me as a big mistake. But if you can address the return game while adding something to the offense at large, that would be good. 

What do you think about Washington’s Dante Pettis?

On 1/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

I wonder why Spotrac lists Ty Sambrailo as a LT? Looks like $10mil per year over the life is a minimum according to the list to expect Jake to market around. Am I seeing this right? Some trends show $12mil per. Of course, structure of the deal and guaranteed money up or signing bonus front-end can "sweeten" things. "Less per year" on the cap with more guaranteed vs signing bonus?

Ty is on his last year next season. We got him fairly cheap, but I wonder if the team would project him beyond being our #3 OT? LT/RT? What could that do to potentially letting go of Matthews or Schraeder? Just a thought, not a desire to do that. Good problem to have as a team.

I wouldn’t mind him getting a look at RT. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

On 1/16/2018 at 10:06 AM, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Yep. I'd like to see either Marcel Ateman or Michael Gallup in the draft.

Got to see Ateman a lot. He has all the intangibles except elite speed. Great RZ target. He should impress at the combine. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

On 1/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, texasfalconfan said:

i was looking at this last week and to be honest we save a lot by cutting levitre. im on the femce about resigning poe, our run defense was weak and thats what he was paid to do. i want us to bring clayborn back but more of a rotational guy with mckinley but i think he will bring more money elsewhere. but we free up a lot of cap space cutting levitre

If we cut Levitre, then we will have the same problem at LG that we are having now at RG.  We need to re sign Levitre and get a good FA for RG, a rookie there likely doesn't solve the problem .  As for the cap, Ryan's contract , and possibly Levitre's can be  restructured. There are enough cuts that can be made to free up more cap space, they could start with Roberts , who is worthless. There are players in the draft that can be as good as the marginal players that we have now.

39 minutes ago, TexasFalcon4Life said:

Got to see Ateman a lot. He has all the intangibles except elite speed. Great RZ target. He should impress at the combine. 

Yes. This team needs a great red zone target 

Ergo Proxy likes this

I’d really like us to take a run at Tyler Eifert he’s had some injury issues but is a beast in red zone and would help our red zone issues. Like 3 years 21/24 million range. Sammy Watkins is another speed WR I think could be a good value signing to play outside and take some tops off the D.