Scott1988

Falcons are drafting #26

85 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

TD better figure it out. We've seen teams sign players when they seem to have little to no cap room. I'm not saying break the bank in FA, but we have to fix the trenches with proven players while still trying to resign our own.  

We can definitely make room. Matt and Matthews have high cap numbers right now. I expect both to get extensions this offseason which will lower their number. We have got to improve the OL and I think the logical place to look is free agency. The draft can take care of our other needs such as DT, WR, DL, TE 

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

That would be a big win if we could keep our pick and get a DT. I don't want to trade up for a LB tbh. Smith is a stud, but if we trade up, let it be for a stud at a position of need. 

Actually Smith is the only LB i would trade up for and it's because it upgrades the most positions with 1 pick.    Smith is probably the best tackler in the entire draft and in college football i think he didn't miss 1 tackle all season until the final game.   We need someone thats as sure a tackler as him at MLB.  Luckily our WLb and MLB play very similar roles but wlb is a bit more in coverage which is Debo's best strength and he is a sideline to sideline demon but so is Smith.     If you take Smith you at the very least keep MLB the same talent as Debo with better tackling,  You tremendously upgrade WLB with Debo over Campbell and Duke, you finally put Campbell back to purely being a SLB where he belongs and not making him do WLB half the time and it puts Beasley purely back at DE and not in coverage at SLB.

So you upgrade  MLB, WLB, SLB, and DE  with 1 pick putting everyone where their traits and style of play fits the best at.  As said though Smith is the only guy in the draft i would trade up for to do this though as their are no other LB's worthy of doing this with much better than what we already have.

1 hour ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

TD better figure it out. We've seen teams sign players when they seem to have little to no cap room. I'm not saying break the bank in FA, but we have to fix the trenches with proven players while still trying to resign our own.  

Yes well I think with possibly deals for Beasley Jarrett Jones Matthews 10-12 mill for a G maybe a tall order.I think they can get it done for sure but we'll be robbing peter to pay Paul and those fringe guys that you may need may have to hit the road.

4 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

honestly i don't think we need to trade up for a DT their are 4 really good ones all similar talent around our 26th pick.  Daron Payne, Christian Wilkins, Maurice Hurst, and Vita Vea all are expected to be picked between 20 to 30.  Then you also have Taven from Florida who is supposed to go around there as well.

We are in a really good spot in the draft for our biggest need their are only 2 players in this draft that if the fell to say 15 to 20 i would trade up for and thats Roquan Smith and Quenton Nelson  both ar around the 10th pick value wise so a small drop to 15 isn't unheard of because of the positions they play at LB and RG. 

Agree, except Roquan.  He is a phenomenal player and will be a monster on the right NFL team, but we already have him in Deion Jones.  

I believe that Riley will be a much better prepared player next season.  He has amazing speed and ferocity and now, after a year, he will know better what the heck he should be doing. 

Nelson is supposed to be a once-in-decade type OL and I would trade up for him.

Most likely, we will stay put and draft a DL in the first and take care of OG in both FA and the second round.  

2 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Actually Smith is the only LB i would trade up for and it's because it upgrades the most positions with 1 pick.    Smith is probably the best tackler in the entire draft and in college football i think he didn't miss 1 tackle all season until the final game.   We need someone thats as sure a tackler as him at MLB.  Luckily our WLb and MLB play very similar roles but wlb is a bit more in coverage which is Debo's best strength and he is a sideline to sideline demon but so is Smith.     If you take Smith you at the very least keep MLB the same talent as Debo with better tackling,  You tremendously upgrade WLB with Debo over Campbell and Duke, you finally put Campbell back to purely being a SLB where he belongs and not making him do WLB half the time and it puts Beasley purely back at DE and not in coverage at SLB.

So you upgrade  MLB, WLB, SLB, and DE  with 1 pick putting everyone where their traits and style of play fits the best at.  As said though Smith is the only guy in the draft i would trade up for to do this though as their are no other LB's worthy of doing this with much better than what we already have.

Using that logic, you upgrade WLB, SLB and DE by just developing Duke Riley.  DR has tremendous talent.  His problem was that he was thrown into the mix too soon.  The game will slow down for him and he will end up being a devastating defender.

BTW, I believe that Deion Jones is very quickly turning into the game's best MLB.  Use the draft pick to acquire another talented DT and you will see DJ flourish.    

We might have to let Poe go too expensive but maybe teams won't be rushing to give him big$$$ so he may resign. The same with an injured Andy Levitre I don't think he will get a lot of big $$ interest in FA and may resign at a reduced rate. TD is smart in this area. If we can't get Roquan I say we get Vit or Christian Wilkins in the 1st and bring back Hageman. That saves us at least 7 million after Poe goes. It is dicey throwing rookie OL's into the frey against the kind of DL's we saw this past year. Mack loved a smart Chester beside him even though some of you didn't. I think we have to go FA on the OL. A mid tier guy to go with Levitre, Garland, Harlow, a Draft Pick and Wes won't break the bank.  I like the big back from Alabama Scarborough in the 4th if there. We take a Christian Kirk like at WR in the 3rd. We go for a fast TE in the 6th or low level FA TE. One of the kids from GT defense will surprise. The 6:2 FS A.J. from Washington County or the OLB  they started at DE for 3 years with the 7th pick or unsigned draft pick. The pressure will be on after the last 2 years and the SB in Atlanta. We CAN'T be in a rebuilding mode this year we have to leave no stone unturned like AB promised because MR, AB, Mack and AB are aging! 

