Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stoic

THEDRAFT: OL and DL...plain and simple.

50 posts in this topic

Just now, *TMo* said:

I agree wholeheartedly, interior defensive linemen, interior offensive linemen.
Veteran free agents or draft, just get 'em from somewhere.

Agreed! I would bring in a proven FA or two, and Draft OL/DL in the first 4 rounds. Maybe even bring in a stout LB

*TMo*, Stoic, celtiksage and 1 other like this

At the beginning of the season, Quinn was asked whether he was comfortable with the personnel on the OL going into the season (with Garland and Schweitzer). And he was.

Wrong answer!!

They didn't do enough to address the OG and now you see the results.

i wouldn't be upset if the draft were all OL and DL. 

Also need FB and TE. Draft and Free Agency are critical this year - win those and Atlanta will contend for the Super Bowl again.

camfalcon and Stoic like this

We got dominated on the LOS on D that's for sure, no pressure on Foles all night. Very sad to see us lose that way and in offense why: Free 10 carries...7 entire yards.

Then expect to go wide and win? We knew we'd have to pass. We didn't have to line to successfully run he ball consistently this year.

I think the team needs a LB more than DT. It will help free up Beasley to play DE again. I agree we need OL help in the draft but also in FA. I think it is worth kicking the tires on Greg Robinson as a guard. I know he didn't play well as a LT, but he is real young, only 25, and he is more athletic than 99% of the OL out there. 

Anyway my guess is the Falcons will draft at positions I don't want them to. So I expect them to draft a TE, SS, FS, WR, RB, and FB and maybe take an OL late in the draft, cuz Falcons.

MSalmon likes this

4 minutes ago, rudy said:

At the beginning of the season, Quinn was asked whether he was comfortable with the personnel on the OL going into the season (with Garland and Schweitzer). And he was.

Wrong answer!!

They didn't do enough to address the OG and now you see the results.

Under Mike Smith and Dan Quinn, guard has not seemed a priority. Maybe if had been more of a priority, Matt Ryan would not have had to roll out on 4th down on an all or nothing play. The Aints year after year make sure that Brees is protected up the middle while the Falcons draft projects late and hope for the best.

vitaman and Total Package like this

The Falcons have been drafting pass rushers for years in the first round and still have no pass rush.  I would much rather draft a G or a good TE or WR if one is out there.

I would sign Andrew Norwell and draft 

DT - round 1 

WR - round 2 

DL or OL - round 3 

DL or OL - round 4 

Edited by rbrick28

2 minutes ago, Stoic said:

1) OG

2) DT

3) OL

4) DL

5) ....

I dont disagree, but I think we need a middle of the field threat and thats not Hooper. Its clear his shortcomings on athleticsm coming out of college are a problem at the NFL level. We have no vertical passing game in the middle of the field which allows teams really move coverage to Julio. We have no WRs outside of Julio and Sanu. DOnt kid yourself, Shanahan made Gabriel, hes not good and all others are undersized as well. We need a solid WR that is also a speed threat.

I dont think the DL is as bad as some think, but I do think we need to figure out what Vic Beasley is for us and we also need to decide on Poe....if we retain him, I think DT is not as much of an issue, but depth is needed there bc Upshaw is garbage. We also shouldnt keep Clayborn on a fat contract which he will get. His sacks all came in one game. He didnt produce consistenetly enough for me, which is why I actually think DE is more important.

On the the OL, we started an UDFA and a 7th rounder at RG and LG...neither should be NFL starters and furthermore, our 4th round OG we drafted last year could even make the active roster, which is an FO problem...we need a OG/OC combo that can play OG next year and mvoe in to OC after Mack.

Here are my thoughts:

We have 3-4 good eyars left of Matt Ryan AND Julio Jones (after maybe Ryan remains solid, but age and injuries will catch up to Julio). We need to maximize this offense while we still can. The defense didnt lose us this game of hurt us down the stretch of the season. It was a lackluster offense and playcalling, so ....

Mock Off-season:

1. Coaching Changes

Replace Sarkisian (if he doesnt leave). GO all out on this hire, meaning pay someone like Todd Haley $3 million to be OC, or whoever, get an offensive perfectionist.

