Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
datchrisb1

Quick Mock based on teams areas of improvement

22 posts in this topic

Just more specifics of how I look at things when I do a Mock.

Specific core areas we need to improve (in order of importance)

• 1. short yardage gains (when it's 3rd and inches, how well can we execute)
  • 2. improve our red zone efficiency (inside the 20 when the field is condensed, how well do we execute)
  • 3. 3rd down defense, I don't think we have a problem getting them to 3rd down, just a problem getting off the field
  • 4. Creating more turnovers
  • 5. Big plays on offense

Round 1: Taven Bryant DT (Florida: Applies to improvement #3)- Teams struggling on third down defense can be from a number of issues.  This is a pick meant to improve defense against short yardage as well as passing situations on 3rd down. Bryant is a quick twitch athlete who can improve both.

Round 2: J.C. Jackson CB (Maryland: Applies to improvement #3 and #4)- This is a pick meant for 3rd down on passing situations. This usually depends on a team's overall speed, ability to form tackle prevent YAC, and corner depth. This improves all 3 areas, he's a head hunter, physical corner who can play well in man coverage. You can be taught zone, man is something that either you have it or you don't.

Round 3: Isaiah Wynns OG (UGA: Applies to improvement #1)- Just because it's the number one area of improvement doesn't mean you have to spend a 1st round pick on that area. And just conceptually, outside zones aren't the best at achieving short yardage. In a way that's what I see in the Saints, they have personnel for both and run both. Wynns fits perfectly in what we do as far as zone blocking goes, he's a very athletic lineman who can get to the second level very quickly. 

Round 4: Nick Bawden FB/TE (SanDiego St: Applies to improvement #2 and #1)- Bawden has good hands and is a legit run blocker when needed. There can be a lot of reasons teams struggle in the red zone. The majority of the time is overall execution in general. They have a condensed shortened field, you have to be spot on in doing what you are suppose to do and being where you are suppose to be especially in a primarily timing type offenses. The most well rounded balanced offenses are the best in the red zone. And I don't mean well rounded as in you attempt both run and pass, I mean well rounded as you are efficient in both run and pass. Zone blocking run plays will struggle without a very good fullback, if you don't believe me, look at the difference between last year and this year for our team.

Round 6: Brandon Powell KR/WR (Florida: Applies to improvement #5)- Very under the radar because of Florida's lack of a QB. He's is a playmaker. A threat for 6 points every time he touches the ball.

Round 7: Byron Cowart DE (Auburn: Applies to improvement #3)- Just a shot in the dark really, I remember hearing about this dude and hoped he would play for UGA. He hasn't lived up to the hype but he could be one of those players who arrive with a chip on their shoulders and shine at the next level.

Edited by datchrisb1
Slappywhite likes this

Thanks for your effort. 

1.) Do you think Bryan could play the Red Bryant/Michael Bennett SDE role rather than DT? 

2.) Regarding Wynn, I say this in basically every thread, but beware of college guards. Most of them are not athletic enough to play guard in the NFL. Most NFL guards played tackle in college. That is where the more athletic linemen play. The Falcons play an athletic offensive line scheme. 

3.) 4th round is high for a FB, even the very end of the round where the Falcons are picking. 

1 hour ago, Summerhill said:

2.) Regarding Wynn, I say this in basically every thread, but beware of college guards. Most of them are not athletic enough to play guard in the NFL. Most NFL guards played tackle in college. That is where the more athletic linemen play. The Falcons play an athletic offensive line scheme. 

Wynn actually played tackle, and played well this year. I believe his natural position is guard though. If he falls to the 3rd I wouldn't mind the falcons taking him. 

datchrisb1 and Slappywhite like this

17 minutes ago, mikeg272 said:

Wynn actually played tackle, and played well this year. I believe his natural position is guard though. If he falls to the 3rd I wouldn't mind the falcons taking him. 

My bad UGA's athletic site hasn't updated for the 2017 season and they showed him at guard for 2016. I see he is kind of short at 6'2", officially. Could he potentially play center? 

32 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

My bad UGA's athletic site hasn't updated for the 2017 season and they showed him at guard for 2016. I see he is kind of short at 6'2", officially. Could he potentially play center? 

I don’t see why he couldn’t play center, but he’s a very good guard prospect. He might be an ideal guy for the falcons day 2. He moves really well and is a very stout run blocker (obviously). I also saw that he didn’t allow a pressure in the National championship playing against a great defense. He’s got a pro bowl ceiling at guard and will probably at least be a good run blocker. 

