NFL officials are so full of themselves

TheFalcoholic

Agree that the officials are often full of themselves and are becoming more and more of a factor in the game, but in this case, he may just be covering his bases. These guys are being assessed for their performance as well, and it can impact what future assignments they get. If the rules stipulate a flag should be thrown, I can understand the ref throwing the flag for his own sake, even though he knows it's not going to have any impact. 

1 minute ago, Expert Poster said:

Agree that the officials are often full of themselves and are becoming more and more of a factor in the game, but in this case, he may just be covering his bases. These guys are being assessed for their performance as well, and it can impact what future assignments they get. If the rules stipulate a flag should be thrown, I can understand the ref throwing the flag for his own sake, even though he knows it's not going to have any impact. 

Yea, I'm not at all surprised he threw the flag. I mean, that is one of the main rules, you don't take your helmet off on the field of play. He very lazily tossed the flag up, he's just doing his job.

Reminds me of when people get offended when they get carded by a bartender when they are clearly over 21... Well, the law says a drinker must have a valid ID to buy alcohol, don't get annoyed at the bartender who's just doing their job...

11 minutes ago, thomass said:

Lmao. Good catch.   Officiating is so bad now.  We need better referring at all levels. 

You have the best refs your going to get tbh. These guys were largely regarded as the elites in whatever officiating organization they were in for many many years before they finally got into the NFL. The issue is as instant replay became more prominent the rules became more complicated because you could dissect more. 

8 minutes ago, Expert Poster said:

Agreed, if he hadn't of thrown it some coach, fan, or whatever would've been bishing and protesting it.  

13 minutes ago, Leggggggo said:

Yea, I'm not at all surprised he threw the flag. I mean, that is one of the main rules, you don't take your helmet off on the field of play. He very lazily tossed the flag up, he's just doing his job.

Reminds me of when people get offended when they get carded by a bartender when they are clearly over 21... Well, the law says a drinker must have a valid ID to buy alcohol, don't get annoyed at the bartender who's just doing their job...

Funny you should say that, as I was actually going to use the analogy of a doorman or store clerk checking IDs of people clearly over 21 because they know they could be reprimanded if they don't.