2nd Year with Sark = better?

The Vent King

3 minutes ago, The Vent King said:

Idk about sanfran’s opinion but I was disheartened badly with Shanny after 2015 because I just thought he would be better and was the exact opposite of what I expected. Truth be told I was more disillusioned with Shanny his first yr than Sark this year.

Yea we all were. And then next season everything was just clicking. Patience is a virtue. Chemistry is so critical in sports. Quinn has done a great job building this defense. He should let Sark and Ryan continue to build a stronger working relationship.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea we all were. And then next season everything was just clicking. Patience is a virtue. Chemistry is so critical in sports. Quinn has done a great job building this defense. He should let Sark and Ryan continue to build a stronger working relationship.

Agreed. I just can’t see how they won’t be better next season. If they are and this defense continues on the track they’re on...I’m already stoked about next year

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You’re right that that’s how it works when you see that kind of drop in production. But great leaders (like Blank) look at the situation globally. The offense clearly lacked chemistry and confidence this season. There are a LOT of reasons for that. Some on Sark, some on the players themselves. With another offseason of working together, this likely gets better. I’m not suggesting the offense returns to 2016 form. But I do believe the offense score more points next season that it did this season. 

my problem is i saw nothing from Sark to make me feel that way. sure there will probably less drops, etc but we shoulda seen signs of him scheming his players better. again i say Sark called plays relying on their talent...not his schemes!! thats what college coaches do...

1 minute ago, sanfranfalcon said:

my problem is i saw nothing from Sark to make me feel that way. sure there will probably less drops, etc but we shoulda seen signs of him scheming his players better. again i say Sark called plays relying on their talent...not his schemes!! thats what college coaches do...

That’s also what Shanahan did in 2015.

We need better execution from the players and better coaching too. There's reason to believe we won't see so many drops next year. The same pass catchers did much better last season. As far as coaching, yes, they too should improve. 

But the question I ask is whether or not Sark will get as much production from our offense as someone else. I don't think Sark gives us a competitive advantage at OC. That's ultimately what determines if the OC is individually up to snuff.

And yes, coaching plays a role in execution. Just look at the strides our defense has made in tackling. Quinn deserves some credit in that. Bill B. is famous for having teams that do their job. Shanny creates mismatches that make it easier for his players to win against their man. You get my drift. Julio dropped a tough one last night in the end zone- the defense knew what we were doing, he was running out of space and well covered. If he was more open due to the defense not knowing the play then it's not as tough of a catch. If he has a mismatch it helps.  That's how the play caller can help his players execute better.

1 hour ago, The Vent King said:

I remember how salty this place was after Shannahan’s first year. People questioned his play calling, wondered why Ryan was making mistake after mistake, why we didn’t do this or that. Then in their 2nd year together after the Iceman became more familiar with that new offense he became an MVP and the offense lit the league on fire.

Do any of you think we could possibly see that type of jump or ANY improvement at all in our 2nd season with Sark? I’m not saying we need to be or will be ever as good as Shanny’s offense either. Just enough of an improvement that with our growing defensive abilities we can get over the hump and win it all.

Personally I hope so...what do u all think?

First year shanny got us Tamme, Levitre, Chester, and Tevin Coleman. Ryan was also adjusting to a new blocking and passing scheme of course it would take time. First year sark took over a premade offense and was told not to F up. He brought us such gems as hill, saubert, and Harlow. I doubt we will see any substantial improvement.

Count me as a skeptic.

Unless Sark figures out how to use his player line ups better (ala Shanahan), then that's a maybe about this offense improving. 

Familiarity with the offense goes both ways: the players learning the plays better and the coordinator actually knowing what talent he has on the field and calling plays to their strengths.

1 hour ago, Atownbrave said:

Well to tell you the truth I kind of don't think so simply because Kyle Shanahan had more 30-point games whether they will wins or losses in his first year then sarkisian did. The losses that Kyle Shanahan had with the offense was due to mistakes not inept playcalling. Thats just my opinion. Good post bro!

and Kyle Shananhan did that in his 1st year without Alex Mack, Mohammad Sanu, or Taylor Gabriel. 

I see them being better just because of luck and the fact that the upgrades for the offense are so obvious (but so was Freeman not being the best option against the Eagles).