3 hours ago, mikeg272 said:

College LT to NFL OG is a good transition to have, honestly. Gives a better pass blocker and more athletic player to work with. Green Bay has done this for years. Atlanta also has done this with their recent selections:

2013 UDFA OT Ryan Schraeder (college LT to pro RT)

2014 LT Jake Matthews

2016 OL Wes Schweitzer (college LT to pro RG)

2017 OL Sean Harlow (college LT to pro OG)

So taking another college LT to move inside doesn't hurt.

Summerhill likes this

Op your first two problems on your go to list relate 2 the offensive side of the ball yet you've gone defense early.

Also I don't think the others 3,4 and 5 are an issue at all if I'm honest.

The only way I see us going d-line with the first pick is if they let Poe walk.

For me I'd be looking TE and an inline pass catching and blocking guy with one of those first 2 picks,you want to improve the offense TE is the biggest position of need.

Also I think this is quiet possibly one of the only drafts where we could in actual fact just add talent position regardless.

4 hours ago, Scott Carasik said:

College LT to NFL OG is a good transition to have, honestly. Gives a better pass blocker and more athletic player to work with. Green Bay has done this for years. Atlanta also has done this with their recent selections:

2013 UDFA OT Ryan Schraeder (college LT to pro RT)

2014 LT Jake Matthews

2016 OL Wes Schweitzer (college LT to pro RG)

2017 OL Sean Harlow (college LT to pro OG)

So taking another college LT to move inside doesn't hurt.

Brian O'Neill

Summerhill and datchrisb1 like this

On 1/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, kiwifalcon said:

Op your first two problems on your go to list relate 2 the offensive side of the ball yet you've gone defense early.

For me I'd be looking TE and an inline pass catching and blocking guy with one of those first 2 picks,you want to improve the offense TE is the biggest position of need.

Also I think this is quiet possibly one of the only drafts where we could in actual fact just add talent position regardless.

Yea, I don't see it that way. When we need 3 yards, 2 yards, or struggle to get touchdowns in the redzone, the idea of all we need is a tightend isn't screaming in my head. We had the same tightends last year. I still believe in best available as well as fulfilling needs. Why restrict yourself to a guard when you also need a corner and the corner is the better player and you can get the guard later. Improving the team best is improving the team with the best players. Why improve one when you can do both. If we need a guard and we improve our defense the offense gets more snaps, and we still shore up the guard position, win win.

I agree with you on 4 and 5. Are those "issues" or "problems" no, but would it improve the team to focus on improving those areas yes. But #3, I don't get it, I don't know, maybe you like the death by paper cut thing. The defense gets worn down because they are simply playing to many snaps. To be honest, that sounds like that Geico commercial of people who like horrible things, like kids kicking your seat on an airplane or hot coffee spilling in your lap.

I think we should always add talent first simply because it's a team game. Talent and how much the player contributes should come number 1 regardless of if we are 3-13 or 13-3. It's whatever player with the most talent, who can contribute the most IMO.

kiwifalcon likes this

On 1/12/2018 at 9:14 PM, kiwifalcon said:

Yea, don't get it. To me short yardage and 3rd down defense is really 1a and 1b. If we get better on short yardage ****, that would improve the redzone as well.

On 1/12/2018 at 2:18 PM, Summerhill said:

Thanks for your effort. 

1.) Do you think Bryan could play the Red Bryant/Michael Bennett SDE role rather than DT? 

3.) 4th round is high for a FB, even the very end of the round where the Falcons are picking. 

1. I think he could play both.

2. He plays left tackle now. Played guard last year.  Wynns in my opinion is top 5 as far as athleticism when you consider the guards coming out this year. But that's just my opinion. 

3. It's that much of a need on this team in my opinion and realistically he wouldn't come off the field, he can play pass pro, great hands he played TE at SDST in that spread offense, the player I picked wouldn't come off the field, would contribute a great deal. We need to improve in short yardage, it's that much of a need for us.

Your mock seems reasonable, as long as it includes an OG signing in free agency.  While a first round OG is probably not in the cards for us (Nelson will be off the board), we should have some good choices in the second round.    

The OL is, without a doubt, our gaping hole......and it could get worse very soon.  Levitre is expensive and will likely be gone.  Wes is a distress.  Garland is a career backup and Harlow is probably better suited to be Mack's understudy. 

We have a lousy situation along the interior OL.  Mack is great, but aging and our OG's just plain suck.  If we don't secure that area of the offense, it will not matter who is calling the plays, we will continue to crap out in the Red Zone.