Let ST Coach go. I cant count how many punts should've been blocked or were along with FGs this year. Not to mention the coverage was terrible all year. We go lucky with poor play by other teams on the turnovers.

2. Current Roster Moves

Let walk: Adrian Clayborn, Taylor Gabriel, Andre Roberts, Courtney Upshaw, Nick Williams

Resign: Dontari Poe, Matt Bryant, Kemal Ishmael, Ahtyba Rubin, Ben Garland, Derrick Coleman

June 1 Cut: Brooks Reed and Andy Levitre ($7 mil and $3.7 mil) provides extra $$ needed for FA

Extend: Matt Ryan (help bring down cap amount for 2018) and Jake Matthews (bring down cap amount)

*While Im not a huge fan of Jake Matthews, I think he is solid, and we should be "surgical" with his extension

3. Free Agency

It wont be popular, but get Jimmy Graham. Even if he is slowing down, he makes a difference in how teams defend, especially with him down the seam. Julio becomes more open on outs and goes and Sanu will do better what he does best which is roam around the 5-10 yard area for quick hits and first downs.

Add a veteran DE. I know there will too much talk surrounding Michael Bennett. DQ coached him and knows him more than any coach not in SEA. It will be hard not to see this one if Bennett really wants to "win" and not be a locker room cancer, but I'm not sure that will be the case, so plug in whatever rotational DE you want there, but Im putting $$ in Bennett to be our Base DE

4. NFL Draft

1. Billy Price OG/OC Ohio State

2. Harrison Phillips DT Stanford

3. Duke Ejiofor DE Wake Forest

4. James Washington WR Oklahoma State

6. Nyles Morgan ILB Notre Dame

7. Whoever you want

2018 Roster

QB: Ryan, Schaub

RB: Freeman, Coleman, Ward, UDFA

FB: Coleman

WR: Jones, Sanu, Washington, Hardy, UDFA

TE: Graham, Hooper, Tiololo, Saubert

LT: Matthews, Sambrallio

LG: Price

OC: Mack

RG: Schweitzer, Harlow, Garland (whoever wins)

RT: Schraeder

LEO: McKinley, Beasley

DT: Jarrett, Phillips, Crawford

NT: Poe, Rubin

DE: Bennett, Shelby, Ejiofor

OLB: Campbell

ILB: Jones, Morgan

OLB: Riley, Ishmael

CB: Trufant, Poole, Goodwin

CB: Alford, Kazee, Ojeletye

FS: Allen

SS: Neal, Neasman

K: Bryant

P: Bosher

PR: Hardy

KR: Washington

celtiksage likes this

2 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

Under Mike Smith and Dan Quinn, guard has not seemed a priority. Maybe if had been more of a priority, Matt Ryan would not have had to roll out on 4th down on an all or nothing play. The Aints year after year make sure that Brees is protected up the middle while the Falcons draft projects late and hope for the best.

The Aints pay more attention to the interior line is because Drew Brees is short and he needs better protection in middle for him to throw.

At this stage TE is a luxury, would rather grab a FA vet and give Hooper another year to see what hes made of. (Tamme was good for us)

We need a WR in one of the first 3 rounds

• Julio is the only guy that can legit get open and make plays (29 this year)
  • Sanu is a move the chains sorta big bodied guy that can make a few plays once he has the ball (29 this year)
  • Hardy is not going to become anything more than what he currently is, he has good hands and runs decent routes but he is not going to be anything more than a middling slot guy
  • Gabriel disappeared this year and was written out of the offense, odds are he is going to San Fran
  • Roberts... lol
  • Williams, a lesser version of Hardy
  • Hall has speed and that is it

We need someone to tandem Julio like he did with Roddy.

We still need DL and OL but if a good WR is available we should take him.

Edited by quotemokc

2 hours ago, nbostp said:

The Falcons have been drafting pass rushers for years in the first round and still have no pass rush.  I would much rather draft a G or a good TE or WR if one is out there.

And yet we were 5 away from being 5th in the league.