5 hours ago, BirdLegs said:

Actually that's accurate. Quinn wants to play Alford at the nickel spot in pass rushing packages... I think he'd pick off some nice passes there and outside in base.

but not in the 1st round. No need to make Poole obsolete. DT is a huge need. Aside from Grady we dont even have another DT...considering Poe and Rubin are free agents.Maybe even double dip. Then WR/DB/TE

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have Alford opposite Trufant.

And Alford is a better corner. 

8 hours ago, rh50 said:

You guys realize we haven’t drafted an offensive player in the first round since Julio. I think the lack of injection of talent on that side of the ball came home to roost this season. 

Matthews. 

I would love to be able to consistently open holes for our backs to run through...especially if we can keep Coleman. Get Ryan more time in the pocket and he can execute any offense. 

I just dont don’t want to become Seattle 2.0 where all the talent is on defense and our franchise QB stays running for his life. Please let’s not let that happen...we will never win a SB that way

JDaveG likes this

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yes well I think with possibly deals for Beasley Jarrett Jones Matthews 10-12 mill for a G maybe a tall order.I think they can get it done for sure but we'll be robbing peter to pay Paul and those fringe guys that you may need may have to hit the road.

With the production we are getting from Beasley, he might be expendable. We have some hard decision to make. But that's what good teams do. We hit on another DE in the draft and Beasley is gone IMO

I don’t expect us to sign a FA that actually starts for this team. $$$ in FA is just too rich. They will use their money on Jake and Rico most likely. You may also see Reed, Clayborn or Upshaw resign at a short term deal. I fully expect Crawford and Shelby to have increased rolls in 2018.

DT could be the 1st pick, but I wouldn’t put it past Quinn to roll with a Rubin and Crawford rotation and give Grady all snaps.

Rico is the big one for me. It will be interesting to see if they give FS to Kazee. If they did, they could open the door for a G or WR3/Returner FA pickup, but the coaching staff just speaks too highly to think that is coming.

Offseason will be boring, but it will have some big decisions.

4 hours ago, etherdome said:

Using that logic, you upgrade WLB, SLB and DE by just developing Duke Riley.  DR has tremendous talent.  His problem was that he was thrown into the mix too soon.  The game will slow down for him and he will end up being a devastating defender.

Really? What have you seen from The Duke so far to make these outlandish claims?

Slappywhite likes this

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

OG unless elite won’t make 10-12 M. A good to decent OG can be had for 6-8 M.

50 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Really? What have you seen from The Duke so far to make these outlandish claims?

He is an aggressive player that looks for collisions and he is fast.  The problem is that he is not analyzing the plays in front of him.  As soon as he sits and studies the game, he will be very good.

1 hour ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

With the production we are getting from Beasley, he might be expendable. We have some hard decision to make. But that's what good teams do. We hit on another DE in the draft and Beasley is gone IMO

Beasley, at this point, won’t be that expensive to keep. He’s basically a situational pass rusher and will be treated as such. No reason to let him go. Keep developing Takk, he’s the future. Still have other dudes that can play DE in base, Clayborn, Shelby, Crawford when he comes back. Not saying we shouldn’t draft another DE, but not a replacement for Beasley. 

It depends what we do in FA obviously but...

i think that OG, DT, or LB would be the logical choices. With DE or TE being a possibility too. I expected (along with others on the board) Hooper to take a big step this year but he just didn't. I personally think he needs to work on his release off the line along with his hands. Maybe they'll draft a TE this year to compete for a spot or maybe they will not. We'll see.

OG could be a possibility in FA because we had quite of bit of interest in a couple OGs last year in FA so that's something to look out for.

We need a pocket collapsing DT. This D is on the verge of being special, and that is the last major piece. Need a Fletcher Cox, K Short type to put next to Jarrett.

i like The idea of Vita Vae, but not sure if he is that guy. Is he more like what we have in Poe, or is he like Ngata (super quick w the size)?

not sure what they will do at OG. Do they feel Wes will continue to improve? Do they feel better about Harlow than we do, and just want to let him learn? We have a lot of young talent to develop at OG, so would rather address that w a vet if needed. Levitre is a man and his cap situation doesn’t justify releasing him (8.5 salary, 7 dead money to cut)

positions I could see at 26: DT, OLB, OG, WR, FS, DE (if Vic will be OLB)

9 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

plus 10 , nice post , you nailed it , I'm thinking the same way , but I lack articulation 

11 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Trade up and get Payne. Address OG in FA. 

First pick needs to be DT IMO. 

Why? We just had a Top 10 defense and if we resign Poe, we have 2 starters at DT?

It's clear that the biggest hole is at OG, not DT. Furthermore, Payne will go Top 15. He's a stud.

Billy Price is the draft pick.