Kudos to our defense.  Smart draft picks, FA signings and excellent coaching from Manuel.  Well done, guys.   

Slappywhite likes this

1. Billy Price OG/OC Ohio State

2. Harrison Phillips DT/DE Stanford

3. Duke Ejiofor DE Wake Forest

4. Dimitri Flowers FB Oklahoma

6. Trade - see below

7. Nyles Morgan ILB Notre Dame

Extend: Matt Ryan (see Stafford contract) and Jake Matthews (see David Bakhtiari contract)

Saves $10 million for 2018

Resign: Dontari Poe ($6 mil in 1st year; see Hankins contract), Matt Bryant ($2.5 mil), Courtney Upshaw ($1.5 mil), Ahtyna Rubin ($1.25 mil), Ben Garland ($800k)

Let Walk: Adrian Clayborn, Taylor Gabriel, Ishmael, Roberts, and others

Started with $18 million in cap space, added $10 million (extensions), to have $28 million, now down to $14 million prior to free agency.

Cuts: Levitre (June 1; saves $8 million), Brooks Reed (June 1; saves $5 million), and Shelby (saves $3 mil)

Now up to $30 million for Free Agency:

Tyler Eifert TE ($4 mil in 2018)

Andrew Norwall OG ($7 mil in 2018)

Danny Amendola WR ($3 mil in 2018)

Trade 2018 6th rounder and 2019 4th rounder for Michael Bennett (cap hit $8 mil in 2018)

Cap Remaining: $8 million for Rookie Class and others

Upgraded LG and RG

Upgraded TE

Upgraded Base DE

Upgraded slot WR & PR/KR

Upgraded DL depth with youth

Upgraded FB

Only lost rotational DL players in Clayborn, Shelby, Reed - Replaced with Michael Bennett, Phillips, Ejiofor

Slappywhite likes this

6 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

6. Trade - see below

Extend: Matt Ryan (see Stafford contract) and Jake Matthews (see David Bakhtiari contract)

Resign: Dontari Poe ($6 mil in 1st year; see Hankins contract), Matt Bryant ($2.5 mil), Courtney Upshaw ($1.5 mil), Ahtyna Rubin ($1.25 mil), Ben Garland ($800k)

Started with $18 million in cap space, added $10 million (extensions), to have $28 million, now down to $14 million prior to free agency.

Cuts: Levitre (June 1; saves $8 million), Brooks Reed (June 1; saves $5 million), and Shelby (saves $3 mil)

Trade 2018 6th rounder and 2019 4th rounder for Michael Bennett (cap hit $8 mil in 2018)

Upgraded LG and RG

Upgraded TE

Upgraded Base DE

Upgraded slot WR & PR/KR

Upgraded FB

Only lost rotational DL players in Clayborn, Shelby, Reed - Replaced with Michael Bennett, Phillips, Ejiofor

Wow, MTIR, nice work.  I will need to review this, but on first glance it looks terrific.  Not sure about Amendola, but the thought is sound. 

Well done, sir.

I want the best player possible at pick 26. No needs based drafting this year. If its Chubb or Michel, take them, if its a wr take them. Im sick of missing out on talent due to needs based and importance.  

This isn't just for skills positions, if the best 2 players happen to be guards in the first two rounds, lets double down on them. Our changes need to come from within this year, lets just go get the best players available to us and look for them to contribute when they are ready. 

7 hours ago, etherdome said:

Wow, MTIR, nice work.  I will need to review this, but on first glance it looks terrific.  Not sure about Amendola, but the thought is sound. 

Well done, sir.

Thanks man...I think the slot WR, PR/KR is a huge need on this team in order to open up the vertical game and outside passing game. I dont have the stats on our "middle of the field" passing, but it cant be good.

I dont see a good slot guy in this draft in the middle rounds? Maybe Pettis? I like the guys from OKST both bring something different: Ateman could be Julio's replacement and a huge outside WR. Not sure his speed though until testing, but that could move Sanu into the slot where I think he could excel? Washignton blows the top off of the palce. I dont think he is quick and its more pick up speed, but man that could open up more crossing routes, etc. I just look at what Will Fuller has brought to Hopkins in opening him up bc defenses must respect it.

Just thinking out loud....this offe-season will be interesting.

Plus, we were 31st in the league in starting field position. That is squarely on the KR/PR and return game. Plus the turnovers gained being lower this year, but Roberts was terrible and its time for Armstrong to go.