We had so many drops, lucky-bounce interceptions, and bad penalties that something has got to go our way.  It may be a bad to say, but I don't think our offense could play worse given its talent.  We also will have an easier schedule and probably will not be in as many prime time games on awkward days/odd times and no games in London.

As for improvement, the FB, OG and TE positions seem to be a consensus with Derrick, Schweitzer and Hooper being put in reserve roles or not being on the roster at all next year.  FA will give us the most ready-to-go options here as the draft is better for the future for these 3 positions.  The key will be getting these resolved before preseason so they have time to familiarize with our offense.

Sarkisian probably knows he is on a very thin sheet of ice and any kind of slow start next year will probably have Quinn worrying about his own job.  Sark will probably be pressuring Dimitroff to get him some upgrades on offense and will also probably have a very tough preseason forcing players to work on things like pass-catching.  Sark will definitely not get a 3rd year if the offense does not improve.

29 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You’re right that that’s how it works when you see that kind of drop in production. But great leaders (like Blank) look at the situation globally. The offense clearly lacked chemistry and confidence this season. There are a LOT of reasons for that. Some on Sark, some on the players themselves. With another offseason of working together, this likely gets better. I’m not suggesting the offense returns to 2016 form. But I do believe the offense score more points next season that it did this season. 

I hope you're right, I really do. Even though I never liked Shannahan (arrogant arse, did Roddy dirty) I knew it would be better the next year as Ryan really struggled that year. This year it was a combination of too many self-inflicted wounds, bad luck interceptions, the inability by coaches (Sark, DQ) to correct mistakes, and, at many times, horrible play calling.

1 hour ago, The Vent King said:

I remember how salty this place was after Shannahan’s first year. People questioned his play calling, wondered why Ryan was making mistake after mistake, why we didn’t do this or that. Then in their 2nd year together after the Iceman became more familiar with that new offense he became an MVP and the offense lit the league on fire.

Do any of you think we could possibly see that type of jump or ANY improvement at all in our 2nd season with Sark? I’m not saying we need to be or will be ever as good as Shanny’s offense either. Just enough of an improvement that with our growing defensive abilities we can get over the hump and win it all.

The difference was that you could see potential with that Falcons offense for them to get better. I don't see this offense getting better unless major changes are made.

1 hour ago, Atownbrave said:

Exactly. If anything we should have offered Kyle Shanahan more money I mean for the love of God how does New England keep their offense of coordinator for so long why can't we keep a good offense of coordinator for a significant amount of time Atlanta just can't have nothing huh we can't have a Superbowl we can't have the coaches or anything

Because Josh McDaniels has already been a HC once and scared a lot of teams off by the way he handled the personnel side of things. But lots of talk about McDaniels getting a HC job this offseason.

34 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The difference was that you could see potential with that Falcons offense for them to get better. I don't see this offense getting better unless major changes are made.

Why’s that? Offense still finished 1st in 3rd down percentage and 5th in yards per play. Just need some new blockers which can definitely be done. Unless that’s what you meant by major changes?

Edited by JD dirtybird21

No telling what might happen if we don't lead the league in drops. I'm more concerned ab the **** we saw last night tho. 44 yards offense going into the 4th quarter was it? Inexcusable. Not to mention that sorry *** play to end the game. That alone should be a fireable offense and I've stuck up for the little mfer all year..... 

2 hours ago, The Vent King said:

Doubt it

10 minutes ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

No telling what might happen if we don't lead the league in drops. I'm more concerned ab the **** we saw last night tho. 44 yards offense going into the 4th quarter was it? Inexcusable. Not to mention that sorry *** play to end the game. That alone should be a fireable offense and I've stuck up for the little mfer all year..... 

I concur

2 hours ago, The Vent King said:

Sark didn’t bring the same NFL resume of success on Offense with him that Shanny did. There is no reason to believe that it will be any better in year 2 as the problem is not Matt Ryan understanding a complex offense like it was with Shanny. 

We are better off ripping the bandaid off and getting someone highly qualified who has a history of highly productive offenses in the NFL 

I’m not sure who is realistically available now for OC does anyone know ?

I think it will get a little better, but he needs to go. The hire never made sense.

We hired him to run Shanahan's system. He will never understand the intricacies and nuances of that offense. Sark has been running his O for decades and we ask him to do something different.

He may understand it a bit better next year. However, most likely we incorporate more of HIS offense which is likely crap and creates a learning curve for players and a hodge podge offense with no identity.