Needs:

OG

TE

PR/KR/WR

DL (if keep Poe, this needs to be getting younger with a Base DE, or this needs to be DT if no Poe)

The last three not sure of the order, but I think TE and/or WR/KR/PR could be upgraded by the other some?

On 1/12/2018 at 1:35 PM, datchrisb1 said:

Just more specifics of how I look at things when I do a Mock.

Specific core areas we need to improve (in order of importance)

• 1. short yardage gains (when it's 3rd and inches, how well can we execute)
  • 2. improve our red zone efficiency (inside the 20 when the field is condensed, how well do we execute)
  • 3. 3rd down defense, I don't think we have a problem getting them to 3rd down, just a problem getting off the field
  • 4. Creating more turnovers
  • 5. Big plays on offense

Round 1: Taven Bryant DT (Florida: Applies to improvement #3)- Teams struggling on third down defense can be from a number of issues.  This is a pick meant to improve defense against short yardage as well as passing situations on 3rd down. Bryant is a quick twitch athlete who can improve both.

Round 2: J.C. Jackson CB (Maryland: Applies to improvement #3 and #4)- This is a pick meant for 3rd down on passing situations. This usually depends on a team's overall speed, ability to form tackle prevent YAC, and corner depth. This improves all 3 areas, he's a head hunter, physical corner who can play well in man coverage. You can be taught zone, man is something that either you have it or you don't.

Round 3: Isaiah Wynns OG (UGA: Applies to improvement #1)- Just because it's the number one area of improvement doesn't mean you have to spend a 1st round pick on that area. And just conceptually, outside zones aren't the best at achieving short yardage. In a way that's what I see in the Saints, they have personnel for both and run both. Wynns fits perfectly in what we do as far as zone blocking goes, he's a very athletic lineman who can get to the second level very quickly. 

Round 4: Nick Bawden FB/TE (SanDiego St: Applies to improvement #2 and #1)- Bawden has good hands and is a legit run blocker when needed. There can be a lot of reasons teams struggle in the red zone. The majority of the time is overall execution in general. They have a condensed shortened field, you have to be spot on in doing what you are suppose to do and being where you are suppose to be especially in a primarily timing type offenses. The most well rounded balanced offenses are the best in the red zone. And I don't mean well rounded as in you attempt both run and pass, I mean well rounded as you are efficient in both run and pass. Zone blocking run plays will struggle without a very good fullback, if you don't believe me, look at the difference between last year and this year for our team.

Round 6: Brandon Powell KR/WR (Florida: Applies to improvement #5)- Very under the radar because of Florida's lack of a QB. He's is a playmaker. A threat for 6 points every time he touches the ball.

Round 7: Byron Cowart DE (Auburn: Applies to improvement #3)- Just a shot in the dark really, I remember hearing about this dude and hoped he would play for UGA. He hasn't lived up to the hype but he could be one of those players who arrive with a chip on their shoulders and shine at the next level.

I like the way you laid that out, (different) but I do have some issues with it. It seems to me that some of these players would be in for just one play or a back up role. Can we really afford that luxury. Just not sure that it can go that way. Further discussions required.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:13 AM, etherdome said:

Your mock seems reasonable, as long as it includes an OG signing in free agency.  While a first round OG is probably not in the cards for us (Nelson will be off the board), we should have some good choices in the second round.    

The OL is, without a doubt, our gaping hole......and it could get worse very soon.  Levitre is expensive and will likely be gone.  Wes is a distress.  Garland is a career backup and Harlow is probably better suited to be Mack's understudy. 

We have a lousy situation along the interior OL.  Mack is great, but aging and our OG's just plain suck.  If we don't secure that area of the offense, it will not matter who is calling the plays, we will continue to crap out in the Red Zone.

Kudos to our defense.  Smart draft picks, FA signings and excellent coaching from Manuel.  Well done, guys.   

Agreed

On 1/14/2018 at 9:39 PM, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

6. Trade - see below

Upgraded LG and RG

Upgraded TE

Upgraded Base DE

Upgraded slot WR & PR/KR

Upgraded FB

I liked everything besides getting Bennett, I do not want his attitude or play in our locker room or team. That guy is a huge problem. Also I would keep Clayborn but cut Upshaw instead, not sure if that's viable but I would switch them up. Btw why draft a guard 1st round and then sign one of the best in Norwall? I dont think that happens, too much investment there. I think we either get Norwall or keep Poe and to me I would rather get Norwall. Poe is a bit oldish and I would rather draft his replacement like Vea or Payne or something along those lines. Man the Falcons have many options and routes they can take, I hope it all works out.